Register now to get rid of these ads!

History A Tip of the Hat to the 2 door Hardtop.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jive-Bomber, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. The idea of a hardtop seems silly on paper.. "let's make convertible with a hard-top that doesn't come off" .. Mmmkay.

But they nailed it. I love them. Some things need to be seen to be understood.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    Spooky likes this.
  3. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

I gotta agree with you Jive-Bomber. Some might argue that tail fins were the defining style of the 50's, but truth to tell, most of the fins detracted from the lines of the car (that's only my opinions of course). Love the hardtops, 2 and 4-door.

4. atomickustom

atomickustom

I'm a fan of coupes myself, but in pure stock form hardtops are the best looking body style of almost any make/model car. And I know in 1949 or '50 coupes must have looked really old and outdated and those hardtops must have seemed so sleek and modern. It's really the end of cars that look horrible stock and soooo good chopped.

Pat Ganahl blames Larry Watson for killing off traditional customizing but I think hardtops did it. (Why chop when you can buy a hardtop and just lower it and look just as sleek?)

In fact, the '53 Chevy sedan in my avatar is chopped to the same height as a stock Bel Air hardtop!

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I hate that my '54 is NOT a hardtop. They just look way better right off the bat.

dan31 likes this.
  6. hendo0601

hendo0601
    from Tacoma, WA

In my opinion there is nothing that looks better than a 57-58 MoPar 4 door hardtop car. They look a mile long and so sleek with all the windows rolled down.

7. hmmmmmm how about a tudoor hardtop wagon...?

8. seldom scene

seldom scene

My first car was a 50 Oldsmobile Holiday Hardtop custom. It was nosed, decked, chrome fender decorations removed lowered [dago'ed], hopped up 303, painted naples orange and had the first set of baby moons in town. I was 16, ignorant and poor. I loved that car, but by the time I got it was worn out. It was banned from the high school parking lot because it leaked trans fluid so bad kids were tracking it into the halls. I ended up trading it in for a 55 chevy, also a hardtop. My friends told me the olds went down the road sideways. I still wish I had that car back now that I would be able to fix it. That's the way it goes youth is wasted on the young!

9. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Hardtops Rule!

Spooky likes this.
  10. fryguy

fryguy

Nice talking point Jive Bomber, I agree with both you and Dan Hay. On paper it just seems silly but the major manufacturers went ahead and tried it anyway and wha la, history is made.

The pillarless hardtops make it look like the top of the car is floating. Proper chops on customs only further enhance this look if done right

Fryguy

11. froghawk

froghawk

Two door hardtops are almost certainly my favorite body style and one that is sadly almost entirely gone from today's auto marketplace.

The early ones are great but some of the best-looking ones came a bit later, in '57, on the Dodge and Plymouth. The profile of that roof seems simple, perfect and beautiful.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. 1949 caddyman

1949 caddyman
    from arizona

I liked them so much that I got one.

Attached Files:

13. mgbtc

mgbtc

The two door hardtops are beautiful! And some of the four doors were ever nicer, seemed to flow with the body lines. And then there were the pillar-less wagons, 57 Olds and Buicks. And the Chryslers.

14. cosmic12

cosmic12

I agree they are the best. I searched and searched for a 49 to 54 Chevy H/T before I got my coupe but just couldn't find one.......I could afford,
    They do bring the top dollar.:rolleyes:

rockable likes this.
  15. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Hard tops are just plain cool, and at the risk of being "Upper Class" (which I guarantee you I ain't) are very elegant...
    And as said many 4 doors also fall into this category, such as '56 Chevy, '57 Ford, and several others...
    Great picture..
    Also....
    Can anyone tell me what the original term "Hard Top" meant ?? As the post version also had a 'Hard' top...

16. Because it looked like a convertible[soft-top]...?

17. I love them too. One of the things I like most about the hardtops is that when you roll all the windows down, you didn't need air conditioning to get cool.

Except for that trip I took through El Paso in summer....nothing helped then.

18. oldthudman

oldthudman

It's a shame this body type has all but disappeared.......To my knowledge only one 2 door pillar-less (hard-top) coupe is made today and that is the MB CL coupe ((AKA) or the S Class Coupe').........Today the term "hard top" seems to apply to the retractable top coupes........

19. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The name was originally "hard top convertible" later shortened to "hardtop".

20. In addition to the GM models mentioned by Jive-Bomber, Pontiac also introduced a 2 door hardtop. Here is a photo of my 1950 Catalina, I regret letting it get away, I won't make that same mistake with my '57!

Attached Files:

21. flamingokid

flamingokid

Mopar definitely had it going on.

22. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I don't know about other brands but hard top Chevys had chrome bows on the headliner to simulate a soft top.

23. my 56 olds has them chrome bows too...

24. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

Factory Hardtops are the best! Here is my 53 Belair driver and my 51 Belair future kustom project.

Attached Files:

427 sleeper and kidcampbell71 like this.
  25. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The proportions of this coupe are simply perfect. While it doesn't technically have a 'B' pillar you might still refer to this as an early hard top. No sheet metal frame remains on the door when the window is lowered, and in fact it's the same door used on their conv cpe, what they called a "Coupe Roadster". This is a 1934 Packard 2/4 coupe on the 1101 chassis with a 136" WB. In my mind it was among the earliest of hard tops. [​IMG]

26. 50Fraud

50Fraud

My two Victorias:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. autobilly

autobilly

I'm thinking that "The General" was actually paying attention to chopped traditional custom rooflines when the first hardtops were conceived.

28. The `63 Chevy hartop even has sort of faux convertible top bow shapes pressed into the roof.

[​IMG]

Cosmo49 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  29. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

53 Coupe Deville

Attached Files:

30. All the cool kids had hardtops... according to my ol' man :D

[​IMG]