Register now to get rid of these ads!

A timely reminder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Dec 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. With The New Year celebrations fast approach please be careful and don't Drink & Drive.

This marks 10 years since my daughter was hit head on by a drunk driver and our family has to live with the effects of this accident every day.

Be safe,call a cab or have a designated driver. HRP

2. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

HRP,
    Thank you for the reminder. I hope all who see it, heed it. I had a relative who was killed by a drunk driver. Drinking and driving is just incredible STUPID and MORONIC! And those who do it, should be punished severely. If you choose to drink, fine...just let someone else who is totally sober drive you home.:(

Wayne

3. Good words Danny, I gave up drinking 30 years ago after a close call from a drunk driver. I work in a shop that half the staff have lost their licences for drink driving in the last ten years, some twice !!! Will it ever get through to them ?....I hope so. All the best for 2014 Danny and family. JW

4. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

HRP.

Timely indeed, and please wear your seat belts and insist that everyone in the vehicle is belted in as well.

5. sobpunx

sobpunx

A very good reminder. My grandfather was killed by a drunk driver. The driver got less than two years for it. I miss him every day.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. Fourdy

Fourdy

I may be what some would call a hardnose but a drunk getting into a 3000 pound missile and driving is the same as anyone grabbing a gun and indiscriminately shooting into a crowd. As a retired Law enforcement, I have investigated too many fatalities and had to tell families of their terrible loss. And yes, many repeat offenders.

PLEASE don't drink and drive.

Fourdy

7. trollst

trollst

Well, it goes like this, you're coming home from a really good time somewhere and you look at the gauges or a nice ass for a second and cross the center ever so slightly, take out someone else and his oldest kid cause you had one too many beers, kill the kid. You can never go back, never ease the pain, never make it right, but it won't happen to you cause you got your shit together.......well....it'll ruin your life too. My buddy is dead now, shot himself in the head, couldn't deal with the carnage he'd caused, it has hurt a ton of folks on both sides of both families. Have a great memorable new years, but don't drive home if you've been drinking. I wish all of you a great new years, hoping it brings good things to all of us, enjoy.

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Knowing that the above story could happen to anyone is why I quit drinking 15 years ago. Hope 2014 is a Great Year for everyone. Bob

9. I dont drink, just never took it up I guess. I do go clubbing often and get to be sober and witness all the drunks on the road once or twice a week, and its just scary.

New Years Eve and Christmas Eve are the only two nights a year I absolutely will not drive my lighter hot rods. They just wont be a fair match if a drunk in a newer heavy car hits one.

Many services (AAA, towing services, taxis) offer FREE RIDES if you have been drinking. Take them up on it. Since you will be sober sometime between now and NYE, get the phone numbers you need and put them in your wallet (or purse).

THERE IS NO EXCUSE.

10. I agree with the theme of this thread 100% and my heart goes out to anyone that has lost kin in a drunk driving accident. I haven't done any amount of drinking for close to 30 years, but now I will ask a provocative question.
    Why is it legal to consume a mind altering drug (alcohol) in the first place? It is legal to get sloshed so you don't know your name, but yet you are supposed to know enough to not drive. I'd like to hear a good explanation for this conundrum. I think it might have something to do with tax dollars doesn't it?
    I plan to stay at home with my wife as I always do on New Years Eve, that way neither of us will be in harms way from a drunk driver.

11. Model T1

Model T1

I also agree with most of what's written here. Sadly those who drink and drive won't read things like this or listen. It won't happen to them. But it does every day!
    Be safe everyone and come back January 1st.

12. Listen Up! Be Safe if not for yourself then for someone else's loved ones.

13. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

My uncle was killed drinking and driving. In a weird twist of fate he pulled out in front of one of our neighbors on a busy highway while drunk and was hit in the drivers door. The neighbor lady had no injuries on the outside but was devastated on the inside. I don't think she ever got over it even though it was not her fault. So sad and it just proves that nothing good comes from DWI.:(

14. BillyM

BillyM

Thanks HRP, and everyone else who chimed in in support.

HRP, it must be tough and I feel for you.

I lost a brother in law (who was a drunk driver) 25 years ago, and still miss him very much. Unfortunately, he also took the life of his buddy in the passenger seat. I'll never forget meeting the buddy's parents at the funeral. Never. That one night tore two families apart, and ours was never the same.

Drunk driving is NOT cool, and should never be condoned. Have a good time, but for christ sakes stay over night.

15. big bad john

big bad john

HRP ......sorry for your loss. maybe your message will stop somebody from drinking and driving...God bless

16. badnabor

badnabor

Back in my younger days, we used to refer to New Year's Eve as "amateur night". I'm thinking that's still the case. Sadly it sometimes takes alot of grey hairs to affect the grey matter between our ears. Think ahead and happy New Year to all!

17. This was posted elsewhere referring to this thread,where I respect TR Walters with his passion & depth of knowledge relating to all things Hemi related,unfortunately his callousness & impudence has no depth.

TR,I pray you never have to experience a child or loved one one who's life is devastated by a drunk driver.

If my OFF TOPIC thread flips a switch and makes someone think before they climb behind the wheel after a night of revelry I believe it's worth the disrespect you have for me. HRP

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

The loss of respect of one guy while gaining the respect of thousands is a worthwhile tradeoff IMO. Safe 2014! Bob

19. I drove AAA for a long time
    I have had to clean up after many DUI's some times several per evening
    I would tow any one home free or a ride home
    I watched many lives renewed
    I started driving at 13. no license was needed for emergency vehicle's handled my first fatal just before 14 I am 63 now. this has worked on my life I am still in a wrecker
    DO NOT DRINK & DRIVE

20. Jason455

Jason455

I understand you're pain but we're all these people driving 1964 and older hamb friendly cars?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. Jason do you really?,people have be driving drunk since the first automobiles made their debut to the general public,,are you convinced that hambers are somehow immune to drinking and driving..regardless of what their means of transportation is at any given time.

Look around at your friends that own pre '65 cars & trucks,can you seriously say none of the guys at some time or another haven't attended a show in their early cars and not had a few drinks and get behind the wheel?

I am in no way condemning anyone for partying and having a good time just trying to get guys to think...long term. HRP

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  22. New Years eve bump,we all know there will be a lot of revelry tonight and into the early morning hours..please be careful. HRP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.