Register now to get rid of these ads!

A thief's best friend?!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hudson hot rod, Apr 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hudson hot rod

hudson hot rod

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Serious repo rig there that could make a thief's life easier.

I used to see a young couple in a repo rig cruising the mall parking lot on a regular basis with the guy driving and his lady reading off a list of cars that were on the repo sheet. When they found one they were looking for it took them less than a minute until they had it hooked and were gone. They would wheel in the police station parking lot and tell the police that they had the car though. From spot the car, stop at the cop shop and off to the impound was less than ten minutes.
    It might be advisable for folks at rod runs and car shows to keep an eye out for repo rigs cruising around though. and maybe even get a quick photo or two of one if you spot it.

3. wow thats cool in a pracical sense (i used to rive a tow truck for work) but scary as hell in a theft sense:eek:

4. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

I hate regulations as much as anyone, but considering the current state of affairs and these advancements in technology, I really think all tow rigs need heavy restrictions.

5. too right. sounds like over there anybody can just go an get a towtruck, over here you need a tow lisence which you cant get without a criminal history check (one criminal charge and no lisence) before you can even load the thing (you can drive an unloaded tow truck on a normal truck lisence)

6. narlee

narlee

That's just scary. I try not to worry too much but they won't let up.

7. This is old technoligy. The tow outfit i worked at in '95 had a simular truck. In reality any good driver can hook a car in a minute with an older truck with a conventional wheel lift.

8. gwarren007

gwarren007

Rule #1
    1. DON'T FINANCE YOUR HOBBY

9. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

I used to drive one of those for my buddy who owns a tow company. It's called a self loader. You have a switch box in the cab with a bunch of toggles on it for the controls kind of like the guys use for air bags.

10. Makes it hard if you have a 4WD truck.

11. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

Holly crap that sucks.Just goes to show ya ,if they want your car bad enough they WILL GET IT! no matter how much anti theft devices you use. Nobody even notices a car alarm going of anymore.I was picking up a doctors Mercedes in the hospital parking garage to work on and I set off the alarm 3 different times trying to disarm it.The security guards didn't even look my direction,didn't care and I drove it right past them without any notice.I sure don't fit the description of someone that would drive a car like that.LOL.

12. I don't think that we're talking about getting your hot rod reposessed, we're talking thieves with tow trucks... When your car is reposessed, it is not stolen.

Anybody can buy a tow truck and use it for whatever purpose they choose, legal or otherwise, until they get caught.

13. :confused:Yea just what we need more laws? Do you really believe a bunch of regulations& restrictions would stop a thief? A car thief is already a brazen lawbreaker ! OldWolf

14. firingorder1

firingorder1

Rule # 2

Don't spread how to repo/steal cars across the web.

15. Oldb

Oldb

I have heard that tow trucks with that type of repo picker are in fact very high on the most stolen list.

B

16. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Quoted for truth, although it may make it harder to acquire a tow rig, I still don't think taking away more freedom is the answer.

17. California already has laws governing tow truck drivers and towing firms. How well they are enforced I have no idea ....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.