Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods A Tearfull Goodbuy to Runaround Sue's 55 Gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MercDeuceMan, Jun 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This story gets deep, so read it carefully a couple of times before blasting away on anyone.

My wife Susie was able to purchase the 55 gasser of her dreams last Wednesday night. She had a chance to buy it 3 years ago from friends of ours in the car club who built the car and couldn't swing the dough.
    When the car became available she knew she wanted it. We had a verbal agreement to buy on Wednesday night from the builder who was also the caregiver of the car. Went to the bank on Thursday, took the truck and trailer to pick it up, handed over the check and brought the car home. I was so happy for her. It's been a while since I have seen her so excited about getting a car she could say was her very own. The title was tied up at the bank. I've known the builder for quite some time so our money and the title were never an issue.
    The builder took Susie's check to the local bank to get the title and was told another local buyer had already paid for the car and gained possession of the title at virtully the same time we did our transaction.(The banker had been given power of attourney by the seller to release the title.)
    The person who has the title knew Saturday at the Muncie Drags that Susie had bought the car and had possession of the car and did not even approach either her or I about the. situation.
    We have seeked legal advice for the convoluted situation at hand but haven't received much love there either.
    I understand where everyone is coming from and we realize that we will have to give up possession of the car soon. Her certified check is safe and there is no issue in getting it back.

What truely sucks is the person who has the title has demonstrated thru his actions over the past week that he really doesn't care whether he gets the car or not.
    For example, he laid out some major $$ for a car a week ago today and has made no effort to locate the car.
    Today the builder and the seller went to him and offered him not only all of his money back for the car but an additional $5,000 in cash if he would relinquish the title. Imagine in todays economy being able to make 5K profit in 5 days and all you had to do was hand over a title.
    He would not do it.
    He comes from a wealthy family, doesn't work and admits he is a complusive buyer. He has many cars and a bunch of high performance parts he has collected. Walks around with flyers that he hands out at local car shows but when it comes time to put the rubber on the road, won't part with squat. Lives on the south side of Indy
    It's like the only reason he wants the car is because he knows someone else wants it. I don't get it.
    It is just amazing how some people are wired
    Now everyone feels bad about the whole deal except the person who has the title. (lol)
    We still have the car. No word from the guy who paid the money for it and has the title.

Needless to say, the whole family is pretty bummed about this whole deal.

I'm outta here.
    John

2. Old61

Old61
    from PA

It'll come around again and be a better deal too!

3. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Bastard! People like that need to take a long walk off of a short pier, and believe me, I know a few. Sorry to hear it.

4. John,

The situation as described really is disheartening.

Without being as ass, I'd be inclined to make the buyer come a get the car. Most of these loosers wouldn't know how to hook up a trailer or load a car, they hire everything done or con some of their "hangers on" to step and fetch for them. So make him step and fetch, ask him what his plans are for it.... when he mumbles something about it being a nice addition to his collection, tell him "stamps, coins and tea-cups are for collecting" and turn and walk away.

It sounds a lot like two particular "goldchainers" around here, they'd rather sell something out of state at a loss than see something they once owned being admired and getting the attention they wanted when it was theirs. The two here can and do throw obscene amounts of money at projects and are shocked when everyone walks on by their latest stack of cash - Its a matter of character and that you cannot buy.

Sorry about the situation, I hope its resolved to your satisfaction.

s.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009

5. Ghost28

Ghost28

So the builder is no longer the seller. But just the caretaker of the car for the seller. Yet the builder was gonna go to the bank for you to purchase the car. But the seller had given power of attorney to the banker to sell the car. What was the builder getting out of this storage and why was he storing it in the first place. Maybe a storage lean on the title would shake up the seller or buyer to do the right thing. Prolly not. But my heart goes out to you and your wife. Good luck with this...ghost

6. deuces94

deuces94
    BANNED
    from Minnesota

Maybe the asshole a HAMB'er.

7. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

Just sit on the car until he askes for it, then hit him with a HUGE storage bill!!!!

Ops....I type to slow, sorry

8. dennisk

dennisk
    from Indiana

John,this really sucks. I feel bad for Susie and the whole family over this. I've heard people talk about the guy with the title. I have never met him nor do I really care to. The next time we're together you could tell me his name so I can avoid him like an STD. I'm sure that somewhere down the road Susie will be able to get her "dream " car because good things do happen to good people. You and your family are good people.

9. 64krusty

64krusty

hmmmm.....sounds like the guy is an asshole....maybe ya just got yerself a new motor and transmission....hint hint

10. you do have the option of placeing a lein on the car for storeage at the state approved rate plus towing and hold the car till the lein is paid in full. or forfit the car
    as moneys owed. its very legal.

11. wow, that sucks bad! id make him come and collect it. what a tosser.

12. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Ah crap, I feel so bad for her. :(
    Karma is a bitch and will come around and get the dude.

13. 46chevypanel

46chevypanel
    from york,pa

dude that sucks very bad i can only amagine what you guys are going through, and hell yes i would make him pay for storage and there is aalawys a little sand or piss or anything good in the gas.. it's asses like this that make t bad for real hot rodders ones that work for everything not get it on a silver platter family of his must be with the govt. asshole

14. 61 chevy

61 chevy

an extar 5 k, that dont make sence, what kind of history does the car have

15. 94hoghead

94hoghead

I guess that there are Assholes everywhere you go. Hang in there. I'm hope something better will come your way.

16. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I don't believe in karma or what goes around comes around. you need to do it yourself.

I'd put metal shavings from my die grinder on the crankase or something equally evil.

17. 1oldrat

1oldrat

Take all the good stuff off the car and charge him the storage and towing

18. Meyer

Meyer

I would like to know who it is too. I would like to avoid him.

19. Push it into a ravine.

Sorry it fell off the trailer while we were moving it..thats why we felt we had to buy it..
    But we dont want it now.

Seriously. I know it fucks up a good car but another can be built or found.

If you don't do that, then charge him storage and towing at a minimum.

Sorry this asshole is playing that way.

20. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

keep the car and buy another title, fuck the prick!

21. The builder/builders are brothers who are good friends of ours. They have the burgundy 55 gasser you see in the Muncie Dragway Thread.
    When they built their burgundy car there was a lot of interest from others wanting to buy it. They contracted Tom Culbertson to build a clone to their car. It's a twin to the burgundy one except it is black. Not quite as much motor as their car but can back it up with nitrious.

Once it was finished it was sold to a guy who had it up until last week.
    The whole time he owned it he hardly ever drove it. He left it at the brothers garage and told them "drive when ever you want".
    The owner of the 55 has invested in 63 unfinished homes in the Indianapolis area from a sale of a home builder who went bankrupt. He went to his local bank who is financing his venture. They wanted him to add more skin to the game and asked for his car collection, toys, etc as collateral with the promise he would sell as many as he could and turn it into cash. Thus, the sale of the gasser.
    The builder is getting nothing out of this deal except the satisfaction of Susie having a cool car they had a hand in building.

VonDust has even felt complled to go to his house tonight to try and reason with him on this deal.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  22. PM me. Not my style to blast by name on the internet

23. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I am speechless and feel absolutely terrible. Now I really do wish I would have asked Sue one more time to drive my car on Saturday!!! Damn it.

I understand all the anger from those that read this story, but I doubt John and family will do anything less than act professional. Top Notch folks here.

Having Dustin make an attempt to work this out is wise. What is the worst that can happen, he gets his nose rubbed? But you never know, perhaps the man will come to his senses and see that the car belongs in the garage of a car crazy family.

24. Ghost28

Ghost28

There was a perfect 55 gasser listed on craigs list amonth ago in colorado. I say perfect cause I knew the original builder the guy had talent and also worked at mark williams enterprises building race chassis while he was building it. I will do some checking to see if it is still for sale and get back in touch if it is...ghost... ps again sorry for your misfortune

25. I believe in karma....and a dead carp under the back seat.

26. Dave K

Dave K

Just be glad you have the money back in your pocket. Some people have much bigger problems then having a big wad of cash and no pre built car to buy.

27. Mopar34

Mopar34

Sorry to learn that there are still evil bastards in the world, and particularly in your neighborhood. He has the title, you have the car. He paid for the car, so if there is no chance that he will let it go to you, then give it him.

I'd dismantle it and give it to as a basket case. Title doesn't say what condition the car was in. Odds are he doesn't even have insurance on the car if it did fall off of a trailer. :eek:

28. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

i agree sit on it and wait for him to make a move in the mien time let him rack up a storage bill. then run a lien sale on it at least you will make some spending cash out of the deal and pay for the next road trip to a show. i would talk to the dmv and see what kind of lien you could do on it for being stored at your house.

29. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

Storage fee's can get really pricey in a short amount of time.

30. sliderule67

sliderule67
    from Houston

If you think about it, a person that takes satisfaction in causing others heartburn is really pitiful. My late wife usta teach low income kids. She always said that some of the behavior problems were "Negative attention is better than no attention at all". Deep down, he's jealous of normal people.

Do what Hamber's most always do. Use a lot of profanity, kick some inanimate things and stomp around.

Then take the High Road; whatever that is. You'll know.

Difficult on the front end, but it's the only way to fly.

My condolences on the disappointment....slide

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.