Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A Speedster Comes Out of the Weeds—Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ClarkH, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Tim

Tim
    from Raytown Mo

Absolutely!

loudbang, Thor1 and ClarkH like this.
  2. glrbird

glrbird

I’ve followed along from the start and you have made something really great from a weird car. Congrats!!

loudbang, Thor1, ClarkH and 1 other person like this.
  3. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks!!! BTW, your signature line cracks me up. But my golf sense of humor is well documented. :D

Kroombit, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  4. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Very glad it was only a minor problem! Speed On, Gary:D

5. Ya dun gud son You may work on my cars anytime.

6. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Before catching everyone up on the speedster’s winter plans, here’s a quick update from a final endurance run we managed before the weather turned. This time my wife joined me as co-pilot. She loves the new windshield; it allowed her to sport a fashionable hat.

170 trouble-free miles (unless you count the headlight knob unthreading), including a jaunt down scenic Chuckanut drive.

That was the end of the season, and now she’s in hibernation. Uh, the car, I mean, not my fashionably hatted wife. I’m plotting out my winter projects.

First off, my cool vintage speedometer when haywire after about 40 miles. So much for cheap solutions. I bit the bullet and sent it out for repair. Sent my oil gauge along with it; it will be recalibrated to a banger-oriented to low-pressure range.

gap-tooth-dash.JPG

The car drives great—tracks nicely, no hint of a wobble. But the front-end has a few sketchy issues I want to address. Chief among them are the split bone mounts, which are not as stable as I’d like.

bone-mount-three.JPG

I’m also going to add a couple lateral braces to the cowl, just to stiffen things a little more.

But my main project is really ambitious. I want to put a decent interior in this thing, and also a top. To that end, I recently acquired this from a neighbor who was clearing out the remains of her old business:

Consew.JPG

This thing is a beast. I swear with a good needle it would sew sheet metal. Came with a commercial steamer, too. I’ve spent the last couple days cleaning and oiling, and now I’m studying Youtube videos. This is the beginning of another DIY odyssey, just like learning to weld and learning to paint. I'll keep you posted.

loudbang, Thor1, Squablow and 15 others like this.
  7. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Looks like you had a great time! Sounds like a good plan for the winter too. Gary

loudbang and Thor1 like this.