Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A Speedster Comes Out of the Weeds—Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ClarkH, Dec 25, 2015.

1. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And then there's that. :D @25mercury, I always enjoy pictures of your car. It is beautiful, and looks to be quite original. The Mercurys I've seen are split between fenderless and the thin stock-style fenders. Nothing with big wheel envelopers like these. Although there is a well-known one in Sweden running Model A Fenders.

This is still in the long-term thinking phase. These fenders intrigue me, and clearly intrigue others, so noodling on this is time well spent. But I promise I won't fall into the "I have them so I might as well use them" trap.

Also, just fyi, there is someone (ahem:rolleyes:) in my household who is very keen on fenders. And apparently they have to be "swoopy."

Nope. I'm taking it with me. :p

No question they would have to attach to the backing plates.

2. It does have a nice coffin shape

loudbang, hfh, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  3. Squablow

Squablow

I could definitely get behind cutting the fronts off similar to how the roadster pickup on the last page looks, and eliminating a bunch of rot and issues in the process.

Using the "original" fenders is going to mean having to take them off to change a tire which would be a pain, but the allure of their unknown history and flowing shape, and their connection with this body really speak to me. Again, easy for me to say that, when I don't have to do any of the work, but still....

They don't get much swoopier.

tb33anda3rd, loudbang, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  4. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

drag.jpg

Hmmm. Fenderless...

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    Hitchhiker, loudbang, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  5. With the fenders on the car .. take some masking tape, & tape off various curves for cut lines. Obviously, the results are numerous.

Bobbed, cropped, halved, trimmed .. whatever. Hell maybe the fronts don't match the back. Figure it out.

I like the fenders too. The easy way out is no fenders. No thinking needed. It is what it is. Easy peasy sh*t, to chunk 'em in the trash.

No challenge there.

loudbang, Stogy, Thor1 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...I hope everyone's recovered from being Dazzled...:D...Yes its loud though reserved and the Movement had the wild colors and graphics individualizing ones pride in Automotive Joy that takes one to a Utopia. There is no other like it...and I get many will run for the Bucket...The Thought of Fenders was enough to do that for some...But this is just a flamboyancy on the flamboyant with ties to Vintage Race and Hotrod...and further just an Inspiration to think about, hopefully enjoy and glean from...I thank @ClarkH again for providing the continued fuel for that Thought of what could be...

loudbang and ClarkH like this.
  8. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for 1948 inspiration, @Stogy. Looks like you were burning the midnight oil putting that together. Very cool. No bucket needed here.

A little earlier I took a shot at recreating it with what I have on hand. It's hard to see in these cramped pictures, but I can't roll the car outside. There's blue tape on the fenders (per @kidcampbell71) giving an idea of where the fenders might be trimmed.

yellow-fenders1.JPG

yellow-fenders3.JPG

In the second pic you'll notice the headlights are dismounted and lying on a small bench in front of the car. The wires are still conneced, which is why I can't move it.

Meanwhile, the headlight brackets are done and have moved on to paint. I'll put it all together this weekend.

brackets.JPG

9. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The yellow fenders are '30s trike. Got them at the Portland Swap Meet four or five years ago. Spotted them in the first hour of setup day, in the booth down the row from me with a $200 price tag. Belonged to a nice guy named Dave whom I've gotten to know over the years. Before I could even make an offer he said, "If you'll use them on that crazy bug of yours, just give me $50."

The have a nice little flip at the back.

yellow-fenders4.JPG

10. 31Apickup

31Apickup

11. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ha! Trust me, we're good. I've given him some nice early oil cans over the years for his collection.

loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your Welcome and Thank you...I Trimmed at or near the Tape lines...I extended the Splash Apron back and actually think the rear looks nicer with the Fender Sides trimmed back like the 49 style Harley

Clark-SideBobV2.jpg

13. Squablow

Squablow

I like the Stogy photoshop, looks really good.

14. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

x2! Thanks, @Stogy!

15. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

16. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the reminder, @Peanut 1959. Ah yes, the old driveway renderings. Man the car's come a long way since then--look, no driver's door. No dash.

Like I've said, using them on all four corners seems a little too Batmobile.

17. I like the yellow ones.

18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Clark_side_Garage2.jpg

Clark_side_Garage3.jpg

:rolleyes:...With Longer Front Fender...Back same...Splash apron was extended back to fill void near back fender...

Clark_side_Garage1.jpg

:rolleyes:...Click Thumbnail to Cycle...

:rolleyes:...Here's a Couple more Inspirations one a bit more Risque but it's a Hotrod and I've always thought The Speedster Crowd were an element of Hoodlum heck look at the word Speedster...Speed & ster...a Speed Gangster and they pacified it to Hoodlum...:D

Anyways Trippy Hotrod @ClarkH

Credit to All that Inspired these

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    oliver westlund, loudbang and ClarkH like this.
  19. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Finished with the headlights today. Big improvement.
    headlight-mounted.JPG

headlights-front-view.JPG

20. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Clark, the headlights and new mounts look great.

Steve

21. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Steve, I appreciate that. Yeah, not bad for what started as a couple chunks out of an old battery tray.

22. Squablow

Squablow

I like the new position of the headlights.

petew, Stogy, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  23. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I like what you've done with the headlights- when I looked at the first pic I didn't see anything wrong but the new mounts are definitely an improvement.

The fenders are a challenge. The ones you got with the car are too full for sure. Maybe an idea, a style when the car was originally built, but I don't think it carries well. Looking at the style of fenders proposed since then, makes me wonder, what about running boards? Just my thoughts. I love what you've done since the beginning.

Devin

Stogy, ClarkH, Thor1 and 1 other person like this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Clark_ArtsyAnglebxw2-(2).jpg

Clark_ArtsyAnglebxw5.jpg

Clark-SideBobV3.jpg

Clark_side1Artsyfront4.jpg

:rolleyes:...Just a couple more refined Inspirations...lots of pictures to aid in your decisions...Not sure of the Skinny Shiny Rear Fender Trim as its not on the front sidecar fender. It might look better smooth but the cowl trim is similar so there is a similar detail to tie in with it aesthetically...

The image with three smaller images has a longer front fender than the earlier one I posted...One thing to consider is the longer the fender the more it guards and shields water and debris....But all this takes some contemplating from a social distance away with a beverage in hand to ponder over...;)

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  25. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Now this aint bad
    [​IMG]

cactus1, Stogy, 41 GMC K-18 and 4 others like this.
  26. Jantrix

Jantrix

A question. I've noticed some speedsters seem to be narrowed into a single seater. How much material would be removed for something like that?

loudbang likes this.
  27. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Looking better all the time!!!:):):)

28. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Gary--for the encourangement and the subtle reminder that I'm overdue on reporting progress.

With time still hanging heavy, I finally got around to improving the seat a little bit. I first covered this seat as a rush job a couple years ago to satisfy the Washington state patrol; before issuing a new title they require, among other things, a covered seat. It was a quick-and-dirty job, foam over plywood, and comfortable for maybe 2.5 miles of driving, tops.

All I did to fix it was the old hotrod trick of cutting holes into the plywood base and stretching nylon webbing across it.

seat-webbing.JPG

I was concerned the thin plywood center between the holes could crack under the weight of two people bouncing on rough roads, so I welded in a central cross brace. Also added some little tabs to secure it.
    seat frame.JPG

I did a trial sit and it’s much more comfortable now. But the real test will come when I drive it. In the meantime, I’m waiting on some foam to be delivered so I can redo the back support.

I’ve also made some progress in resolving the mystery of the fenders. I'm not talking about the intriguing burgundy ones, sorry to say, but rather the yellow “trike” fenders (which I also think are kind of cool).

I started my investigations by removing the remains of the heavy steel mounts that somebody had gas welded to them. The scrap bits weighed in at more than 6.5 lbs!

fender-dross-removal.JPG
    fender-scrap.JPG
    This was the first time I’d ever taken a real close look at the things, and it was interesting. At some point, these fenders had support braces on both sides, and later the outside braces were cut off. You can kind of see what I mean in this pic—the brace passes under the fender and is crudely cut off.

HDfenders-inside.JPG

Then I noticed that they are asymmetrical on the inside. By which I mean, they are not a mirror of each other. You can see what I mean in this side-by-side pic showing the insides.

HD-fender-compare-inside.JPG

Obviously, that’s not how a trike or servicer manufacturer would have designed it. So then I looked closer and realized that not only had the braces been cut off of the outside, but the entire outer edge of each fender had been trimmed as well.

HDfenders-pair.JPG

At this point, I was intrigued enough to being some serious online sleuthing. It actually didn’t take long to get a positive ID—these are prewar Harley Davidson sidecar fenders. 1937, or thereabouts.

HDsidecar.jpg

I’m guessing at some point somebody had a pair of these that they wanted to use on a trike (or maybe a trailer, given the crude brackets I had to cut off). So they trimmed the outside of one and the inside of the other and called it close enough.

The fender details were a perfect match for what I found on HD fenders for sale online.

Front detail:

HD-fender-front detail-.JPG

Rear detail
    HD-fender-rear-detail.JPG

So there you have it. It doesn't bring the fender debate any closer to resolution. But I think it’s pretty cool.

29. .. .. thought of you, in a way .. today.

Screenshot_20200610-115233_Photos.jpg