Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods A slowly but surely build project - 1950 Olds Club Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loosewheel, Nov 13, 2018.

1. belair

belair

I love those cars. Perfect amount of attitude on yours.

lothiandon1940 and loosewheel like this.
  2. 48fordnut likes this.
  3. 49toad

49toad

Great project Loosewheel. Keeping the Oldsmobile name alive.

loosewheel likes this.
  4. Ian 5

Ian 5

Beautiful car, great proportions, and I love the fact that its loaded up with real Olds power.

loosewheel likes this.
  5. bchctybob

bchctybob

Congrats on getting a great car.
    We had several running around the LAX area in the early sixties. One was Bahama Blue with a 394 and fenderwell headers (I later bought the headers for my '47 Ford/Olds) Made me lust after one for all these years but I've never gotten one.
    This is as close as I've gotten so far.......
    Cars 070.jpg

loosewheel and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. Update...!! She is up & running!
    I drove it a little on Monday the 31st!! It's got a exhaust leak, but I believe its just the doughnut gasket and a minor transmission leak that I hope doesn't lead to a major leak too soon.
    Next, fix those issues and get the interior a little more presentable with a set of NOS vintage seat covers!
    50 Olds 6.png

7. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Would love to have one with a 57 J-2 and Muncie 4 speed.

8. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I love those years of Oldsmobile 's I guess I'd better as that's what I drive. Looking at them from the front there isn't a better looking car.

9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yaaaaay!

loosewheel likes this.
  10. I found this picture somewhere on the net a few years ago, it's been on my screensaver ever since. To my eye, it don't get any better than this... 15203353_10211097435622711_6395552802347221700_n.jpg
    I only wish my '51 was a coupe!

11. 1stGrumpy....

SWEEETTT! Thanks for posting!

12. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love those coupes-has two back in the late 60's early 70's. Top of my wish list!!

13. Another step in a positive direction...
    New exhaust yesterday complete with Smithy's, stainless dump tubes and stainless tips!
    It sounds fantastic!!
    Now on to adding those vintage NOS seat covers!
    exhaust2.png exhaust3.png exhaust4.png

14. Yeah - such a gorgeous body style - congrats.
    watching...

loosewheel likes this.
  15. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

those were always kool! loved to have one!

loosewheel likes this.
  16. loosewheel... What are those headlight rings off of?

loosewheel likes this.
  17. They are old JC Whitney "Caddy Look" Stainless eyebrows, not the cool old cast aluminum one piece ones, wish they were!!

1stGrumpy likes this.
  18. Thanks loosewheel, I've got a pair of the old Jeffrey Allen style stainless eyebrow's but you're headlight ring itself is deeper than mine, I guess that's what is throwing me off. I see from one of your interior picture's that it has a tilt wheel, do you know what it is out of? I assume that the steering box was changed as well. Thanks...

loosewheel likes this.
  19. OK, if you are talking about the ring itself I have no idea, thought it was stock, but I can ask some of the guys locally that know the car better than me if they have any idea. As for the column, it is a early to mid 70's van column. They were all tilt & had the smooth keyless shafts. This one was shortened and mated to the Nova steering box on the sub.

48fordnut and 1stGrumpy like this.
  20. Last week was not a good week for the project! It all stated off good with my 1 hour round trip drive to the exhaust shop on Monday, but it was all downhill from there. First I pulled the seats out Tuesday night to put some old plaid NOS seat covers I've had for years. They are tailored to fit my 61 Mercury, but thought I could make them work on these...no dice! So, now I'm looking for a complete set that will fit.
    Then the nose dive on Sunday! Several of my club members (Alabama VooDoo Kings CC) decided to do a little garage crawl since the weather was so nice for January. The first 10 miles drive was good, the next 25 mile stretch was good, but ended in a little coolant puke followed by a 2 minute steam off.
    Then the trip home...hot, hot, hot. It took 4 stops on the way home to cool off, add water, remove the thermostat, and more water. Looks like a complete overhaul of the coolant system is due up next with a trip to the radiator shop for a boil out and some braze work!
    HOT!! 01.27.19.png

bgilardi and 48fordnut like this.