Register now to get rid of these ads!

A simple 1 bbl carburetor/acceleration question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lewislynn, Sep 14, 2010.

1. lewislynn

lewislynn

The accelerator pump seems to work OK on my stock 223 1bbl Ford but then there's a hesitation/flat spot... Immediate response, then hesitation, then runs great... Float level too low?

I did have a problem with flooding so I adjusted the float level, which fixed the flooding but now this.

2. mikeey rat

mikeey rat
    from Australia

The same thing was happening with my 1 bbl rochester in my 6cyl 62 C10 chev .After messing around 4 ages found I had a hole in the float. Makes it impossible to set the level This can happen if you pour cold fuel into a hot carby .

3. canman

canman

A low float level could cause a loss of pump shot volume. It will also lean out the mixture through the whole range due to the lower weight of the fuel acting on the jet.

4. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Duff needle valve seating maybe the cause of the original flooding issue?

Ed

5. mustangsix

mustangsix

If the pump shot is good, it could be a timing issue which is a common problem on early ford sixes.

The loadomatic distributor MUST be timed with the vacuum disconnected and plugged. Otherwise you get some advance from the vacuum diaphragm. Then, as soon as you hit the throttle, all that advance goes away and the engine stumbles.

If the idle advance timing is good, try advancing a couple more degrees to see if that makes a difference. Some engines like a little more lead than others and the 223 has "lazy" combustion chambers.

And check the point gap too. Too much gap = too little dwell and that could cause the coil to not give you a good spark.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010