Register now to get rid of these ads!

A Short Trip for a Reborn Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stutz, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Anxiety, thats what I have at this moment. It seems to me that a person can never be prepared enough when it comes to driving our style of cars. After three plus years and only the HAMB to help me, I have completed the power train swap in my 54 Buick and shes running like a top. However all week long I have been debating with myself If I should take her on her first real "long" trip since the new heart transplant. Last week I was busy as a one armed paper hanger, getting ready for the Absaroka State Takeover. Anxiety like crazy. First show I have ever put on, but it went off with out a hitch. I feel like after last week I shouldnt have this level of anxiety just going on a trip to the south part of Wyoming, just 5 hours from homebase, but I do. Maybe its just how I am, or that I have so much put into my car that the thought of catastrophic failure scares me to the hilt. Regardless, I figure I should document the trip for yalls entertainment. Tommy (DSR_54) and I are driving from Gillette to Cheyenne (Im starting in Sheridan today) for the Road Devils Summer Bash. He's piloting his 58 Ford and I'll be in Anabelle my 54 Buick Special with its 401 Nailhead, TH400, and 56 Olds rearend. Like I said this is the first time I will be leaving Sheridan County under the new powertrain. Im excited but again anxious. I suppose we will see how it goes. God willing and the creek dont rise it will be a smooth adventure. wish me luck and stay tuned for the Photos of the trip...

[​IMG]

2. dsr_54

dsr_54

There are cool cars running around Gillette like crazy, but sad to say I bet almost all of them are on their way to deadwood.

3. man, on my way to Gillette I missed taking a picture of a sign that said "hey HAY for sale"

Buick ran like a champ. Update photos soon

4. Good luck with the trip. Lost my brakes on my 1st major trip, hope you keep yours.
    Gerry

5. Fuel to burn

Fuel to burn

Anabelle looks good! Take a lot of tools, spare parts, and a sense of adventure.
    No sleep 'till Chugwater!

6. Man I am bummed that I didn't get any pictures up last night. Been clicking them off like mad. I called dsr_54 this morning and he had to go on a wrecker call. Fully loaded semi cement truck turned over, so I am waiting for him, then its on to bill, wyoming. Anabelle is still running like a champ. A guy in a 34 olds gave me the thumbs up then proceeded to peel out on down the road. I love hot rodding.

7. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Cool deal, keep us posted.

Why a '56 Olds rear-end? Can you not swap center-sections on a '54 Buick rear-end?

8. [​IMG]
    My brother (plate peddler) loaned me this since we will be in cheyenne, just in case I need to get on the air force base. Fifties era f.e.warren tag.

9. I am like you, always paranoid. I think the waterpump is going on my daily, started making noise while checking out the Forest Fire North of us. Random coolant leak as well.

10. Sorry for the huge photo, ill reduce it when I can get to a computer. Good news however, the cement truck is on its wheels again so the journey will continue shortly

11. Tommys ford like to vapor lock, poor thing.

12. hardknox66

hardknox66

i have faith in Anabelle brother,she's a runner! have a good trip see ya when you get back!

13. Updates, pictures, and play by play tonight, when I get hom. Still on the road.

14. Flatblack26t

Flatblack26t
    from wyoming

Hey Stutz when can I start to place orders for 307 Chap STICK lol Chad told me to ask

15. dsr_54

dsr_54

I just about fell out of my chair...... hahaha

16. Chad will get his chapstick soon enough

17. And we rib you Wyoming fuckers about the sheep............tell me the chapstick aint for the sheep?!

18. Finally Starting to get all the photos loaded...

Friday after noon, all ready to go on Anabelle's big trip. Home base the Big Horn Y in Sheridan, and my co-pilot to Gillette, Duesenberg.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    On the Road headed to Ucross, just barely out of Sheridan County
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anabelle was running great right out of the gates.
    [​IMG]
    Onward to Gillette...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  19. [​IMG]
    Rolling into Clearmont

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  20. Red Dawg?... looks like a black dog to me.
    [​IMG]
    See... black
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Grain

It was hot in there for the little black pup.
    [​IMG]

Hey... its Hay
    [​IMG]

Made it to Spotted Horse. Sweet little bar with alot of great photos on the walls.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Duese finally layed down about 5 minutes before my brothers house
    [​IMG]

21. So my Buick made it on the "test" run to My brothers house in Gillette. I told myself if nothing was going wrong it was a go for the rest of the trip.
    [​IMG]

It was my Brother's (plate peddler) surprise birthday party.
    [​IMG]

Grasshopper carnage
    [​IMG]

Later that night after food and plenty of beer John dug thru his license plates and surprised my with a 50's era F.E. Warren Air Force Base entry tag. He said it would be fitting since I was heading that way...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. Saturday morning, at about 7:45.
    Beautiful morning... for me, Tommy was supposed to be waiting ready to go at his shop in gillette. BUT, he got a service call. Cement truck fully loaded flipped over. I drove right by it on the way to Tommys shop, and spotted Tommy doing his day job.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Notice the wheels where they are not supposed to be
    [​IMG]

While I was waiting for Tommy, I figured I burn some time being artsy
    [​IMG]

Some A-hole parked his yacht in the handicapped parking... haha
    [​IMG]

HAMB props
    [​IMG]

Anabelles younger sister was just chilling on the side of the road.
    [​IMG]

Tommy Mannings Shop... but no Tommy yet
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tommys dog was patiently awaiting his return...
    [​IMG]

More artsy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

By golly he made it!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

you ready?

Im ready.

Ok.

Lets Go.

[​IMG]

23. Oh fine... fuel up first
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally on the road again...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

this is the shitty part... we were not the far out of Gillette when the Ford got mad...
    [​IMG]

Vacuum line and a fuel filter onward again
    [​IMG]

Wright, Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Breakfast time
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the waitress was kind of unpleasant... apparently my hat and penny loafers where offensive.

All I can say about this sign is... do I really need to "beware" of the bottom one.
    [​IMG]

24. Back on the road after breakfast, Anabelle was checking out good. Running great. I was pleased
    [​IMG]

25. I was leading for a bit...

This is almost the point in the story were the Ford started to vapor lock like crazy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

snapped a picture of this cool sign, while Tommy was cooling off the Ford
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That stretch of highway is pretty barren, I was happy to see Mountains again.
    [​IMG]

Just about the Douglas
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CRAZY FACE!!! im just happy to be on the road with my car.
    [​IMG]

Strong winds possible... in this area... they are GUARANTEED!
    [​IMG]

antelopes....
    [​IMG]

Platte River
    [​IMG]

stopping for fuel, Tommy was to bummed for a guy that had to pull over and cool his car down like ten times.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thank god trees instead of grass lands.
    [​IMG]

Trees didnt help keep the Ford cool though.
    [​IMG]

26. Wheatland, Wyoming
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

OH damn it! Poor Ford just hated life that day.
    [​IMG]

My Favorite Picture of this leg of the trip
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Later on.... Chugwater!!! well the rest stop anyway. Across from the rest stop was a gas station were tommy stopped in to get some ice. Literally a minute endeavor, so i pulled up right behind him and jumped out to go in with him. before I was even in the door the "quality" employee said, " you can't park there, thats not a parking spot". I dont work for NASA but i can say, you could have fooled anyone with the whole parking lot being open for parking. As a manager of a convenience store, it really took me by surprise. People are rude all over I guess.

So after chugwater, we were getting closer to Cheyenne when we hit rain. Rain, so what, no big deal, right? It is when neither of our wipers were working ;)
    [​IMG]

27. [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    wasn't even gunna try to get in with my tag...haha
    [​IMG]

Boom Cheyenne. Piece of cake. Truthfully I am so happy with how my car ran, Loved every minute of it. I'll post the show pics soon, and the sweet ones from the return trip.

28. deadendcruiser

deadendcruiser

Glad to see your trip was a success so far. I always have the anticipation that something is going to give on a long trip. So far I've been lucky. The points went out on my 56 when I pulled into the driveway last weekend. :rolleyes:

29. After we stopped at the hotel (Little America, my favorite place to stay) we hauled ass over to the show. The Road Devils Wyoming were really cool right off the bat. I think they were pretty surprised to see me, some of them know me from here but hadnt meet me yet. Anyway we got a pretty sweet spot at the show.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Talked to this guy about his Buick, some really nice people at this show. He wanted me to give my opinion on what size this Nailhead was... 364.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well earned drink...especially for Tom
    [​IMG]

30. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is a damn beautiful car