Register now to get rid of these ads!

A sad site

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 067chevy, Jul 2, 2011.

1. 067chevy

067chevy

Seen this truck load in South Dakota and I tried to buy the doors but he wouldn't sell anything.
    [​IMG]

2. Such a shame. Going to the scrap?

3. kopperkart

kopperkart
    from Wisconsin

Sadly that is happening every day. 1947 Mercury woodie
    [​IMG]

4. Deuces

Deuces

Get'em before they do!!!!

5. Very sad sight. Some interesting Ford tin there. In addition to the loss of some usable parts it's depressing to think that all of these were probably someone's pride and joy when they were new.

6. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Looks like his plan is to drive the entire pile including the tow rig into the scrap yard and call for a ride home:eek::rolleyes:

7. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I see the smilies but fail to see anything that would prompt this response. Post count?:eek::rolleyes:

Frank

8. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

around here the DOT would have a field day with it...

I dont give 2 shits about anyones post count here..no ones..I guess your reply falls into this catagory too eh?:rolleyes:

good morning Frank

9. The MTO here would give him a fine for that strap dragging on the ground to start with... I see what you mean.When I trailer cars that bad I tarp them completely also.

10. All the good stuff is leaving now they make junk!!

11. Harms Way

Harms Way

BOYS !!!!,.... Don't make me pull this web sight over !!!!

12. Harms Way

Harms Way

FWIW,..... That picture actually really disturbs me, Makes you wonder how many "non-car" people have to fall into line for something like this to happen. so many good parts,.... What a shame.

13. fat141

fat141

Friend of mine,RUSTY RICK from VACAVILLE is having the same problem now.
    I am sure some of you know Rusty and his black 40 Ford convertible. Lots to get rid of to beat the fnnn crusher
    Rod

14. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

It does get a little old, but im getting used to him picking on me..must suck to be so cranky:D and so worried about post count:confused:

Seeing stuff like this brings me to think people are hard up..times are tight, they are not thinking about the value of these cars as a project or parts to sell, its all about fast cash to make it to the next fast cash , probably in an effort to survive..sad none the less

I think the key is to get to the people before this happens, with a respectable offer, and doing the complete job of removal without involving them in the labor end of the job

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  15. HOT ROD DAVE

HOT ROD DAVE

thats a cryin shame to see those cars like that, but with the price of scrap metal going up again what do you expect, these people dont have any ideas as to how much these cars mean to people like me and you

16. undergroundss

undergroundss

I have good luck at the recycle yard. If you offer enough coin, the guys jump at the chance to make more than scrap value for the stuff.

17. losthubcap

losthubcap
    from Upstate NY

I think we should set a date, such as today, and everyone on the H.A.M.B. that would like to participate, will go out and try to rescue an old car or truck. We can call it " Starve the Scrapper Day " Its our way of recycling & one way that we can cut down on such horrible images that have become all too common these days !

18. Harms Way

Harms Way

Rifkin is the big scrap yard here in Michigan,... And it don't mater WHAT you offer, It's a one way deal (and I am friends with some of the people that run it),... I seen a old trailer in there one time, made out of the front half of a 1932 Ford frame with a complete 1932 front suspension , with the heavy axle,... I had like $120.00 on me, and finally worked my way up to that amount.

"Nope !,..sorry,..We couldn't sell you a nut, bolt or washer out of here, Period !"
    Was the response.

19. Harms Way

Harms Way

I posted this picture with a thread to "Tweek" you guys a little,... But it was all in fun,... HOWEVER,.. the next time I seen Fab32 after this,.. He beat me with a radiator hose !

20. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

As much as I hate to see old tin scrapped and hate owners/scrappers w/o a conscious for old cars we don't know the story here.

Maybe the owner did list these for sale as a "take everything lot" and zero car guys were seriously interested.
    Sure, the doors look good, but I bet the owner turned down offers of guys offering $50 per door, etc. because in the end he still would have 3 hulks to dispose of. The owner would say "if I sell you all the useable parts off of this for $100, then I'm still (really) stuck with a shell that needs to be scrapped".

The tudor on top is wasted.
    The 4 dr; we don't know if the roof was previously trashed or if loading the tudor trashed it.
    The other tudor looks like it was rolled or sat on its roof.

We don't know if the frames are rusted clear through or if the interiors have any useable parts such as dash, garnish. In actuality, most of us would part these out and haul off 3 wasted shells. A lot of work and maybe nobody was up to it.

In the end, the scrappers bid scraped the lot clean.

21. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Want to save them all?
    Run a ad locally looking for old cars.
    Drive around stopping at farms asking about old scrap cars.
    The cars getting scrapped dont just get on a truck by themselves.
    You have to be proactive and go out and spend time (and some cash) to locate them before the scrappers do.
    I spotted a 55 chevy(post about farm fresh 55)while driving around looking specifically for old cars.I spent a few hours and $60 in gas.When I asked about the 55 the farmer replied he was going to call a scrapper to haul off a bunch of "junk"
    Besides the 55 I already brought home I will be getting a 1937 Chevrolet 2 door sedan,1940 GMC truck,1963 Galaxie and a 1954 Dodge 1/2T pickup.
    These are 60 miles from my house and each will eat up some fuel in the car hauler that gets 10mpg
    For those doing the math thats right around $45.00 per vehicle plus 3 hours of time per vehicle plus the cost to buy each vehicle.Figure $285.00 and 15 hours to get them all home.Thats not counting purchase price of each one.
    Then finding a buyer for each vehicle and getting enough to cover time and expenses and a bit of profit.
    It costs money to save stuff.Talk is cheap,getting off the porch will cost you.

22. uncle buck

uncle buck

I ran an ad for an early 70's Chevy truck that ran for $850 with a good running 454 turbo 400 and you could drive it home and didn't get 1 call or email on it. Removed the radiator and battery to scrap seperately and it was good for almost $800 in scrap.

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

WOW! With scrap prices that high I can understand the load in the OP photo going to the crusher. I've gutted a few cars over the years and the shell did look too bad from a distance. Sadly they all can't be saved, unless you have 20+ acres of land and no neighbors in sight. :)

24. bjs531

bjs531

The old guy went rent our shop from has decided that scrap prices are high enough for his to start clearing out his field. Thing like a perfectly restorable 4 door Bel Air. We told him to at least let us pull the trimpieces and such to offer up to folks who might need them. He told us sure, and then scrapped everything at 6AM the next morning before we got in. Sad state of affairs. He could have gotten the same scrap $$ but helped out a bunch of folks potentially at the same time. Oh well, just goes to show that times are hard, and folks will sometimes do what they have to in order to put a bit of extra cash in their pockets.

25. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

He was probably sick and tired of 'I'll give you the scrap value for it (as long as it's in my budget)" or 'Yes I'll save them all when I have the money"
    I scrap a fair amount of stuff now because I'm tired of dealing with dickheads who want it for free,on a payment plan, or when I get my shit sorted out.
    The scrap Guy pays on the spot.

26. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

That's what I was thinking

27. v8 garage

v8 garage

It must have been a big truck to bring that much money, unless scrap is bringing $400.00 a ton where you are. Scrap vehicles are bringing about $200.00 a ton here.
    V/8

28. Agree, I just scrapped a half ton chevy with a 250 six and the bed full of steel (32 doors, a couple grill shells and a 34 frame) it only brought $300.

29. big_jae

big_jae

people need to start SHARING were thier secret yards are! so more stuff like this doesnt happen.

30. anteek

anteek

x2,English Bob. I've put up with cheap bastards all my life. I've managed to buy most cars/hulls that i asked about by simply offering a half realistic price. Last score was a '51 Ford ragtop;solid but rough, in Georgia. NO,HELL NO its not for sale was the first remark. Then asked what I'd pay; $1500 I volunteered. CASH;yes sir. It's yours. He said everyone wanted it for free or $100. After I paid him he had me back over to his shed and loaded me down with flathead parts,including 2-2's,3-2's,an aluminum flywheel and 3 sets of edelbrock heads. I spent the rest of the day there and made a friend. Cheap doesn't do it! Flippid the car the next day for $5k and kept the flattie parts.