Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest A sad day, we've lost another Legend. Dick Page

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrd32, Jun 12, 2015.

1. From our friends at:

TRJ logo.jpg

The Passing of Dick Page

As many of you have undoubtedly heard, our sport lost a trio of greats this spring with the passing of LeRoi “Tex” Smith, Dick Page and Dick Spadaro. We'd like to take this opportunity to celebrate their lives and invaluable contributions to hot rodding.
    :
    :
    Dick Page, a native of Tacoma, Washington, was active in the Pacific Northwestern hot rod and custom car scene for more than 50 years. A longtime member of both the Washington State Hot Rod Hall of Fame and the Toppers car club, he was known for building and driving some of the region’s most tasteful machines.

:
    :
    Cars of all sorts were a constant in Dick’s life, wrenching on everything from Rolls Royces to Funny Cars in his Parkland, Washington-based shop. He was also a contributing writer for Rod & Custom as well as Tex Smith’s Hot Rod Mechanix. We’ve known Dick for a number of years, and when it was time to put together our Scrapbook, he was happy to share his memories and photo collection with us. His rich images and colorful personality filled the pages with his irreplaceable contributions to our sport. He passed away June 12.

Dick Page Deuce 5wd (TRJ).jpg
    Dick Page's Candy Pagan Gold, S.Co.T.-blown Deuce on the streets of Washington
    courtesy of the Page collection.

:
    :​

Rodders from around the globe have taken to the H.A.M.B. to share their memories of these hot rod pioneers. Be sure to check out the thread honoring Mr. Page here.

Next time you take your hot rod out for a drive, take a second to think about the guys above and all they’ve done for our hobby. They’ll surely be missed.​

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  2. TRJ

TRJ
    Alliance Vendor

I sincerely apologize for this mistake, but that is not Dick with Ed in that photo above. Who it actually is escapes me right now, but I wanted to apologize before anyone got upset. Sorry guys.

Geoff

hotrd32 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

From Dick's Memorial today .....

[​IMG]

4. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

A shot of the gathering at Dick Page's house for his Memorial.

[​IMG]

5. mikeys53

mikeys53
    from Pacific NW

Page , Jack Chrisman the 32 and the Hustler.jpg

This is a picture of Dick talking with Jack Chrisman as Jack works on his HUSTLER 1 Fuel Dragster from the 50's at SIR at the dawn of the nostalgia craze . Chrisman came up along with the original 554 coupe with Jerry Steiner driving the coupe .Both Jack and Jerry burned the tires off the cars and couldn't run in the pm.. Paul's 32 was the push car for Jack.. If you look in the background you can see the wooden board on the front of Pauls sedan.
    Paul was a delightful man, a humble star much better than he ever let himself know. Speaking with him was always a joy. He gave me the best tip ever when writing stories about famous cars, "remember the car may be famous and well known because its a billboard to itself, but the real story is the soul,the person who built it or drives it , focus on that." Thanks Dick , I did.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  6. Sad news, indeed. I had a stock '48 Chevy sedan when I lived in Tacoma in the early '80s I was driving one day in it when it just quit, while in Tacoma. I rolled into a parking lot and lifted the hood to see if I could figure out the problem. He pulled up and asked if I needed help (I did!), and he sorted out a couple of problems I was having with the distributor in what seemed like a few seconds! After the, we shook hands and introduced ourselves. Very nice guy.