Register now to get rid of these ads!

A sad day Another hotrodder lost AZ people read this .

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scooter, Jun 7, 2005.

1. scooter

scooter
    from phx,az,USA

Some may remember a while back we held a benifit car show for LARRY YOUNG and his battle against cancer .Unfortunatly Larry lost his fight and passed away in his sleep sunday night :(.Larry was involved in sprint cars and hotrodding , and was one helluva guy .he will be missed RIP larry .
    ARIZONA PEOPLE and anyone else able to make the trip this friday is LARRY's services being held 4800 east indian school road in phx at 2 pm Again fri the 10th .Place is called whitney murphy .Info will also be in wed and thurs az republic newspaper .
    ALL AZ PEOPLE COMMING PLEASE DRIVE YOUR HOT ROD / OLD CAR TO HONOR LARRY YOUNG thanks .we would like to see as many cars out as we can .
    His sons also wanted to thank the HAMB and all who helped out larry ,thanks .

2. Such a drag to hear about lost friend. All my thoughts are with him and the fam. The tradition will continue. He knows it and he'll be living through us.

3. Larry was a good friend of mine for nearly 18 years now. He is the reason I was fired from The Rod Factory and gave me the swift kick in the ass to start my own buisness.

Larry's son Adam is the one responsible for the "NewDrop" axles we sell. He and his brother are going to carry on dad's tradion. We are here to help.

He had the same yellow '27 roadster all those years. Here it is at the 2003 CHRR

4. jerry

jerry

A friend of mine. A loss of a rodder and a dirt track racer, liked by everyone that knew him.

A thanks to all that contributed to the benefit put on last year.

A loss to all.

jerry

5. scooter

scooter
    from phx,az,USA

Just wanted to share a bit of who this guy was .He went to a pal of his home , looked at the guys garage and said when are going to get this hot rod on the road ?Larrys buddy says , you know how it is w/ work , home, and kids etc .Larry asked the guy to get him a beverage , and when he appears back into the garage , there's larry tools in hand helpin out buildin this guys car .
    He is what a true hot rodder / racer is and what others only hope to be , i miss him .I am also pissed that i did not take more time outta my life to learn from him .
    Another note ,Larry wanted people to do .Instead of bringing flowers , please make a donation to the MAKE A WISH FOUNDATION , in his name .He also told me if ever a kid shows intrest in your old car , let the kid have a seat behind the wheel or give a ride to inspire future hotrodders .
    RAISE YOUR GLASS where ever you are HERE TO YOU LARRY YOUNG !

6. What a bummer. Our thoughts are with you from down here in Tucson. Wish I could go to the service. Anything we can do to help just let us know. Maybe a car show like the one you did as a way of keeping his name around and letting people know who he was.

7. scooter

scooter
    from phx,az,USA

RON ,that may be an idea , all monies would go to make a wish cuz thats what larry woulda wanted .

8. Mike

Mike

What sad news.

Coming home on Monday from the Antique Nats, driving out on the stretch of I-10 between Indio and Phoenix, I kept thinking of how many times I had run into Larry in the passed 8 years or so, out there on that section of highway or at a gas stop. It seems like our paths were always crossing out there. Some times we'd be heading home from the same event, some times not. I remember thinking that I might not ever run into him out there like that again. When I got home there was a message on my machine from Larry's son telling me the bad news.

Larry was a great guy and a dedicated hotrodder who helped me and just about everyone I know at one time or another. I know I'll miss him.

Sad news indeed.

9. Glen

Glen

His yellow 27 posted above had over 100k on the odometer, it inspired me to build my first hot rod my primered black 27.

Later I purchased my 48 buick in rough form from Larry, this pic was taken the day he delivered it my house.

[​IMG]

10. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

This is sad news indeed.

You guys could rename that memorial day run that you did in honor of him- The Annual Larry Young Memorial Day Desert cruise. Just a thought.

11. scooter

scooter
    from phx,az,USA

DEYO i would pay 5$ a head just to go on that run if the money was to go to the make a wish foundation like larry wanted , the name change for the run would be a grand tribute !
    Or we may just make up a whole new run .

12. Hey scooter lets talk about this at LA Roadster show and see what we can come up with. I think we could make something out of this that would be really cool and, make a wish foundation is a really cool charity.

13. dang that sucks. fuck cancer

14. Greezy

Greezy

I remember the original post. Sorry to hear you guys lost such a good friend...he sounds like he was the real deal.

15. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Sounds like you guys lost a good friend. my thoughts and prayers go out to you and his family.
    Frank

16. jerry

jerry

Just got back from Larry's memorial service. Alot of good people and good stories. Seemed like not a dry eye in the house between the laughs. A very well liked man, he will be missed.

Had a mini car show at the mortuary parking lot. Had his yellow roaster parked right out in front. He is going to the LA Roadster show for the last time next week. Going in his roadster. Quite fitting.

jerry