Register now to get rid of these ads!

A reverse death wobble?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dchaz, May 11, 2012.

1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Life wobble. I have that.

2. did you "arc" the brake shoes ??? this proceedure is done on a machine designed to contour the entire face of each brake shoe to make it conform to the drum...after many thousands of miles and many brake adjustments later the shoes will eventually conform to the drums...but the process of "arcing" gets this done up front RIGHT NOW....the shoes may look to the naked eye like they are fitted to the drum, but really they are not....the shoes are only contacting the drums in a few places causing the pulsating and wobble...make sure the wheel bearings are tight...ditto the kingpins and tierod ends...tire pressures should be equal....this arcing proceedure was done in the old days by most professional brake shops...the machine was made by AAMCO....ask the real old timers about this and they will tell you about it and they might even know who still does this job...for the last 40 or so years with disc brakes becoming more mainstream than drum systems, this hasn't been done very much if at all....check out the old brake shops or even the older automotive machine shops in your area...somebody just might have one !!!...hope this helps.

3. jimvette59

jimvette59

Drums may have hot spots. Dump the drums and put new shoes on it also have the tires cut (shaved). JMHO.

4. That's changing the diagnosis.

5. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

im gonna agree with the advice on brakes. i caught hell with drums in an o/t truck and had a serious wobble under braking. re did EVERYTHING in the drums

6. Sumfuncomet

Sumfuncomet

Alo of good advice on your pulsating issue....be sure you post back and tell us all what it actually was....I'd lay odds on the shoe arc not matching the drum, you should be able to find someone with a shoe arcing machine.... Ask some old timers in your area

7. Dchaz

Dchaz

The brake pulse I can fix. The wobble is what concerns me the most. The wheels my buddy was bringing over today have dissapeared, so now I need to find someone around here that has some I can slap on there and see if it helps.

8. jimvette59

jimvette59

After you get the drums and shoes done get the tires shaved and the tires and wheels balanced on the car. Before doing all that make sure the ackerman is correct.