Register now to get rid of these ads!

"A" rear spring question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barn-core, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Barn-core

Barn-core

This is the spring I'm going to use on the rear of my Model A Coupe. It is out of a '29 pick-up, and has 11 leaves. My question is how many, and which leaves do I need. Thanks, Barn-core.

2. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

No picture..but anyways.
    my stock sedan Rear spring has 10 leafs.
    i would think the main (lowest) spring is of importance and possibly the one right after that. than from that point on you could pick out every other leaf until you obtain the ride height and spring rate you are looking for.

3. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Car was 9 leaves. Leave the main and next longest .Take out the 3rd 5th 7th 9th for starters. then try 4th and 8th if you want it softer. You may need to re-arch to get the correct shackle angle . Also reversed eye on main leaf will drop you 1 inch .

4. Barn-core

Barn-core

I just realised I forgot the pic. Oh well, you guys knew what was talking about.
    [​IMG]

5. youngster

youngster
    Member Emeritus
    from Minnesota

That spring has had the ends heated and bent. No a real good idea. The problem with is the second leaf can't slide on the first one. It will lower the car but ride will suffer. Look to see if the bent leaves have any cracks running across the leaf. If there are, don't use the spring. I would look for another spring in any case.

If you are using the stock crossmember, cut the leaves you don't use down to 9-1/2" and use them for spacers.

Ron

6. HHRdave

HHRdave
    BANNED
    from So Cal

I agree... most people run 8 or 9 leafs, there's not much weight in the rear unless you re-locate the fuel tank to the rear.