Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage A really stupid trip

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Being a straight axle car, with front end high, I imagine there's gotta be a way to access some items from underneath? Checking oil, for example... (in reference to the sealed hood)

2. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Just rewind the live feed, ( scroll back red line ) to -45:45 to see Jim's run! So fun to get to go along!

3. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

Also my vote for best thread on the HAMB
    Hats off to you and your son Jim
    I "Dig It" !

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

Found a gas cap and made that run. Thanks for the pictures from the webcast. Have a little leak in the radiator that I'm worried about. Can't see where it's coming from. Put some bars leak in it and it is doing OK still. Hope it doesn't get worse. We are in Rockford for lunch. Byron is on the route. 20150916_091252.jpg

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If the bars leak does not do the trick try some ground ginger.

6. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Jim, that Bar's leak is good shit, should hold the water OK. I've had good luck with it in the past.
    Back in my dirt oval racing days I blew a hose on the tow truck and cracked the heads on the 283 sbc.
    As keeping a dirt racer running can be all you've got time for, I put Bar's Leak in it and it held till I pulled it down after end of season, and found cracks in combustion chamber in SEVEN cylinders, and the Bars Leak was still holding.
    Enjoying the hell outta this thread. Hang in there!!!!

fast30coupe, loudbang and volvobrynk like this.
  7. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Yes or an un boiled egg. No joke I've seen I done, can't say for how long.
    Or coffee grounds, the stuff that left in the filter, when you make coffee.

That I know works for at least two weeks of hard driving. So that would be two passes and the trip home :wink:

Keep at it, squirrel! You are one of my newfound hero's! Wish I was more like you.

loudbang likes this.
  8. stimpy

stimpy

sodium silicate ( waterglass ) will seal it up quick as long as it doesn't rain ( and we might get showers thurs and fri ) if you pass a ace hardware they have it in stock . in the paint section .

gas & guns likes this.
  9. Jim , I got there today at 7:30 a.m. and you and your son were changing out tires. Figured I'd leave you alone and come back later. I should have known it was one and done for you today , because by the time I got back to where you were you were long gone. At least maybe today you can get some much needed down time. Maybe next time !

10. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

I saw you on the return road, went to look for you and you were gone! Caught up with the pass on the rewind of the live feed. How you replaced that blower without opening the hood is just short of a miracle! Good luck on the remainder of the journey/week!

11. squirrel

squirrel

thanks! Mike wanted to get on the road early today, it was pretty warm out and we didn't know what we'd have to be fixing. Turns out the radiator leak on mine did not get an worse, my son found the leak, its' a hole in a tube on the front, near the top near one end. no evidence of why it's leaking. The bars leak didn't seal it up all the way yet, I may add another bottle, we'll see. I might even try to get some jb weld on it or something. hard to work on it with the grille in the way, but we'll do something. The car ran fine on the drive to Cordova. 200-220 degrees most of the way. I only worry about it when it tops 230, and stop driving when it gets over 240, because it will boil.

two more runs, and one more dive. Then we get to worry about getting it home to Arizona.

btw adding stop leak with the hood sealed shut was fun.

bars.jpg

12. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Yeah I wondered about that ^^. Which brings up another point; having access, though limited, through the hole in the hood is a bit of an advantage, no? The '56 on the previous page has something of a hood with a huge hole, you could change plugs through it. Don't see that it's a sealed hood, but what if it was?

13. squirrel

squirrel

I heard a rumor that the guys announcing/comenting on the webcast (Freiburger and Lohnes) were discussing it. they wrote the rule after they saw my car, so they should have seen this coming :)

14. This is so cool....and really stupid. Love it.

15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

They never said anything about not removing the grille did they ?..........Just say'n.

16. 24 Dodge

24 Dodge
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome trip keep it going. you are " THE MAN "

17. I agree with the above re: sodium silicate or "egg preserver". And its old school too!

18. boutlaw

boutlaw

Damn Squirrel, you are DE MAN, no doubt. Definitely NOT stupid, what an adventure in an awesome car. Salute to you and the son, best damn thread ever.....

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Following along, although I have yet to be able to see anything on the live feed thing. don't know why I cant get that to work...

BrandonB likes this.
  20. squirrel

squirrel

Thanks!

I added a quart of water to the radiator tonight, and ran the engine, and it seems to have stopped leaking. The system is holding pressure again. yay! I guess the leak was above the water level, so the sealer could not do it's job.

volvobrynk, brandon and saltflats like this.
  21. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Bummer..couldn't get the live feed to show at 45:45 but again did catch the naration [don't understand why scrolling back doesn't work for me]. Jim is in 1st place for A gas..

22. belair

belair

Sic em.

charleyw likes this.
  23. Budget36

Budget36

If you have to, pinch and curl (top and bottom) of the tube, once curled, pinch again.

Made it from Blythe to Phoenix and about a year, and back into Ca like that.Cheap assed College kid I was!

24. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

On the link its a replay now, for some reason it starts earlier at 38:20.

25. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Hot Rod is using a pic of your car on their FB cover now.

26. squirrel

squirrel

yeah we saw the fb cover picture at lunch today. neat!

hrmfb.jpg

27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I cant get it to work either, tried last night as well.

28. Jim. How close are the run numbers in your class? Are all the A gassers running tight numgers or is it spread out some.

29. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
    ratrodrodder and volvobrynk like this.