Register now to get rid of these ads!

A question for the Auto Glaziers amongst us

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fleet-master, Jun 2, 2013.

1. fleet-master

fleet-master

I'd like to know when tinted glass first came into use on cars. Can anybody please help?

2. Revan

Revan
    from Australia

to the best of my knowledge the earliest would be late 50's buicks a mate's has blue glass cheer n beers.

3. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

i have a 53 chevy windshield that is factory tinted blue

4. legitimate question I'll do some research but I know for a fact that it was around the late forties

5. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

I do remember that the 53 Pontiac my dad bought new had a tinted windshield. Not sure about the side glass but the dark stripe across the top of the windshield was a factory option.

6. I have a '53 Ford sedan that has the green tinted glass. Front, sides and back...
    However, all of the trucks I've had from the same era had clear glass.

7. oneowner

oneowner

My dad was a glass man his whole life. He had a '40 chev coupe with factory tinted backglass and side glass

8. I worked on a original '38 Nash with only 3,000 miles on it, like a time capsule unearthed...it was that clean. What surprised me is that it had tinted glass for the windshields and front door glass! I questioned it, but this car was all original, never been touched for replacement - panels, screws, the whole 9 yards was perfect from the factory.
    I had to replace the tinted glass as it had problems with it de-laminating...wonder if this was an experiment or first try?

9. A tidbit, some truth to this story as in 1938 it was Nash-Kelvinator and they developed the "conditioned air" heating and ventilation systems. Might be that, as any Auto glass installer knows, air conditioned cars have tinted glass. Nash might have been pressing added comfort of using tinted glass with their new system. Just thinkin', but I'm investigating and find this fascinating.

10. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Tinted glass is often called comfort-tinted glass. My son's 57 Chevy had it all around but not air-conditioned.

11. fleet-master

fleet-master

Hey thanks for all the replies! Much appreciated. ..I been offered some tinted glass for my project but wasn't sure if it would fit the era or not.Aiming at late 50s /early 60s.