Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical A Question for the 61-64 Galaxie guys...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazy Steve, Jul 20, 2021.

1. So I bought this '60 Ford Sunliner and discovered that the fuel tank is leaking at the sending unit. No biggy, buy a new lock ring/gasket and I'm good to go, right? WRONG!!!

So I order the lockring/gasket, Dorman part # 579-042. I pull the sending unit (which was hard to get out by the way) and find my lockring is bigger, about 3/16" inside diameter. The gasket is correspondingly larger too. So I'm assuming that somebody substituted a newer '61-64 tank as '60 is the cut-off for mine. Now try as I might, I can't find a listing online for the gasket/lockring for those years to even verify if that's what it is. The ID on the lockring is about 2 1/8", and the sealing flange on the sending unit is 2 3/4" OD. Can anybody help me with identifying this, and do you know a source for the gasket?

Thanks!

bchctybob likes this.
  2. Bump up for Stevie !

3. Let's bump this for the overnight crowd...

4. evintho

evintho

5. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

I happen to have a couple on the shelf so I measured them up, one from my 62 Galaxie and the other from my 60 Country Sedan. Both are 2 3/4” at the flange so it appears 60-64 should be the same. 8699F9D7-0636-47F4-9730-DF5E5DC9DF5A.jpeg

6. THANK YOU! And I think I solved the mystery. That sending unit matches mine. But when I went to order one, I checked on a '60 Ford Sunliner (which is what it is) and got the part number that didn't fit. But when I checked further after seeing your pic, only the '60 Sunliner used that part so it had a unique, one-year-only fuel tank/sending unit with a smaller diameter mounting flange. Which makes sense, as it was a PITA to get the sending unit out because of it's diameter; there's a structural reinforcement partially blocking access to it. For a minute I thought I would have to drop the tank to get it out. So I have a '60-64 Ford fuel tank/sending unit, it's just not a '60 Sunliner tank...

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    bchctybob and loudbang like this.
  7. The curse of the '60 Ford parts strikes again. The '59 has a lot of oddball parts, but the '60 takes the cake.

loudbang likes this.
  8. If your tank is a 61 - 64 as you suspect the locking ring and seal would be part # LO-03 from Spectra Premium. I was unable to find an actual parts listing for this but I searched the part number (I had a package on the shelf) and it shows fitting Ford from 1960 up to somewhere in the 90's, among other brands.

The ID on the locking ring is 2 1/8 inch and the seal is a square cut o-ring approx 2 1/2 inches accross.

loudbang likes this.
  9. Well, my travails with the tank weren't over... I got the sending unit sealed, I'm good to go or so I thought. My project for today was to flip the shackles back to stock and put on the Cragar SS wheels I got. So I'm under there and I notice that the tank drain is seeping slightly, so I get a wrench and figure I'll snug it up.... Well crap.... As soon as the wrench touches it, it starts leaking more. No matter which way I turn it, it gets worse. I think that if I remove it, maybe I can do something. Won't come out, just turns. Take a real close look, the damn thing is soldered in?! I broke the (faulty) solder joint and that was that. New tank is now on the way...

I did manage to save about 15 gallons of the 19 gallons I'd just put in the tank (at $4 per) at least. And a shout-out to @40FORDPU who came over and helped me flip the shackles. I don't remember it being that hard 50 years ago.... LOL

10. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

Yeah, touching a Galaxie tank drain has never ended well for me. If you even look at them wrong they’ll start leaking.

bobss396, Elcohaulic and loudbang like this.
  11. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

New tank , has you fixed up . All is well I suppose . I think if that is or was the only leak , I would have drained , removed it , cleaned resoldered the joint , or cleaned the threads and Teflon taped ( or other sealer ) on a new plug . Last but not lease sealed the complete tank and been good to go .

You went the route that worked best for you , and all ends well . Don’t toss the tank if it’s not a leaker , you may need one later on, if your like me .

12. I took the tank out of my '59 soon after I got it. I removed the sender and the brass float crumbled to dust. I drop kicked the whole thing to the curb and bought a new tank and sender from Rock Auto.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  13. My tank is a Spectra, I did a search under the Ford part number and came up with Rock Auto as the best price. Second best was Amazon. I believe it was US made, the workmanship was great, no leaks in 5 years.

Elcohaulic likes this.