Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration A proud moment...inspiring I guess. Lets see yours.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustomfordman, May 28, 2009.

1. kustomfordman

kustomfordman

O.k., I left the shop for a few moments and told my son to go ahead and tighten up some header bolts while I was gone. Something to keep him busy and out of trouble. He's 5, so I didn't expect that he would actually get to the task. When I walked back into the shop, here is what I found...he actually found the right size allen wrench and was going at it. I had to run back to the house to grab the camera and hope he was still working when I got back. Here is a moment when being a father is unmatched by anything in the world.

I thought I would share. Anybody else have similiar stories?

Attached Files:

2. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

HEH HE HE ....awesome....I likes that feeling....mines only 3.5 but I hadda grin from ear to ear when I was under the truck and asked for a flathead screwdriver and my 3year old actually handed me the right one.....I thought it was a fluke....I handed it back and a few minutes later asked him for a phillips.....and got the right one (all my drivers are the same color...)

Yup....simple things, but they make ya proud...

3. SniffnPaint

SniffnPaint

Now you got to teach him the OG pose. lol.
    No, i dont have kids but i would be proud.

4. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

Have MANY pics of my kids growing up like that. Youngest girl just got "dad" tattooed on her arm with a picking hammer and a torch.

5. You sure he's not just tryin to get a free hemi for his soapbox racer? :p

6. my grandson is like that at almost three. he has his own tools and actually get one when told. maybe there is hope.

7. turdchazer

turdchazer
    Member Emeritus
    from Spokane

When my daughter was younger we went to a toy show (Hard for a 4 yr old) I told her if she was good at the show we would go get her a toy she could play with.
    She was great , so we went to target and started going through the toys, She picked a couple of hot wheels, then when we went into the next Isle she traded them for a doll, as we were leaving the toy department she threw the doll outta the cart and said " Dad I want that!!!" she was pointing to a little plastic tool set.
    I handed it to her and she said " now I can help you on the bolkswagen" ( The 63 bug I was working on).
    I was so proud and happy they had to see me glowing from the back of the store:)

8. A proud moment for sure!! That's simply awesome. I don't have any stories yet, but I can't wait for my boy (almost 3) to start helping me out on my '57 3100. He already talks about building hot rods and 4x4's with me. I have a feeling my daughter (just over 1), is going to be caught up in it as well. I wish the shop was closer to home, they'd probably already be helping out!

9. striper

striper

His hands are a good size to get in there too.

I posted last week about my 9 yo learning to weld...that was fun. He also helped me bleed my brakes a couple of weeks ago. My 5 yo has a corner in the lounge room he calls his shed, where he keeps a lot of his toys.

They'll remember stuff like that forever.

Pete

10. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

That rules.......

11. When my my oldest, Molly 13, was about 4 or 5 she saw an old VW and said "there's an old car like dad likes." Round, fat fenders, pretty close.

12. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Believe me when I tell you, those are the moments that you will think about in twenty five or thirty years and it's why NOTHING beats being a parent..........

13. Imwalkin

Imwalkin
    from Tucson, Az

kids watch and you do not think they are paying attention. My boy has always known which way to turn to tighten or loosen a nut or screw. I have no idea who he watches I get it wrong sometimes.

14. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

That's funny my nephew calls Vdubs something of similar nature that comes out 'bolts wagon'.

He loves helping out in the garage so much that for his last birthday, his 4th, we put together a little toolbox of tools to be his own. I picked up 'ladies' tools because they are smaller and fit his little hands. He's pretty into jacking up his pedal cars and 4 wheelers to work on with the floor jack or the chain hoist.

Last week while I was changing the fuel filter and points in the A roadster I reached down on the fender for a nut driver and they all were gone. I glanced across the way to find my nephew putting them back into the case and then into his toolbox. I asked him what he was doing and he said putting his tools away. I said but those are mine and then he preceded to tell me that I had given them to him! I told him I'd get him his own but the Model A would need that set for the time being. He must have been attracted to the multi colored handles I guess!

15. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Can't wait to have kids! I know it going to be a tremendous amount of work and that things around here will change but still I am pretty stoked about having a family.

16. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

When my son was about 3 or 4, I was working on our '35 Dodge coupe, doing some body work. I had 36 gr. paper on a long board, and he wanted to help. I gave him a used up piece on a short block, what could possibly go wrong here? He happily sanded away on a fender on the opposite side of the car untill he lost interest and headed outside.

In the driveway was our freshly painted '48 Pontiac convert. It was awfully quiet out there, and I went out to see what he was up to. What he was up to was sanding the freshly color sanded and polished maroon paint on the '48:eek:. He'd been all the way around the car, every panel, with that 36gr. paper on a block, at 3 year old eye level, two or three long strokes, just like he saw his ol' Da doing on the '35.

Since I'd set myself up for this, there was nothing to do but color sand the car again and polish. Happily, it was catalyzed acrylic enamel (I used to shoot Centari) and there was enough to (almost) get all the scratches out.

He swears he doesn't remember this...

17. Gigantor

Gigantor

That second photo has got to be one of the best "essence of hotrodding" pictures I've seen in a LONG time. Wow.
    You're a good dad and a lucky man.

18. RAY With

RAY With

Great moments captured will last a life time. I was always at the shop and no camera to get my kids famous moments and seeing this I wished I would of had one so many times. Thanks for sharing.

19. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

That rules. My daughter had never really paid attention to the "stinky garage". But one day she realized it was unexplored space. She has started coming out now and then just to see what's up. Pretty sure she is paying closer attention than most people would realize.

20. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

Cool pics..

Reminds me of my 2 little cousins, at the time they were 4 & 6, They were really into my old John Deere 'L' in the shed, so when they were over I'd start the old gal up for 'em, and drive them around...Well one day the little buggers were outside "playing" I was in the garage doing my thing...and I hear the strangest thing...Sure as hell sounded like somebody got the ol' Deere 2 cylinder cranked over...and moving. I ran up the stairs and there my baby was chuggin' up the hill, with 2 lil' pilots.

I still can't figure out how they managed to get it cranked over (hand crank) and work the clutch and all that..

21. JeffroTech

JeffroTech

Perfect. Glad you captured it!

Wife's got a bun-in-the-oven... so I CAN"T WAIT! Boy or girl, he/she will be out there in the garage with me.

22. BobK49

BobK49

I'm older than dirt and still haven't worked on a hemi! Waaaaaaaaa!

23. I wish I did have a picture like that. You have done well, grasshopper.

24. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

thats great!

my girls will do the occasional wrench or fab.
    Mostly they use the creeper for a surf board, and the wheeled stool for a car :)

25. I've posted these before, pics of our son makin sparks in the shop. Now that he is 11, he'd rather hang out with his friends and play computer games..... what a shame

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If I could keep him at it he would be a hell of a welder

Still proud of him

26. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

Mine got started early.

West (almost 2yo), he's more of a driver though!

When he was around 1, playing with my racecar (not HAMB friendly).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Helping with wrenches
    [​IMG]

Running the mini-lathe
    [​IMG]

Told ya, more of a driver, anyone that saw us come and go from this years Roundup saw West driving my '58.
    [​IMG]

This past weekend
    [​IMG]

If he hears anything in the garage fire-up hes at the back door banging on it!!! Awesome!

27. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Not in the garage, But still he makes me PROUD. teach em young, you wont regret it one bit. Slim

Attached Files:

28. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

I had my 13 yr old boy helping me turn the bead roller and pull on the shrenker the other day. He saw the finished product and I think I noticed that he was proud to know what part he had in it... He too is more into the X-Box than the tool box, but I'm working on it...

29. my son Luke a few weeks ago in my Corvair he will be 8 months on the 30th.

every time me or my wife tried to get him off the seat he yelled at us all he wanted to do is drive

Attached Files:

30. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Much better than when my friend walked back into his shop to see his 5 year old trying out the angle grinder on their brand new daily driver - all the way down the side.