Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A PONTIAC-POWERED DRAGSTER?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by impontiac, Jul 1, 2015.

1. impontiac

impontiac

.....hey there, y'all!.....my name is Pontiac, and besides enjoying real-life Pontiac cars (and a Pontiac motorcycle-- more on that later), I have re-embraced my model-building youth and currently enjoy the fun and relative economy of building the 1/25-scale versions of what I might love to have in my driveway!.....at the moment, I am knee-deep in a project that will replicate the dragster that Jack Chrisman drove to the Top Fuel championship in 1962-- a rail powered by a Pontiac-blocked, M/T hemi-headed, supercharged, one-of-a-kind engine!......I plan to build a 1/25 scale model that faithfully re-creates and replicates every detail of this unique car, and for my resources I have a few meager photos, one magazine article, and lotsa more questions than answers.....it will be detailed down to fuel and brake lines, and I want to celebrate this car by finding out what and why things were done back in those daze, that few folks remember anymore-- which is why I have hopped aboard this here H.A.M.B.!.....I suspect that there is a vast resource of minds and memories here, that can illuminate my puzzlements, and help me to make this dragster model to be a snapshot of a moment in time, that will look like a 3D photo of the beast itself!......

2. impontiac

impontiac

3. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Really good M/T Pontiac engine thread with photos on the HAMB, have you seen that already?

4. pontman

pontman

Heres are a few more I have saved. Keep us post on you build!
    1962-nme.jpg jackchrisman.jpg 25479_380705305274_5146343_n.jpg

mad mikey, Deuces and hendelec like this.

5. impontiac

impontiac

.....sweeeeeet, pontman, you have already provided me with two pix that I haven't seen before!.....and what's the red car?.....it's nice, but not the same beast, I think......

6. impontiac

impontiac

....and blowby-- no I haven't seen it yet, but plan to wander around and see what-all is on here....thanks for the heads-up!

7. pontman

pontman

Look in the background of the colored pic.

8. pontman

pontman

So I was at work when posting my first replies. Did not realize you were building a model? Here are a few more and I'm out. HEMIPontiac-1.jpg HEMIPontiac-3.jpg

mad mikey and Deuces like this.
  9. Chili Phil likes this.
  10. See Pontiac HEMI thread Mickey Thompson, Jack Gifford, Steve Barcak

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
    applekrate likes this.
  11. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Good read at Pontiac Heaven. I'd heard of the experimental 427 Pontiac Hemi that was done in conjunction with MOPAR engineers :eek:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    applekrate likes this.
  12. look in the background and the hemi/pontiac is hiding there in plain sight :)

13. impontiac

impontiac

.....gee, that's kinda embarrassing, letting that PMD Hemi sit there hiding like that!....can't believe that I missed it!.....so now I have several more, and very clear, shots to use as reference!......thanks so very much!!......btw, one of my unanswered questions was, where does the hose which seems to be carrying oil residue from the bottom of the valve covers, connect to?....in the bleachers shot, it appears to just dump in front of the tires!....can this be?......when the black "PONTIAC" homemade covers are used, there are several 90degree fittings with hoses, which lead to someplace at the rear of the motor.....anyone got recall, or understanding, of this sort of thing?.....the V/C already has the large vents, so what's with the hose thingie?......just kinda curious, 'cause my motor will have every little detail that I can sort out, in place on it......thanks again, you guys!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  14. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

15. toxic waste

toxic waste
    from Iowa

Post 2015

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  16. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Old post or not, thats some cool shit right there....

mgtstumpy and Dick Stevens like this.
  17. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

In '62, here in the Northwest, we had a good running Pontiac AA/D, Tip Angel and Mike Grimm of the Slo-Poks. Kent Fuller Chassis, Wayne Ewing body, ran 8.70 @ 180. 124.JPG

18. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Slocum's Speed Shop showed up one night at Fontana with a two-in-a-row Pontiac dragster. It had see-thru valve covers, see-thru distributors and you could see thru the night they couldn't get it to run on 16 cylinders. Don't know where the shop was, but their display was not a great advertisement.

mad mikey likes this.
  19. bchctybob

bchctybob

Around the same time as Angel and Grimm down here in SoCal we had the Adams and McEwen Shark car powered alternately by a Blown Pontiac and a blown Olds. Also a Fuller car with Ewing body if I remember correctly.
    Sorry I don't have pictures of it, maybe someone out there does.

mad mikey likes this.
  20. Eddie Hill from Texas ran both a single engine and twin engine dragsters that were Pontiac powered back in the 1960's. I don't have any pics offhand but I'm sure there are some on the net.

mad mikey likes this.
  21. rooman

rooman

Gateway 8.jpg
    Glen Lever runs this Pontiac digger out of the Rochester, NY area

Roo

22. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-4-5_17-25-44.png Eddie Hill at Bakersfield 1960

Hello,

My brother and I were traveling, teenage, drag racing fans that went to the 2nd Bakersfield Smokers March Meet. We missed the first one in 1959, so we told our selves that we would not miss the next one, in 1960, despite what we were doing. (we were in the throes of running our 1940 Willys coupe in B/Gas with and without success.)

With the recent successful East vs. West drag race meet at Riverside Racceway in December 1959, everyone was excited about the upcoming March Meet in 1960. Would more race cars from all over come out to race in the biggest drag race meet in the West Coast? Who on the West Coast would step up and win this 2nd Smokers meet?

two brothers in the early am Bakersfield pits.

Jnaki

There were so many top names, that it was hard to decide which race cars to film. But, late in one of the elimination races, while battling for a front row fence position, I managed to take a short race between the twin in line SBC race car of Bayer and Frietas against Eddie Hill from Texas.

Eddie Hill Vs Bayer Frietas Twin SBC

upload_2019-4-5_17-31-36.png Twin SBC vs single Pontiac

Last edited: Dec 10, 2022
    lumpy 63 and mad mikey like this.