Register now to get rid of these ads!

a new look with old style? or just cheesy.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65fordguy, Feb 25, 2010.

1. No Clue...

No Clue...
    from Lusk, WY

...any truck my wife can take shop-ping...

:D

2. punkroder

punkroder
    from socal

Its a paint treatment , a technique. Saying its fake is like saying that painting flames on your car , is faking that its on fire.

3. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Not the same thing,game or even ballpark.50+years ago guys were putting flames on their cars.50+ years ago I don't think guys were trying to make the paint on their rides look 50+ years old.:confused:
    Paul

4. 65fordguy

65fordguy

Great debating here

5. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

This is really funny considering it's coming from a guy that lives in Kansas and owns two El Camino's, but no hot rods. Are you the guy that shows up to the hot rod shows in your '81 El Camino and starts pointing fingers at other people's hot rods like you're doing now? This is hilarious....

By your logic, most hot rodders are posers. They make their cars look like something that races at Bonneville, yet they've never raced it at Bonneville, or they make it look like the cars in California, when they've never been to Cali. Come on, there's no rules.

6. amphicar

amphicar
    BANNED

Fake anything is crap, IMNSHO. Fake smiles, fake boobs, fake patina, fake food, fake friends, fake orgasims... it's all just disappointing. Nothing says cool like 60+ year old graphics from a long ago defunct shop or a rebel yell from the girlfriend with wobbly legs!

7. 117harv

117harv

I like it, i think it looks sharp!

FAUX patina is fine, especially for open wheeled cars and trucks, road debris flying up will destroy shiny paint on a driver. Full fendered cars trucks,i think are better candidates for shiny nice paint.

Real or faux patina is better for daily drivers, it is for lack of a better words, wash and wear, your not afraid of a nick or chip as it is not as noticeable.

Alot of hambers try to copy old build styles, as a tribute or because they just like it and that's cool, are they fake? Is an aftermarket dropped axle fake?

Doing faux patina is a real ( ART) form, be it suspention components, body, engine etc.
    it takes skill just like pinstriping, lace or panel work, how good you are determines the final product, afterall it's just a look finish your ride how you want and take pride in it, then drive the wheels off it! Just my opinion.

Man that guy who builds those period hot rods is a real ARTIST, hot rods aren't rolling art?

Come on guys it is just paint, is satin black just fake primer? If you copy another car owners paint or build style does that make yours fake? No it is a tribute to him, fake patina is a tribute to real patina LOL...seriously though.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010

8. i agree too

9. firemunkey

firemunkey
    from temecula

I don't know, but I like the posted pic. When I started work on my 38 pickup it had several peeling paint levels and years of patina. It was like an old billboard after a storm. I don't know that that's a real patina, but it had a great feeling of history. As I started metal repair to replace cancer and such, I took several areas down to bare metal, then it didn't look right. Now it's in the process of shiney paint. I like both styles, but I don't think I could rough up my new paint. The metal still has history...

10. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

"Doing faux patina is a real art form"

Over here in England the most prestigious art award is "The Turner Prize". Couple of years ago it was won by a guy called Damien Hurst with his display of a cow cut in half. Little while after that some chick called Tracy Emin got short listed by displaying an un-made bed, then it was won by a guy, Martin Creed, flicking 2 lights on and off at regular intervals in an empty room. Apparently they were real art forms too. Just calling it Art don't make it a good idea.
    :confused:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  11. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

lol... Aint that the truth.

12. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

I'd primer or paint it.... that's just me!

13. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

I see you're stirring up hate and discontent again, Josh.... that's my job,lol. Have Kevin's kids put a nice shiny paint job without the fake patina on it, it'll look killer. I wish I had the funds to get the minor bodywork left to do on the '46 done and have a pretty candy blue paint job put on it... No money means it'll get the next best thing- driven nonstop with the black primer and red wheels it's run for the last year or so. Can't wait to see your truck painted- and with a bed on it, last time I saw it it was somewhat bare!

14. MEMPHIS RAT

MEMPHIS RAT
    BANNED

although fake breast's are a plus....sometime's:D

15. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Dont know if its already been said but... If your going to take the time and effort to make fake patina that actually looks good why not just paint the truck. Eventually with weather and regular driving you will develop a patina. The real kind too!!

16. jokerjason

jokerjason

Right on!!! JOKER JASON

17. Well fordguy, if you have learned anything here it should be this...we all have our own tastes and opinions, and that's a good thing because thats what creates some of the best cars and trucks we've ever seen. Just remember this we all can give you our ideas but when night falls you will be the only one worried about it. So build it the way you think is cool, so it reflects your personal tastes. As far as your dads logo goes, if you would like a tribute to your dads old shop then go for it. All the nay sayers will quickly fade when you see the smile it brings to your dad every time he sees it. We don't get to keep our dads around near long enough so if you and him get some good times in that truck,great. Just again my opinion.

18. When I was a kid, we called a car with "patina" a pile o` shit....

19. Daddyfink

Daddyfink

Yes, we are quite good at it, thus we are "MasterDebating" all the time!

20. mac762

mac762

21. Hey 65fordguy,
    I like that truck - would look good no matter what! Some of these debates generate heat but little light. So I'll weigh in with my opinion. Personally, I like "hand crafted" patina - if its done well. If anything, it's a poke against the over built, over priced rolling sculptures (seldom, if ever, driven on the street?) seen at Barrett-Jackson and etc. Cars so ridiculously out of range for most people...
    It's in the attitude man!

22. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Actually, my comment wasn't a jab at your El Camino as much as a jab at your comment about mullets. You're in Kansas, you drive an '81 El Camino, I just KNOW you have a mullet.... :D

And please, for the love of all that's good and holy, don't paint your El Camino flat black with red wheels and white walls. :eek:

23. 6berry

6berry

paint it with a rattle can and when it looks like shit then respray those areas

24. slammed

slammed

Frank rule's. Point blank. Take this advise. Even fake boob's become redundent.

25. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

damn I missed a chance to razz hot cakes....
    but he is right on the paint, that thing is one step away from badassery.

not a damn thing...

kind of why I haven't refinished my '61 SG JR/TV, I think real vintage guitars that are untouched can be pretty bad ass...

yep

26. mac762

mac762

27. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

trust me the dudes bald as a bowlin ball

28. mac762

mac762

I am tall enough to ride all the rides at the fair though. :) Puddy tat.

Aren't you supposed to be painting a car?......I'm feeling much better this evening btw. Cheers.

29. billy zz

billy zz

i agree.
    that is a neat truck though.

30. billy zz

billy zz

i'd paint that beauty in a heartbeat!