Register now to get rid of these ads!

a new look with old style? or just cheesy.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65fordguy, Feb 25, 2010.

1. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I like it. Low maintenance.

2. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Lacquer clear over old paint. Wanted to keep the 72 yr old paint, but not watch it rust, so wetsand rusted spots and cleared. I live in a humid state and rust will start in a couple of days. Okay let me have it...

Started on door frame.
    [​IMG]

Back half to go...
    [​IMG]

3. Labold

Labold

Hell I'm with you fellas.

4. 65fordguy

65fordguy

as far as the do what I want stuff... If that were the case I would of had 20s... 15"subs... and curb finders... im exaggerating a bit!? us youngins have to be slapped around a bit to get us going in the right direction!

for me its discussions like this that teach me what is what... I can honestly say that 3 years ago I could have not told you what the difference was between a hot rod.. street rod.. and a rat rod were. what 50s style was, what 60s was... I just didnt know...

I really enjoy learning the old ways of doing things, and hearing stories of days gone by... and I've heard my share of opinions here.. and like any good debate, when its over you have a good idea of where your going... and next time it comes up I can contribute... I can only hope that when Im 50 and driving around in my hot rod I can help some young buck out and give my opinion.

5. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Hey Saxon, it looks great. I changed my mind, I like it. :D

6. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Thanks Lippy, someday I might paint it shiny. But I won't ever put a fake patina on it.

Cheesy but, to each their own.

7. 65fordguy

65fordguy

sweet truck saxon.

8. Special Ed

Special Ed

You have a wonderful attitude. Keeping an open mind, and paying attention to those who were there before you is 90% of the battle. :)

9. max2919

max2919
    from Sweden

:rolleyes:

10. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

X2 on the above,especially if you can count 45 as a 'youngin':D
    There is no better place to find 'focus'
    Paul

If I'd seen Special Ed's post before I put this up I woulda multi-quoted

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  11. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Thanks 65fordguy!

12. 65fordguy

65fordguy

just learned that todays TRUCKS episode is about faux tina. lol. sounds like a blow up doll. . . no comment. But, I will be watching never the less. Kevin seems to be a creative and talented painter.

13. autobilly

autobilly

You could do your truck how your dad would have liked his to be.:cool:
    As for fake patina, only if you're runnin' an SBC equipped with faux Olds rocker covers and air cleaner.:D

14. sugarlou

sugarlou

Funny this is the same EXACT argument I encounter over at my other board but it's about GUITARS..Fender and Gibson have been making factory "aged" guitars...called "relics" and people argue over those as well. Makes some people mad as hell. I'll leave my 2 cents in my pocket thanks.

15. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

Fake patina = wack.

Fake shop trucks = wack.

IMHO.

16. bibb86

bibb86

ditto the do what you want.

17. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I saw an "aged" brand new Gibson F-5 mandolin at their factory in Nashville. It was "only" $25,000! A lot of money for fake patina!

18. gump

gump

so what exactly is the definition of a shop truck, can't wait to hear this

19. Kinghat

Kinghat

I remember that truck from the 2006 Power Tour

20. Kinghat

Kinghat

This truck, that is.

21. Just a different way to make it look like you want it to look.
    No different than cobbwebs or crackle.

I personally like the look of older well preserved pait or even older paint that may have a thin spot or two. But I'm a beater guy.

Would I take the steel wool to a new paint job well probably not at least not today. Maybe tomorrow if the mod strikes me.

22. 2-TONED

2-TONED

WHATS THE VERDICT? LOOK AT IT!! COOOOOL AS HELLLL!!!
    is there a legit one somewher that looks 1/2 as good as this one?!!

23. mac762

mac762

A shop truck is a truck that is used to deliver goods, or do errands on company time. Period point blank. Not just a truck with some cute loco draw and painted on the side and rubbed over with steel wool to make it look old. Someone already said, Faux patina in the acid washed jeans of 2010. Or some shit like that.
    You might think it's cool now but 20 years from now you are gonna hide pictures of it, and deny your mullet. Are parachute pants coming back into style?
    Don't worry, I guess it's even alright to be gay in this newer kinder world.

24. gump

gump

so if i do all of the above and don't have ashop but a garage of my own, and put gump garage this is gay or looked at as im a pooser.?
    gggg wow i wtf i never new hot rodding had rules. god forbid you do what you want to your own car

25. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

My 37 was originally a shop truck but there is no way I am going to paint the original company name on it so if I do letter it I am going to make up something more appropriate to my liking so I guess that does not make it a shop truck and who made up the rules.

26. Just Jones

Just Jones

Real patina isn't a fad, it's about keeping something that is original, original. And no, I'm not arguing against hot rodding an original car, but instead arguing against covering up a worn but still in-tact and solid body with new, shiny paint when the old oringinal stuff tells such a story.

My truck still has what's left of its orginial paint from 1940. It also has a few bullet holes, rust spots, and dents. But the old guy I bought it from, the original owner who rodded the truck to be his race car puller back in the early 50s, had a story for each dent, ding and hole. The truck towed his model A to Pikes Peak, Daytona, Bonneville, etc. etc.

With the exception of having Gene Winfield louver the hood, I left the body alone and did everything else the truck needed to get back on the road.

There are lots and lots of super nice, super clean '40 pickup hot rods out there. What mine lacks in physical beauty it makes up for in history.

Old paint isnt a fad. Patina tells a story. Nuff said.

Attached Files:

27. mac762

mac762

Painting a shop logo on your truck when you don't have a garage is like dressing up like a fireman, when you aren't. Or sagging your pants down your ass and wearing your hat sideways, when you aren't a gangstar. Poser might be the right word. Or like strapping a surfboard on your woodie wagon when you live in the middle of Iowa. Shit like that is lame. Do you need more examples?

28. mac762

mac762

Kick ass truck Speedyjones. You got it right.

29. 65fordguy

65fordguy

So, a girl with fake boobs is a poser...may not feel real... Look exactly right. But good to look at! IMO same rule applies...a good job will yield happy ending...

30. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

Now that's funny :D