Register now to get rid of these ads!

a new dragster is born

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by voxnut, Oct 29, 2009.

1. voxnut

voxnut
    from sacramento

Hi All-

I don't know if anyone is interested, but I've started a blog to chronicle building a "new" 1963 dragster. I have two enteries so far, basically explaining the deal and how it came to be.

http://rocinanteridesagain.wordpress.com/2009/10/28/realizing-the-dream/

and part 2:

http://rocinanteridesagain.wordpress.com/2009/10/29/realizing-the-dream-part-ii/

Further updates will just focus on our progress.

Hopefully it will be an enjoyable read, even though I know I can be long-winded and go off on philosophical tangents about drag racing.

Dean

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  2. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

I am QUITE certain MANY will be interested!!! I know I am!!

3. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Very cool. Look forward to updates. Good luck!

4. LZ

LZ

yessiree

Thanks for the links Dean. We will be following your every entry...
    thank you and Good Luck

Hey JACIN....:D

5. stan292

stan292

Dean -

Good reading so far.

I was around during "the day", and was just as enamored with front-engined diggers as a kid as you were. In '66 (just after a stint in the Army), I moved myself from Nebraska to Los Angeles for the sole reason of getting "up close and personal" with the SoCal dragster scene. My experiences there are another story, but I was fortunate enough to get a strong dose of "the real thing". The right place at the right time, as they say.

Since then, many years - and many dreams - have passed. I've had lots of fun, but never that digger of my own. Now, I find myself at age 65 (on Social Security and Medicare, no less), and am facing the fact that the time for "my dragster" has passed (due as much to limited finances as age), and have "settled" for putting together a roadster pickup for the street (not particulary cheap either - but with a result that's obviously much more practical for my situation).

I would strongly encourage you to follow your dreams with determination and passion while you have this chance. Believe me when I say time begins to roll by fast once you get past that half-way point. (-:

You've got a great start. Hang in there, dig in your heels, and follow through for all you're worth. You'll be happier than you can imagine if you do. My hearty congratulations on your progress. I look forward to seeing more of your story - and photos of your first ride.

6. voxnut

voxnut
    from sacramento

Thanks for all the great feedback guys. I know that this will be a slog due to meager funding, but it will happen. Once the reality set in and we took the big step and made the committment to go down this path, the boyhood giddiness has been replaced with determination.

I failed to mention, to try to make the blog more interesting, I've inserted links to photos and video, so any of the words that are a different color are a link to something.

Thanks again for all the encouragement.

All the best,
    Dean

7. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

You guys are nuts sitting behind that engine. :D Lippy

8. Rich1028

Rich1028

great read!
    I'm 45 and love the old front engine dragsters.
    keep up on the updates!

9. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Stan292, You speak volumes of wisdom of this there is NO DOUBT, however there is one point in which I VEHEMENTLY DISAGREE:( (respectfully of course) and I have made it bold in your quote below. In the same good spirit you have shared YOUR WISDOM I would hope that you reconsider:D

Luke!!! What's up buddy????? Any progress reports lately???

Lippy's right you guys ARE nuts!!!!!!

10. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

If you EVER need to get a hold of me you can call me at

1-310-768-3163 BRUCE DYDA

11. Great story!!! I wish you the best of luck!! Definitely keep us posted on the build!! Some of the best things in life are the ones you have to work the hardest for and wait the longest for. It's great to hear you dream is becoming a reality after all those years.

12. voxnut

voxnut
    from sacramento

Thanks again guys- I'll update once I get pictures of the car in progress and map out what we're working on and where we're at. I'm sure I'll be placing "wanted" ads for used but servicable parts as we need them.

Dean

13. LZ

LZ

Dean:

A local guy is having a ROO FED built.. Think he is supposed to start on the Car around the end of year. Irregardless I will post some pics from him for eye candy

There is a lot of talent on this Board so if any questions should arise just shoot.

FEDs are great. Your one with the car and can see feel everything.
    Plus you get to hear from everyone....... "WOW... you put your wedding tackle right on the rear.. dont you worry"..;):p:D:cool:

Luke

14. voxnut

voxnut
    from sacramento

A couple of you might be interested in the other project I'm involved in- in 1964 a guy named Tom Dicktakes concieved of building his own quad cam hemi for top fuel racing, and he's been working on it ever since. Dedicated his entire life to it as a matter of fact. If you've ever seen "The World's Fastest Indian" he's kinda the drag racing version of Burt Munro. Tommy has done everything in his garage on a little Atlas lathe and small mill. He's retired now, but his day gig was as a parks and rec groundskeeper.

Anyway, over time I've become his right hand on this deal in terms of helping him out.

Here's a couple of You Tube vids if you're interested. These fireups are just on Alky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zna3-x-AUZs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78DOfeG05-c

I should have more vids posted with it on nitro in the future.

Here's a tour of the engine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H53fSqjCvsM I know I said two plugs per head, when I meant to say per cylinder. The passenger car tires are only on it so it will fit in the trailer. Obviously at the track we have the big slicks on it.

Last is an article I did for the long-defunct Rust Magazine, but Nitrogeezers posted it online if you care to read more about it and see pics of the inside.

http://www.nitrogeezers.com/tom_dicktakes_innovator.htm

I was talking to Garlits at the CHRR and he still remembers Tommy well and wanted me to make sure to tell Tommy that the engine belongs in his museum when he's done with it.

We're also taking the car out to test and tune at Sacramento on the 7th. We were out there a couple of weeks ago, but Tom broke a blower belt on the burnout and they made us go as the last pass of the test and tune, so there wasn't time to replace it and try again. Tommy hasn't made a full run in the 1/4 yet. Well, he did one- but he started in one lane and ended up in the other. So the only times we have are a 240MPH 1/8 mile time. It's kind of a heavy deal because this has been Tommy's only race car, so not only is he trying to establish a good baseline, but he's trying to learn how to drive a top fueler without having the experience of driving slower race cars. I'm sure you can appreciate how expensive it is to do this deal, especially on a fixed income, so we only make it out once or twice a year- but Tom works on the car all day, every day.

If you are in Nor Cal and the weather is decent on the 7th, feel free to come out to the track and say howdy. We'll probably put you to work too. ;-)

All the best,
    Dean

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  15. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

great read, I'm looking forward to following the build up.

16. voxnut

voxnut
    from sacramento

Thanks Bruce! You may regret giving me your phone number!

17. voxnut

voxnut
    from sacramento