Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A New Can of Beans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porknbeaner, Jan 15, 2018.

1. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I will be there to push Ben down the track if I have too. :D
    I am trying my best to help. ;)

2. Beaner, i have always imagined you were a "brakes? i'll worry about that later" type of guy.:D:cool:

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  3. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

A 55 Chevy bolt pattern measures about 3-3/8" side to side and 1-11/16" top to bottom.

A 57 Ford also has a 4 bolt pattern. I can probably get that for you tomorrow.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

57 Ford is about 3-1/4" side to side and 2" up down.

loudbang likes this.
  5. loudbang

loudbang

BB/A Crosley known as the Blue Goose, raced by Peterson, Bowman and Steele of Ann Arbor, Michigan.

BBA Crosley known as the.JPG

6. Wish I had looked earlier when we were headed for the garage. I'll be back out later and run a tape on my bolt pattern. I'll bet that it is tri 5 chevy. Makes sense in my twisted logic. LOL

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. OK fans finally a little progress. Not much but well I'm slow OK? @Austin kays came over to play yesterday. I had this old motor just hangin' on this old engine stand and it seemed like it may just fit real well in the Crosley. First the mundane.

IMG_20180429_173548_639.jpg

Never ceases to amaze me how much crap you got to do to hang a motor on a hoist. Especially when you are "super organized" like I am. Fortunately for him I think that Austin caught his organizational skills from @Tim and his patience from me. LOL

Finally after some assembly and moving things around we got the engine on the hoist and ready for the moment of truth.

received_10204599559184832.jpeg
    That cheap swap meet tilter ( I think that the missus gave 7 bucks for it :) ) is handier than pockets in a T shirt.

Didn't take long to get it stabbed in the hole and basically set so that I can start building my frame mounts. It fits I am amazed.

IMG_20180429_173631_020.jpg

IMG_20180429_173631_021.jpg

It isn't real easy to tell so just for chits n giggles we ended up with a 26" setback (give or take a fraction) and about 20" crank center. On a 111 inch (and change) wheel base that works out to about 23% (someone could get a calculator out and correct my numbers if they wanted to). It is almost an altered after all. ;)

8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

If you can’t sit a bucket seat in front of the motor it’s not shoved back enough. Beaner school of engineering lol

Nostrebor, raven, brad2v and 5 others like this.
  9. slowmotion

slowmotion

Damn handy to have some young muscle around, ain't it Beaner?
    Glad to see some progress. Is that the mill outa the Pusher?

10. If you ask @raven he'll tell you that you can tell one that I built because you can stand between the frame horns and work on the motor. :D

Yep, outta the Pusher I think this is the 5th or 6th car its been in. That old motor out of the Pusher is a Timex motor. I got lucky when I screwed that one together. ;)

And absolutely correct, anyone with much sense take a young man under his wing and passes the tradition on. Its does two things the skill doesn't die and it takes a lot of the load off of his old bones. ;)

The down side to all this is that @Austin kays thinks that even an old 21 stud needs a little setback. :D

11. Austin kays

Austin kays

Lol everything could use a little set back ;) haha and its always good time workin with Benno

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. always nice to have you here. makes the time go along better. ;)

13. Looks like it fits great. HRP

14. I think I could have fit a V10 in there.LOL

I saved your motor mount too.;)

15. Well not to bounce my own thread (because it doesn't really need to be bounced) but I think I failed to mention that with the engine setting where it should be the GM side mounts land on the original flat caddy mounts. Makes building frame mounts a lot easier.

loudbang, Stogy, brad2v and 2 others like this.
  16. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Noticed that in your pictures porknbeaner. Should make that part a bit easier. I just figured that you planned it that way.;)

chryslerfan55, loudbang and enloe like this.
  17. Nope just lucky. I have always been lucky when it comes to things with wheels. :D

It amazes me how well my parts of choice are fitting, very little modification to make them go where the flat cad and the '39 transmission once was. The Kid was actually telling me as we were setting it in place that he recently read somewhere that the best replacement for a Caddy flathead was the SBC. As fitment goes I guess that they were right.

We actually ran the tape on it a couple of weeks ago when we were seeing if the Sag was going to fit and the engine pretty much landed on our chalk marks. I was a little off on my setback calcs. I had figured 22-24" and we ended up with 26. If I can get to a set, I would like to scale my wheels when the build is done just to see my bias. I am thinking about 60/40 (front to back) but that is just a guestimation on my part.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    Stogy, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

It’ll be so light you could go buy some Dollar store bathroom scales lol

loudbang and brad2v like this.
  19. Actually once I get the engine nailed down I am going to dribble the front end like a basket ball. Just for grins.

20. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I'm thinking if it ever hooks, it'll be more like the Little Red Wagon!

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  21. LOL we all have the same thoughts on that one. If I went with a deeper gear that what I currently own and a pair of super sticky slickys I got an idea that we could actually turtle it in the staging lanes. Which would be really cool one time. :D

Stogy, chryslerfan55, brad2v and 2 others like this.
  22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I think most of the build plan for this car relies heavily on the idea of never finding strong traction lol

loudbang likes this.
  23. When it is finally done like I want it to be done the plan is a "smoker". Won't be as fast as it could be and it'll only happen once a year ( the rest of the time it'll be just toodling around) but it will be fun and make everyone giggle. :D

Stogy, chryslerfan55, brad2v and 4 others like this.
  24. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  25. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

My guess with the H/P to weight ratio this car should just get up on the tires.
    I only see big wheelies if you try to.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  26. I got another 40 hood that I need to get from Iowa. I plan on sticking with the clamshell 2, '40 hoods deal like the original plan for the car was. ;)

Thanks for the heads up.

27. belair

belair

bitchin

loudbang likes this.
  28. loudbang

loudbang

New name for it " BOUNCING BEANER" :)

Stogy, raven, chryslerfan55 and 3 others like this.
  29. Guess it could be a "Mexican Jumping Bean(er)"

Stogy, raven, Max Gearhead and 4 others like this.
  30. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Good to see the tornado didn't get you!