Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A New Can of Beans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porknbeaner, Jan 15, 2018.

1. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

When I was there it was like running on damp sand.
    Wasn't the best condition.
    The short course may not have been dragged as much as the long one.
    Sure would like to go back some day. :)

loudbang likes this.
  2. Well we are both pretty narrow ( Nar :) ) If I steer and you shift we could probably make the trip. ;)

loudbang and saltflats like this.
  3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Sounds good to me.
    My carry on bag is pretty small.
    Now if we were to run into the weather I did on my trip it could interesting real quick.

loudbang and Max Gearhead like this.
  4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

upload_2018-1-18_10-10-30.jpeg Crosley with Opel front end next to B210, Crosley looks smaller in frontal area. And is very stylish. But the 40 Ford front will be very nice also. And, come on guys. Driving on the salt isn't that bad.

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Rich I was not saying its bad.
    It's just the people that say my car will run 140 mph and would give me shit because I couldn't make 130 mph.
    Those guys that say they can run 140 mph haven't tried it on the salt.

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Hell your wife’s daily has already run on the flats your like half way there

loudbang likes this.
  7. I think that the trick is not to over react. Its a lot like anything else when it seems a little bit slick or different than dry asphalt people have a tendency to over do everything. You just have to relax and let things roll out.

8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I meet all kinds of guys whose cars will go 150 or faster. In their dreams. I just tell them to bring it out and show me the time slip. I also meet some people who tell me their car can go 400. And it does. I don't tell them anything.

chryslerfan55, brEad, 302GMC and 10 others like this.
  9. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

Here's one from 1962 with a ford in it . Probably got a little squirrely with that short wheel base. 20180118_143316.jpg

10. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe a some of Squirrel's fans have jumped ship and become P&B racer fans.

Who needs a big block racer anyhow?

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  11. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I have always been a P&B race fan and have never seen him race. But we have had several race discussions.

loudbang likes this.
  12. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

upload_2018-1-18_13-10-18.jpeg My favorite, street driven, Crosley. On the salt. I really think the model A fenders are way to cool. In '58 or '59 I used to see a similar Crosley, except it was a wagon, with Model A fenders cruising El Camino. Had a 331 Cad in it. And a pretty cool Chrysler powered racer thrown in for good measure.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  13. vbarker

vbarker

In 1949 the body change last Crosley were built in 1952 Crosley in 1949 came out with a sport car called Hot Shot

14. Dave Rondou

Dave Rondou

This was Dave Lucarie(sp) Crosley. It was Ardun powered. I road in it a few times. Lost Dave years ago (RIP)

15. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beaner, did you pick up the Crosley in Eudora? Surroundings look familiar. Looks like a fun project.

16. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Yes. Turbo charged in later years. Really neat car. He told me he drove it out from Massachusetts. Or someplace like that east of Salt Lake City.

17. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Don't miss a shift though. :p

18. Austin kays

Austin kays

Yeah that's where it came from. Jimmy flowers had it

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Alright doing a mental inventory of what beaners got hanging on his walls I think what he’s gonna need in order to blast it around the block for the first time is as follows.
    -open drive conversion for the 40 ford rear
    -driveshaft
    -brake guts and cylinders for all 4 corners~ 40-48 ford backing plates
    - master cylinders, thinking he wants to run Chevy jam jars
    -ladder bars for the rear with pan hard bar

The rest would be normal stuff like hardware, brake lines and fittings.

I know he’s got a cheap 4 link and brackets on the shelf and Austin isn’t likely going to use the long rear wish bones on the model A so in theory we could use the radius rods/ bones as the lower leg, then use a 4 bar link for the top bar, maybe leave the ends adjustable and mount it to the lower with a tab? Use another one of the 4 bar links for a pan hard and then build something to bolt them to.

Unless someone’s got a pete and jakes ladder bar set up and crossmember they keep tripping over lol

Just doing some chores and thinking about what it’s going to take to get this thing in the track in August.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and saltflats like this.
  20. Rich,
    I think that times go in both directions on the salt. I have spent some time looking at motorcycle records for example and seen them for 750CC modified as low as 74 MPH, in an era that a typical 650 Triumph stock would run in the 100 MPH range. On the other hand it seems like the blowfish went stupid fast with a 4 cylinder.

I must say that there are some interesting Crosleys on this thread. I hope no one is expecting me to compete when it comes to fit and finish, I am just a broken down old mechanic and I would hate to have anyone to be disappointed.

Tim's list is pretty close to correct, some of the stuff I can manufacture and some of it I will just have to bite the bullet and buy. Could be worse, I could have an empty garage and no prospects. LOL

21. Ya -Right........Selling yourself a lil short? C'mon!

22. SR100

SR100

Or sandbagging? :rolleyes:

48fordnut and loudbang like this.
  23. Maybe just a lil.....I know with B it's function over form....;)

24. doug warren

doug warren

Shes a cutie.

25. So I was just over on the drag snake thread ( pretty damned cool build) and reading what @Deuced Up! posted got me to thinking. I wonder if I have room for my old plastic seats in the cab of this little bugger.

I am getting over the flu a little bit so maybe today is a good day to drag them out and see if they fit. Gawd I hope so. Try and snag a pic later if I can.

26. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I bet your shoulder to shoulder. If there’s any interference it’ll be with the trans/driveshaft tunnel I’d guess

27. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Just saw this thread. I am excited to see the thrash to make it to the drags. Go man go!

Sent from my P7100 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You may have to have some stagger in them.