Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration A look back/ and forwards

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48ford, Dec 27, 2019.

1. 48ford

48ford

were looking at a new year 2020
    Think of the changes we have seen!
    I’m looking at my ford,that’s as old as me, in my life the changes,now we’re looking at Tesla’s
    What will our grandkids see?
    I still play with carbs, but the youngest boy says” old man,they haven’t put a carbon a car in 30 years!”
    I feel like we’re gett left behind
    Happy new decade

Stogy likes this.
  2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Getting left behind? Lol good! I’ve been waiting for them to leave since they got tired of OCC bikes and playing weekend biker lol

3. I for one am looking forward to a new year, I hope it's a good one for all of us. HRP

j3harleys, Stogy, Tickety Boo and 3 others like this.
  4. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

There is a young mechanic at work who is excellent at his job he fixes a good amount of cars everyday and his comebacks are quite rare. He is 28 years old and he jokes all the time that he has never worked on a carburetor. He said that when he was on his apprenticeship and going to school the tech school teacher spent a couple hours going over carburetors.
    The teacher said “ you guys won’t see many of these so we won’t spend any time on carburetors”.

The last car I remember being made with a carburetor was a 1987 Hyundai pony - now electric cars are coming fast- strange times!

vtx1800, Stogy, loudbang and 2 others like this.

5. Don’t feel too bad,,,we were meant to be left behind.
    That is just the way it works,,,always has been.

And besides,,,,all of these old cars here were left behind,,,,,,but yet,,,here we are,,,still admiring the workmanship and remembering the old times.
    The young guys coming up will feel the same way too,,,,just give them time.

And carbs will be around a long time after I’m gone,,,maybe not everyday from the OEM,s,,,,but young people love to tinker,,,,and to see how something really works.
    Hard to see anything in a efi system,,,,air sensors and enclosed switches.

It’s gonna be just fine !

Tommy

mnjeff and Stogy like this.
  6. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I agree. Next year has to be better than this year was.

Stogy likes this.
  7. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

True enough what’s old is new again.

Stogy likes this.
  8. I was never good with repairing carbs because it was once easy to find a good carb shop in town or the the parts store would have them. Not anymore. Recently I had to ship a carb clear across the country to have it rebuilt. The turn around time was very good but if it was my DD, it would have been a big problem.

Stogy likes this.
  9. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Every day I feel one day older.

Stogy and arkiehotrods like this.
  10. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I was bad at building at carburetors. I got into Corvairs... specifically the 140HP versions with 4 carbs. I am now much better at building carburetors.;)

It's funny that once your friends figure out you actually understand how those things work they all want you to rebuild theirs too!

I'm learning about GenIII/IV GM powertrains and their fuel systems now as I help my son build his truck. Not HAMB friendly, but still fascinating for a tinkerer. I'm not going to tell nearly as many friends if we get this FI thing figured out.:D

Stogy and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  11. Carburetors and distributors are long gone from our apprenticeship curriculum

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Stogy likes this.
  12. carbking

carbking

Too bad, there is a TREMENDOUS market for good carb rebuilders. Even though we have advertised for years that we only make and sell parts and existing carbs, we turn down an average of 8~10 carb restorations DAILY!

Some of the programs are cheating their students!

Jon.

Stogy, loudbang and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  13. X-cpe

X-cpe

I will have to respectfully disagree. To spend significant time on the past, out of the proscribed time allowed, would be cheating the students out of the instruction needed to prepare them for the "now and future" where they are going to be making their living. If you are 50 or younger the chances of you working on carbs or points ignition are fairly slim. (Probably just a few in the beginning.)
    There are programs across the country where an interested student can get that kind of training. Personally, if a student shows interest I will take the time. That's what office hours and after class are for.

Stogy likes this.
  14. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

Yes, the older I get the faster I was.

ramblin dan and Stogy like this.
  15. It’s still a specialty market, the reality is the vast majority of our techs have not and never will work on one.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Stogy likes this.
  16. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

O.P. - Looking "back and forward"...
    Why the "s"..? There shouldn't be an "s" after "forward"..! The word is singular. Isn't the English language screwed up enough without people taking it upon themselves to make it worse ?

Mike

17. Mimilan

Mimilan

Don't be "Skeered" of old age and the future.
    This video sums it up [old habits with new toys] It is a TV advertisement in NZ

The car in question was converted to electric by the energy company [I've seen it in the flesh,"it's quite cool"]

Stogy likes this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

SD.jpg

2020...Shit Have a Good One...:D

Credit to All That Inspired this...

loudbang and Mimilan like this.
  19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Yesterday is gone but,we have learned much along the way - today is now, enjoy and learn all that you can - tomorrow holds many unknowns - make plans and look forward to the future - do what you can to help others to discover what you have learned and experienced - maybe we can help the future to be better for younger generations - dust to dust

Stogy likes this.
  20. Work in the future, but relish the past.

Stogy likes this.
  21. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

A good friend of 30 plus years had this on the back of his 64 Chrysler 300K drag car,
    "Obsolete is Neat"
    I have taken pleaser in resembling that statement.

Stogy likes this.
  22. 327Eric

327Eric

Techs and Mechanics are two different animals. No real need for a Tech to learn the past. The ones with a passion will learn, and become a Mechanic. Most shops won't touch an old car because they take up too much bay time for the money made. Me, I'm a crusty old dinosaur. I could care less about technology, haven't turned a wrench professionally in 15 years, and don't plan to again. I did just buy another old afb, so I can run dual 4s on something, have points and stickshifts, and loud pipes. I am going to solid core plug wires next to mess with people. I am 48, so I have a long time to watch this world die.

Desoto291Hemi and Stogy like this.
  23. grumpy65

grumpy65

Hey Mimilan,
    Hope I haven't got this wrong, but you remind me a lot of someone who helped me out with info about 18 months ago. Good to find you and be able to learn from your stuff again.

Stogy likes this.
  24. 327Eric

327Eric

25. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Imagine a vintage wrinkle finish Kennedy machinist tool chest, having a conversation with a vintage Sun distributor testing machine, and the Kennedy tool chest ask's the question, " just what the hell is a reluctor wheel ? "

Stogy likes this.
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I sold my old A Coupe Project I was contacted buy a place that did those conversions and were checking it out for a client for that purpose...I got to thinking you'd have to have a sound system to provide the Rumpity Rump...:D

I don't know if I'll live long enough till I'm given a choice of switch or not but I will Gas it till I can't...Then I'll do the Neil Young...There Comes a Time....Keep Your Chins Up it's Gonna Be A Helluva Ride

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yesterday my wife says 2020, can you believe it, then she said wow, where did the last 20 years go.
    Happy New Year all.

Stogy likes this.
  28. Mimilan

Mimilan

That would be on the wishbone 3-link thread. And my husband "Kerrynzl"

Kerry was banned over some drama on the "post a vintage photo thread" where he posted a lot of old racing photos from a deceased estate/ private collection in NZ he acquired.
    Apparently it was supposed to be USA photos only and 1 member constantly complained about it [Kerry doesn't accept Xenophobia too well and lacked diplomacy handling it]
    He has over 10,000 photos from an era when his dad raced and he was a kid ,that will never see the light of day again.

Between us we have a good partnership, Kerry taught me a lot about engineering from his lifetime involvement in racing .
    [we had a business together building racing cars ,shown on his avatar here and I am the "Model" posing]

I chime in here a lot and occasionally Kerry will help me answer/post .
    Kerry doesn't like dangerous /hack job engineering and his Math [and Mine] is beyond the scope of many builders

oldiron 440 and Stogy like this.
  29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't be...But perhaps in our lifetime you may be possibly see such legislation...It just might be more expensive to stay old and smoggy...:D..Do Like I'm doing...Just Drive and enjoy what you have till that time comes...and if you have to down the road Mad Max it with a Ginormous Generator that'll lift the wheels of the ground it will be another day...

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  30. Mimilan

Mimilan

I have to add this......

"Today is the youngest you will ever be"

oldiron 440 and Stogy like this.