Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods A Long Time Coming, But Not There Yet...The Bass Hemi Model A Coupe Version 2.0

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bass, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Nice job there Brian, pipes are awesome.

2. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

As per usual Brian....Excellent.

3. Cshabang

Cshabang

4. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Amazing work. What type of baffles did you end up using?

5. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Thanks for the encouraging words fellas! I just took it around the block, and it sounds bitchin'! Kinda reminds me of the way Nascar cars sound.

It's not quiet like a new Cadillac or anything, but it's a marked improvement over the decibel level that it had before.

James, they are 4.50/4.75-16 Firestones....otherwise known as "basketballs." :D

I had them road-force balanced and put some of those Dynabeads in them,and they are pretty smooth now. Not smooth like "radial" smooth, but acceptable for a bias ply.

Larry, they are the same ones we talked about. The little short ones that go from 3.5" to 3.0" I.D....they're made by Schoenfeld, and I bought them at Smiley's Racing.

6. kisam

kisam

You amaze me!

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I like everything except the idea of Hot coating them....unless you were going jet gloss black. There's something cheap about the aluminized look of jet coating but you seem dialed in and I'll go ahead and trust your judgement on your car.

Looking good.

8. I like it - a lot! Have a safe trip.

9. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Stunning work Brian, as usual....

Just my two cents regarding this builder: Brian is the next builder who will set new limits of tasteful construction and design which will push the boundries of a nostalgic hot rod, while maintaining the spirit of a traditional styled hot rod....

10. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

.....saying that Candy-Man....why won't he let me drive it?

What a meany.

11. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

I think you scare him, must be a Crazy Canuck thing, Eh ......

12. Hot Rod Bob

Hot Rod Bob
    from T-ville Ky

Brian that is awesome work!!!

13. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I definitely agree with this. His stuff is so well done and while most of the construction far superior and nicer then the stuff that was being done. It does however carry the spirt like you said of cars built in the yesteryear. I mean the perfect rolled tig welds are nothing you would have seen back in the day especially seen on suspension set ups like the ones he's done but it's hard to tell a craftsman to "dumb" it down and make things look worse. I would like to see him Heli Arc a set of headers thought like seen on the Iaccono Roadster...might be interesting to see what he can do there.

There were definitely exceptions to this rule though. Now all the stuff done back in the day was rough and cobbled and I'd like to think that Brian puts out stuff that would have been on the Doane Spencer type car back in the day.

14. Rusty

Rusty

awesome upgrades!!!!!!!!!

15. Dirty2

Dirty2

Looking really really good !

16. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

Now this is a HOT ROD!! Gives off earthshaking vibes sitting there not even running.

[​IMG]

17. Peter Mc Mahon

Peter Mc Mahon
    from Ontario

18. deto

deto

too bad ass!

19. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome Brian. Some really cool treatments Im sure you'll see again and not just the frame. The roadster rear panel/short decklid looks great as does the 32 treatment on the windshield. Much better then the slanted post Briggs idea Im toying with. Have a great trip and thanks for posting so much of both phases of the build. many of us have learnt a lot Im sure.

20. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

Do you think a guy could get by with less studs welded on the roof insert,like every 6 in,im thinking about doing this and just trying to figure out the details before i begin.

21. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Maybe, but I wanted it to fit as tight as possible. The tighter it fits, the less of a chance there is of leaks. Also, if you really try to torque the nuts on the studs down, you run the risk of pulling a pucker into the insert.

22. It was nice meeting you and finally getting to see the coupe in person last weekend Brian.
    I look forward to the paint update.

Mike

23. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

ya,i think your right,thanks for the input.

24. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

Bad ass Bass. you have some skills, always top notch. Maybe one day you could make a road trip through Ventura county CA. for the Ventura Nationals.

25. i think this might be my favorite coupe of all time... have had a pic of it hangin in my office now for over 4 years

26. Used Up Junk

Used Up Junk
    from Merced, CA

Hey Brian, I tried shooting you a PM but for some reason it didn't go through. In the other build thread for this car you said you didn't pinch the frame at the cowl you actually spread the cowl. I'm getting ready to drop a '29 sport coupe on a stock width '32 frame and I really don't want to have to pinch the frame. I was wondering if you could share how you did this while still having a cowl that looks "right" also, when you set up your frame is it a stock width '32 or did you narrow up the rails at the rear a bit? My body dosen't sit over the frame right through the doors and the quarters in front of the rear tires. The body is to narrow through that area as well. Did you just slightly spread the bottom of your body in this area as well? Thanks for any advice you can give. Later, Roger

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  27. Used Up Junk

Used Up Junk
    from Merced, CA

I forgot to add. I bought the frame already finished for another project. It's already boxed and ready to go, that's the main reason I don't want to mess with it!

28. artificer64

artificer64
    from maine

Thank you for all of this. You have done a perfect car.
    I am building a '30 model
    a coupe with a blown 392 hemi. IMG_20170513_191201.jpg
    I like your '29 better but I couldn't find one right off, so I settled for a '30.