Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration A little something I'm working on...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 21, 2016.

1. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

Sign me up for 1 or 2, if there are any left, please.

2. Very nice!:cool: Note: the Parker Jotter is not made in America. It is however the most popular and used pen. Parker was originated in Wisconsin for a very short time and then became a British Company. It is now owned by an American Company but not made in the US. I guess not much is made here anymore. Lets hope that changes. Put me on the list!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  3. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

I thought Parker was originally located in Janesville Wisconsin, as an American Company?

4. Yes that is correct! But only for a short time.

5. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

I like old cars

chiro likes this.
  6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I really liked the idea of these glove box wallets and I realize that they sold out quickly and I could have bought one on the offer that was made to Alliance members.

What stopped me (and I know that I will be in the minority and may even catch some heat on it) was the price.

Exclusive and neat etc., aside I just couldn't see the value.
    Some leather and sewing. Embossing the logo.
    A $16.50 pen, a $5.00 tire pressure gauge and a $10 package of Field notes.

Call me crazy but I think that they were $25 over priced.

At $100 I just couldn't pull the trigger.
    Just my thoughts on it for what it's worth. :D

WiredSpider likes this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Functional Art is what it is...supporting the hard work of the leadership. I am privileged to be here. I am fortunate to be able to purchase and did because I want that in the ole glovebox. An interesting well thought out functional product as most all the items put forth here are.
    I am myself truly an artist and do an artwork. The pencil is a buck, the paper is 3 bucks, the frame is 70 bucks and I want 600 bucks. Thats how it is. The creative mindset and work involved in creating it...it has value too. But all that really doesn't matter you just price it and put it out there to the masses. Those that buy it like it, enjoy it and get what ever they get out of it and as an artist it is a very rewarding feeling. Compliments and criticisms are a part of it too. Its not about pleasing the masses its about doing what feels right...And I Stogy pledge to get my glovebox inneth my Hotrod this winter to rest my soon to arrive functional Hotrod Artwork there...;)

seadog likes this.
  8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Sorry for the slow reply. I just saw this for the first time... I actually agree with you 100%. This thing should be more like $65 to $75. Unfortunately, they cost me more than $75 to put together. I was unable to talk either Parker or Milton into giving me wholesale pricing and the leather I chose was crazy expensive... I only made them because I wanted one myself.

To my surprise though, they sold out really quickly... and I'm now making 50 more in a different color way.

9. not trying to stick my nose in someone else's business.....those Milton tire gauges go for about $8 most places. i was able to get 12 of them through work for $4.69 each , so there is some room in pricing

they made nice Christmas gifts to my car friends

10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I actually found some for less than $3 online!!! No shit. And then they arrived and while they were stamped with "Made in the USA", they were no different than the shitty little ones you can get at AutoZone. So I called Milton and they said it's pretty common for people to sell cheap chinese made knockoffs online. Because of that, I've been super nervous about buying any that I can't verify are genuine.

In fact, the main reason I'm doing 50 more is that I had to buy a shitload of the genuine gauges to get even a decent price... and I have 50 left!

embyman68, Hunter73 and Blue One like this.