Register now to get rid of these ads!

a little shoebox progress

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kustom7777, Jan 4, 2008.

1. That's cool, and I agree!

An unchopped coupe just looks classy and understated in my book, even better with the wildly tastefule nose that's coming together.

Did I mention I liked the side trime layout?

2. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

WHAT??--No Packard spears??...no way, its g@y & you suck!!...

Serious holmes...your killing it and rocking every old school trick there is--I F@CKIN LOVE IT...Nice job!

Chad - YOU muthaf@#$%^&*(_)_+_(( :( :( :(--tch....No wonder i cant find any...lolol
    Kool pic.....

3. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

4. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

yeah,,,just made relief cuts in the fender and the buckets (had to go pretty far back in the fenders to make it line up,,,,,not terribly difficult though once i figured out what to do,,,

5. bonesy

bonesy

Coupes look much better without a chop - pretty ride.

6. emiliedk

emiliedk
    from denmark

looks pretty good Jim! and i agree..dont chop it
    keep us updated
    palle

7. Zed

Zed
    from FRANCE

Nice project you have ! I dig 58 ford trim on every thing !

those slanted buick headlites are too kool ! i see a tribute to Paul Bragg... am i wrong ? :D

8. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

thanks for the compliment,,,,just trying to be original (really difficult,,MOST things have been done before),,,,now im curious though,,,did paul bragg do some of the stuff i did?...im gonna go to riksters kustom site and look at paul bragg cars now,,

ok went to riksters site,,,,saw the 50 merc hes doing with the canted buick headlights,,,looks great on the merc,,,,glad it was on a merc and not a shoebox,,,so im still "kinda original" i guess,,,hahaha..

9. Chad s

Chad s

They are all 112's, except for the far left 2 are a pair of 552's that date back to the early 50's, and came off of one Barris custom, and were sold to the owner of another very famous Barris custom, as his "spare set" as they were often stolen off of cars (Hirohata had his stolen at one point). One of the blunt end 112's in the right has the wrong retainer ring. The one on the far right is actually a near NOS unmarked bucket that a friend found in his parts stash, once he knew I had an appleton fetish.

112's are nice, but they are a pre-war spotlight. The 552 replaced the 112 in the late 40's, with a sealed beam. The handle changed also for the 552's. If you look at all of the pictures of late 40's and early 50's custom's, you will actually see 552 style handles. The spotlights that the Barris brothers sold to all of their clients were 552's. I'm not sure where the whole idea that 112's were the spotlight of the early custom era, but that is not really true. I have talked to a few guys there "were there" at the time, and all of the cars had 552's. The 552 is the exact same bucket as the blunt style 112 (there were 2 shapes of 112 bucket, though kind of subtle, there was a very pointed end version, and a slightly blunter end, both styles are shown in the picture I posted in this thread). You will find some early customs (i.e. Westerguard) that did have 112's (ID'd by the handle styles), but there are just a few. Its a minor detail, and from 5 feet away, few would notice, but for 100% period correctness on a late 40's-mid 50's custom, 552 are the proper part number.

Kustom7777, I'm sure we can work something out.

10. choppermatt

choppermatt

def unchopped. looks real good, i like the buicks non-frenched. gives front end a lil more chrome. the grill looks real good. too bad you dont got needle nose skirts anymore, woulda looked good on here too