Register now to get rid of these ads!

A little rust on a 1940 chev.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by raceratrod, Dec 4, 2008.

1. raceratrod

raceratrod

Well its my first time to start a new thread, and maybe add some pictures of one of my cars.:confused: Anyway we are starting with a $400 car and a bunch of E.M.S. repair panels .
    Some of the repairs may not be conventional, but with this much rot you have no choice.
    The first place i started was on the suspension , so the car would at least roll around easy . We removed the old sheetmetal and sand blasted the frame were we welded.
    Next we tackled the body repairs . We used e.m.s repair panels ,and found them to be of good quality ,but in need of some adjustments .Major problems were with the curve of the rocker and door . This was fixed by cutting the top off the rocker and flatting out the curve . We saved top and made a extension plate and rewelded .
    The body repair started with hanging a door square to the rear qtr.
    panel . Then welding a qtr repair panel lined up with door .This gave us a 90 with the door ,qtr., and roof. We pulled the cowl forward and jacked it up untill the door fit the opening . At this time we set our rocker panel and body mtg to match with the mounting points on the frame.
    P.S. the motor not hamb freindly is for my 69 chevelle ans only there for fit.

Attached Files:

2. raceratrod

raceratrod

3. raceratrod

raceratrod

continued

Attached Files:

4. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Had to do all the same rapair work on my 40 chevy - rockers, floors, etc. etc.
    Looks like you're making good progress.

5. Demo Derby X-100

Demo Derby X-100

6. What did you do to those poor door hinges????

Charlie

7. raceratrod

raceratrod

The stock hinges were rotted beyond use .Suicide hinges are not to my liking, but with that much rot it was the easy way to square the body .

The plate is what is called for to support the door.

8. DEMO DERBY X100 - That's exactly what one of MY cars looked like when we dug it out! Took 2 days to get it out. A year later, this is what it looked like...

Attached Files: