Register now to get rid of these ads!

A little of subject but Important BEWARE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carlos, Feb 6, 2011.

1. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

2. 73RR

73RR

Yeah, being stuck in the 50's isn't so bad.

3. GREASER815

GREASER815

4. DIRTY_WHITE_BOY

DIRTY_WHITE_BOY
    from Tennessee

Thanks for info!! I had no idea Gus

5. Thanks for posting! this needs to be seen..

6. jimmitchell70

jimmitchell70
    from CT

There have been a couple of show us your driveway type posts lately. You may not want to post on them.

7. Pharouh

Pharouh

I was wondering about that myself.

8. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

SCARY !

I'm glad I don't believe in cell phones,

But it would be good if we could get the thief's to take a picture of the car after they stashed the car.

9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. I had no idea! So how do we tell if we have a camera or phone capable of betraying our location? Both my phone and camera are a couple years old...Any help would be appreciated as I Might have to take photos off this site....Hope not!

11. bubmrdrmerc

bubmrdrmerc
    from oklahoma

man that sucks... damn technology

12. Greezeball

Greezeball

My I phone asks if I would like to use my location when taking a pic. I always pick "no". My camera has this and I can turn it off in the menu but it only picks up if it's connected to wifi or network.

13. On the I phone you simply turn that function off. not real conserned, The black helicopters know where I live after buying a couple of handguns and paying taxes for several years and the other bad guys, well if they are smart enough to use that they are smart enough to know that I don't have enough to worry about. Amazing what people can do nowadays.

14. wow.. just like the saying goes just because your paranoid doesn't mean that their not after you.. So I guess thats one for cheap cameras... our cheap $40 camera can't even take a good picture. let alone put a GPS stamp on it lol.

15. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

16. Spooky

Spooky

Okay, off topic, but what is it with that ladies hair? A bit of Amy Winehouse envy?

17. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I just use my camera for my pictures, my phone doesn't even have a camera , I don't even know where it is, I think I used it last week

18. When you take a pic with your phone you need to have the save location enabled and you also need to have your satellite function enabled.

I have a G2 android powered phone. I just recently heard about this tagging also. When I checked the camera function of my phone the tagging was off from the manufacturer. I turned it on, took a picture, transferred the picture to my laptop and checked the picture properties. There was no lat and longitude info. Then I realized I didnt have the satellite function turned on my phone. I only turn it on if Im using the gps (helps cut down on battery wear). So I turned it on, took a picture and transferred it again. This time it had all the info. I plugged that info into the gps of my phone and it gave my exact house address.

So just turn off the function in your phone camera settings, or dont take pictures with your satellite feature enabled.

19. LameExcuse

LameExcuse
    from Renton, WA

So much for the guys who scribble out there license plates in photos.

20. I'm with ya. Maybe it's the New Jersey in me but I can't imagine posting pictures of my driveway or shop on this or any other site. This high tech crap is gonna be the end of us all.

21. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

yea man screw technology!!

sent from my jalopy journal iphone app.

22. AntiBling

AntiBling

I thought there was already a thread on this that was deleted? I'll give the same response here as I gave there, "And a gorilla might escape from the zoo and rape me and give me AIDs" or something like that.

23. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Its simple? or so it would seem..but not so fast...turn that function on the phone off when taking pictures..or down loading them off your phone to e-mail or downloading directly to a web site if using a smart phone.
    Really though..if they want to know where your at they will find a way..google maps, license plates, reverse name and address look up..etc....theres just so many ways to become a target these days..
    heck if they know your name, they can google that and 9 times out of 10 know more about you than your wife does:eek:
    mine asked me a while ago about my pilot services business that i had closed a year before i married her...all on the internet, and still there...seems like it all will be forever

24. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I think the gist of the problem isn't that the GPS function (or any other functions with privacy issues) but that these capabilities are not revealed at the time you buy the product. Fuck, they give you 6 pages of warnings about how not to drop them in the toilet or use them in a storm, but nothing about invasion of privacy? Makes you wonder about what the Govt. uses this for eh? Tracking terrorists? Remember the Zerox scare, when they admitted they could duplicate every document copied on a copy machine as it was unknowingly storing the info on it's internal memory? Haven't used on of them lately either. Gary