Register now to get rid of these ads!

A little Model A help needed...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blackjack21, Oct 27, 2006.

1. blackjack21

blackjack21
    from Denver, CO

Got a chance to get this Model A frame, it's a roller that runs, and I guess is driveable. I want to get started on the chassis this winter and work towards a body in the spring. Any problem areas on the frame I should be looking for? I'm going to keep the original 4 banger in it, maybe some dual carbs, and a header etc. Anyways just want to know if there is specific areas I should be looking at on the frame, etc. Thanks in advance for your help.

Best,

-Tyler

8b_1.JPG.jpg

2. alchemy

alchemy

Cracks in the rearmost 10 inches of the rails, near the bumper brace mounts. Rust under the motor sidemount cushions. Cracks in the middle of the front crossmember.

3. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

Please keep us posted on this project. I just went thru a steep learning curve on a dead stocker and am at your service if I can be of help. The project sounds interesting. Congrats on tossing the cookie cutter.

4. Chopperman

Chopperman

That picture is AWESOME...

5. Darwin

Darwin

Do you plan on keeping the whole original drivetrain? If so then refurbishing and/or rebuilding all the genny pieces may well be as expensive and time-consuming as rodding it. Really depends on how lucky you get with parts acquistions. If slamming a car down to the ground is not a requirement then there's a lot to be said for retaining all or most of the genny drivetrain. That keeps the level of modification and fabrication down to a minimum.

One of the most interesting newly available items for stock drivetrains is a Bendix-style brake "floater" conversion from New Zealand that makes mechanical brakes much more effective and practical for a highway driven vehicle.

6. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

Got a link to that brake setup?

7. Darwin

Darwin

Yup:

http://www.rentalcar-newzealand.com/tedsbits/index.htm

Heard nothing but good about them on the Ahooga board. Some do say that it's important that the brakes be in good condition to begin with but that's just common sense.

8. dirtcop

dirtcop

Hi - I have a coupe of model A's. One was completely stock when I bought it and I planned on running around with the 4 banger for awhile. I would check the frame for cracks, bends, and tweaks, but my biggest concern would be the engine. A lot of engines have been left outside without draining and the blocks are cracked from freezing. Mine was cracked and a friends recent purchase was also cracked. To rebuild the 4 bangers can be a little pricey. Have fun.

9. Jalopy-Phil

Jalopy-Phil

I'm heading down the same road. I just rewired it and took it for a ride around the block. I am going to start fab'in the body next. prob make a RPU out of it.

10_1.JPG

33_1.JPG

dc_1.JPG