Register now to get rid of these ads!

A little help with replacing T5 input shaft

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bretcopsey, May 8, 2013.

1. bretcopsey

bretcopsey
    from DAYTON, OH

I've searched high and low, found tons of info, but nothing addressing the assembly of the parts in the picture. I pulled the input shaft from my world class T5 to replace it, was a little careless, and a few small parts scattered when the input came out. I got the needles and thrust bearing sorted out, what I need to know is whether this "spring" is installed before the blocker ring goes on the input, or after?

Attached Files:

2. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

You sure that's not a shim from under the bearing retainer? I don't recall that sort of thing in the input/output shaft area...

Check my signature, click on the link to T5 Tech, click on the first link in that posting (ultimate T5 Tech) and scroll down to the rebuild manuals.

3. bretcopsey

bretcopsey
    from DAYTON, OH

Hell, I'm not sure of anything except that it fell out when I pulled the shaft. Under the bearing retainer may very well be the spot. It's definitely intended to provide tension/thrust as there is a wave to it.

By the way, I was hoping you'd see this and respond. You are definitely the T5 expert around here. Thanks!

4. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

A late Model Mustang site be helpful

5. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

The bearing preload & endplay is determined by shims under the bearing retainer. I've never seen them with a wave to them, but that doesn't mean anything.

6. HamD

HamD

Post up measurements of it and one of us can tell you if it's a front maindrive bearing shim for sure.

The wave of it reminds me of a reverse blocker ring wave spring from a T56 though.

7. bretcopsey

bretcopsey
    from DAYTON, OH

It is .015" thick, 2.50" outer diameter, 2.14" inner diameter.

The transmission is a world class from an S10, 14 spline input shaft with GM pattern. I decoded it to 1993, but have since misplaced the tag and don't remember the number. It has the 3.76 first gear.

Don't know if any of that helps to identify the part/placement. Here's a side view picture of the spring/shim.

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      152.8 KB
      Views:
  8. Motomike43

Motomike43

I have rebuilt several late model T5's and never had a wave spring. In my opinion it would not go between the syncro ring and the shaft. I would think you would put the wave spring into the trans first then set the syncro ring on the shaft and put them in as an assay. then your front bearing retainer to hold it all in. Maybe they use it to hold the end thrust on the input shaft out toward the bearing race?

9. HamD

HamD

2.519" , 2.120" , .031" on a WC camaro V8 box. I'd say you have an acceptable but interesting input bearing shim.

10. bretcopsey

bretcopsey
    from DAYTON, OH

OK, three people now suggesting it is a shim for adjusting bearing pre-load under the retainer bearing race. That's what I'll go with on the new input shaft. Appreciate the feedback!

11. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Did you look at the exploded diagram in the rebuild manual? I didn't see anything other than bearing preload shims in the input area...but I'm on a tiny screen tablet/notebook, so hard to tell for sure.

12. bretcopsey

bretcopsey
    from DAYTON, OH

I think I've concluded that is what this had been used for. All of the diagrams, pictures and videos I've viewed show nothing like this.

The bearing on the input shaft I'm replacing is a bit sloppy, and who knows what has been done over the last 20 years? It turns out that it isn't needed with the new input shaft I'm installing. Adding that shim made things way too tight.

For whatever it's worth, I am swapping in a shaft for a V6 Camaro in place of the S10 shaft. This will give me the right overall length and longer splines for mating up to sbc. I just need to cut down the throwout bearing shaft part of the retainer. Here is a comparison pic I lifted from eBay.

Seller's profile, to give credit:

http://myworld.ebay.com/dansgears?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  13. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Just to ask the obvious, but you did make sure the two input shafts are for the same gearsets, right?

14. bretcopsey

bretcopsey
    from DAYTON, OH

Yep, the shafts are identical except for the spline lengths and overall lengths mentioned above. I have the Camaro shaft in the box now. Just need to figure out the amount to cut off of the bearing retainer. Hopefully I can get to that tomorrow, but likely not with it being mother's day. I'll just have to see what kind of mood my wife is in then...

15. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

If you can't measure, I'd start with 3/8" and work up to 5/8" in 1/8" increments. The S10 input is nominally 5/8" longer than standard GM. Many folks find they need to lengthen the splines as well with a die grinder too. This will depend on your actual clutch disk - I prefer to modify the clutch disk rather than the input shaft, but that's not always possible...check and see.

16. So you have to shorten the Camaro input shaft?

17. bretcopsey

bretcopsey
    from DAYTON, OH

The Camaro shaft is shorter with splines cut further down the length of the shaft, as seen in the picture. I should be able to just bolt up the gearbox to the bellhousing and go once the bearing retainer is cut down

18. Splines and pilot are hardened steel and will have to ground of with a stone.

19. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Die grinder with a cut-off wheel works...

20. nlualum82

nlualum82
    from Oregon

I'm studying this stuff myself and according to all the info I've found:
    A WC T-5 was never standard in an S-10.
    Only non-WC's had 14 splines and they were made for the 4 cylinder 2.5 and the 60 degree 2.8 V6.
    The other shaft could be from a Camaro, but it would be from a V8 model. Same as used with the 90 degree 4.3 V6.
    Hamilton intakes makes a nice $130 spacer that is supposed to allow you to bolt the 14 spline models to sbc's
    There is a thin spacer I have seen on ebay for $25 that would probably make a good template to make the thicker one.

I am hoping I don't have to pay a macnine shop to lengthen my splines. Can you really just grind them yourself and get by?
    I also have an S-10 14 spline T-5 that I want to connect to a Mercruiser 120, supposedly the same as a sbc and posted yesterday to see if anyone had done this and had some advice for a guy who has little cash and less skills.

21. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

'93-94 was a transition year for WC T5. However, all WC T5 in GM products from '93-on used the Ford case bolt pattern.

Yes, he's swapping the input shaft.

Should only be required for S10 T5. AFAIK, the V6 in the Camaro/Firebird have a standard length GM input shaft.

Some have done that. There is no real sliding or movement, so it doesn't have to be exact. A better solution would be to machine the clutch disk.

22. bretcopsey

bretcopsey
    from DAYTON, OH

This trans did decode to 93 S-10. I wish I could find the tag so I could post up the number!

Regardless, it is WC (has front "Timken" bearing for counter shaft). It has a 14 spline S-10 input shaft and it has the standard GM bellhousing pattern. It also has the 3.76 first gear. I checked with a degree wheel to be sure.

The shaft I bought, advertised as Camaro V6 input, and S-10 input shaft both have a 21 tooth gear and coarse 14 splines. It is my understanding that the V8 Camaro input has the fine splines (26/28?) and has a higher gear tooth count (maybe 23?)

I'm not trying to start an argument, a lot of you guys know way more about these than I. No disrespect intended!

23. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

As I said, '93 was a transition year for the S10 - I've heard of all sorts of odd combos for that year.

A Camaro V8 will have a different gearset - they never got the 3.76 gearset with the V8 to my knowledge. The V6 Camaro usually came with a 3.50 gearset, but some years had a 3.76 and possibly 4.03. There was apparently a 4-cyl avail in the F-body cars for some of those years that usually came with the 3.76, but also the 4.03.

I don't have gear ratios for many of the F-body WC trannys, so all bets are off as far as what came with what. But so long as the right number of teeth are on the input gear, you should be good to go. I don't remember if there are any differences between WC and NWC input shafts - that would be the only other concern. There is a fair bit that will swap, but when it comes to gears and synchros, I just avoid that mess and try to keep like with like. ;)

24. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Does anyone know the length of an s10 (nwc) input shaft when you stand it on end on a table or something?