Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A little ghetto upholstery work!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tugmaster, Nov 4, 2012.

1. I've been wanting to do some upholstery work on my car since I got it.The original back seat had a plaid seat coverthat looked like ass.
    I would love to have a full blown custom tuck and roll job done but it will have to wait till I either sell one of my kids or a kidney on ebay. So I took a ride down the road to the local Stuckeys where the have 2 pallets 5 ft high of mexican blankets (go figure). A fist full of hog rings and few hours work was time well spent. It will suffice till I can do someting better. I did the package tray also. Next time the front seat! Here's a few before and after shots.

Attached Files:

• 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      102.8 KB
      Views:
    • 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      106.6 KB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      101.6 KB
      Views:
    • 007.JPG
      007.JPG
      File size:
      105 KB
      Views:
  2. Looks way better than my seat. I used army surplus duffle bags. Yours isn't so ghetto ;)

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Much better than the plaid. Nothing wrong with the new seats at all.

Don

4. kennkat

kennkat

Oh Heck Yes!! Looks Lo Buk Excellent!!!:):):)

5. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

If you think thats getto you need to see my 39 merc interior. They used plush buckets of a mid 80's GM something with the door panels from the same car cut up screwed over reg interior. It looks sweet!

6. Ain't nothin' wrong with the good ol' Mexican blanket interior. A timeless classic!

7. Hell, I've still got the original 47 wool in mine! Now that's ghetto!

8. barney rubble

barney rubble

Looks OK to me. Whats Stuckeys get for thier blankets?

9. Does Stuckey's have a sister restaurant--kinda like Carl's Jr. and Hardees? I don't think we have any Stuckey's around here.

I've been looking for some of these blankets and I can't find any in the Denver area..........E

10. Who needs Stuckey's when you're in Denver? You got Snooze! That was the most ridiculous breakfast I have ever had!

11. That's a huge improvement, now get busy on the front.

I'm not a fan of Mexican blankets but can't afford real upholstery either so I used a vintage U.S. Air Force wool blanket that Mrs. LowKat found at Goodwill.

12. tjmercury

tjmercury

Looks ok to me, not so ghetto. After reading the title, I figured you used cardboard or something! Lol

13. Try truck stops.

14. Exactly! It's a truck stop right up the road from me on the Connecticut/Rhode Island border. The last place I would have thought. There are 2 pallets 5ft high stacked with blankets. 7 bucks each!!

15. Moedog07

Moedog07

We have a huge truck stop here near Jackson State Prison that sells them. I bought enough to do my seats and door panels for my Model A last year. $5.99 each or buy 10 @ 4.99, I left with 10.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  16. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Looks good.
    I used Gorilla Tape on my black vinyl seats to get by until the funds are available for a real interior.

You gave me the idea of doing the Mexican blankets as an upgrade!

17. I've been pondering an EZ-Boy interior. I'm afraid the install is by me though.

18. Same as mine only barrio instead of ghetto

19. herbet99

herbet99
    from Central NJ

There was a thread on this or some other forum where the guy got a used leather couch and re-purposed the leather for his seat covers. Another frugal option.

20. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

21. I was quoted 2k for the interior design I came up with. Copper with white pleated inserts. Same for the door panels. I am very tempted to get a decedent sewing machine and try it myself. I've managed to teach myself (with help) everything else, welding,paint, electrical ect. So why not upholstery???

22. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I'm with you. I've seen a few threads over the past couple of years, with folks sewing their own fabric. It would be interesting to know what type of machine would be needed (industrial?). It might be another cool tool to have sitting around the shop for winter projects.

23. I've done some research on this. The two most important things is a walking foot and a reverse feature. I am good friends with a lady that own a company that makes upholstery and sail covers for boats, so scoring a decent machine shouldn't be to hard. I see them often on CL also. Todd

24. I have. I checked at the two T/As we have as well as the Flying J. Nobody had any..........E

25. Spanish Fly................................

26. A lot of the time I see ugly leather sofas and chairs out by the curb for the trash. I try to stop and cut a bunch of leather off to save for motorcycle seats. Sometimes, the odd colors (browns, reds, whites, etc.) work out pretty neat for some choppers.

27. Rob68

Rob68

I used a $4.00 black moving blanket from H/F. A couple of grommets and it looks pretty decent.

28. poorboy

poorboy

looks good not ghetto