Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures A Life In 1948...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

A Life In 1948...

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  2. Cool old footage.

3. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

And IN COLOR, very expensive at the time,
    A window back in time

4. 2935ford

2935ford

Just two words.......Damn Sam!!!!! :)

5. The simple life! :) People looked happy.:cool: Woman wore dresses, and I love the little white socks.;)
    Was that the same guy that was drinking the hard stuff with the trophy? :oops: Lots of smokers.
    Thanks for sharing.

6. Nobey

Nobey

Thanks for that Ryan. The car #88 of Bob Estes was a joint venture with Connie Weidel of dry lakes fame.
    They built the car in Inglewood Ca. That's Manny Ayulo at the wheel. Unfortunately the car didn't qualify
    in 1948, but this is some great footage. Bob was a good friend of mine, and I miss him dearly. I especially
    like seeing the marking, and branding in Texas. This is something my whole family would do on the ranch
    when I was a kid, a full day of hard work, then a big bar-b-que......

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  7. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Correction "l" nglewood Ca. We didn't live very far from BobEstes Lincoln Mercury dealership. It was an amazing time and you didn't know what type race car you may see there.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. Nobey

Nobey

Corrected it, thanks Jimmy six.....

10. Love this kinda stuff. That indy footage!!! I was digging on the 46/47 Cad towards the end.

11. Very cool! 8mm almost always in color gives a stunning glimpse of the past.

12. BJR

BJR

Loved the girl posed under the Dynamite sign. You would never see a sign like that today. Bet they were spraying the cattle with DDT back then. Very fun to watch.

13. Ebbspeed

Ebbspeed

Thank you for that. 15min well spent.

14. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I was born in '48, don't remember any of this.................................................

15. Very cool!
    Thanks for sharing with us.

16. Nobey

Nobey

I'am surprised no one has spotted the little 36 Ford 3 window coupe yet.....

17. I want a time machine ! HRP

Hotdoggin DaddyO likes this.
  18. butch27

butch27

WOW some great times in America..

19. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Thanks for posting, Ryan. I can barely remember 1948. I grew up in a small rural midwestern town and it all looks very familiar.

20. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

21. tractorguy

tractorguy

Wow......47/48 two-tone Chev......49 Caddy......lots of shiny DC3's......Indy roadsters......pretty girls......cowpunching......bib overalls (just like pictures of my dad in that era)......horses......quick lunch fixed on the back of a Chev pickup.......sure wish I could find the keys to my time travel machine !!

22. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

23. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

An exquisite display of a time, traditions, and a life long gone, but not forgotten by those of us who lived it.:):oops:

Mtn Goat likes this.
  24. I like the girl with a cigarette in one hand and a Coke in the other :).

25. jnaki

jnaki

Hey Ryan,

Outstanding shots on that movie reel find. Thanks for a throwback to those easy going times of family, farm, and just plain no nonsense, “Life of Riley.” From someone who had a similar 40s-50s upbringing, those memories were just of a simple way of our lives. They were nicely captured in the movie reels. It was not so hectic, as it was during our long span of 70 years of growing up and just trying to get along in this modern society.

But, one thing those old family reels needed was sound. It would have been fun listening to that nice looking woman in the reels explaining what was going on in the film. The sounds of the water, wrangling, and even that cool, old guy eating a sandwich and talking at the same time is priceless. It is endless fun from the past.

I have found similar old family movies taken from the early 50s into the drag racing scene up to 1964. Thanks for posting my early hot rod/drag racing films here on the HAMB. The family ones don’t have classic cars or hot rods in them, so, they were edited out.

Since that original posting, my edited drag racing and hot rod films have been randomly posted here and there. Those definitely bring back our own memories of a great time that had come and gone, what we used to do, and where we lived in the neighborhood.

In 1948, we had just moved to a Craftsman house near the Terminal Island Freeway. It was our first real house after 2 years of living in a small trailer. A shorter stone’s throw to the, not yet built, Lions Dragstrip area. (It came later in 1955)

Jnaki

Thank you for your valuable find and showcasing what it was like in another part of the country during this timeline of “Living in the USA.”

Mtn Goat likes this.
  26. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Great film. Thanks for sharing! happy times.

27. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fantastic! Also especially loved seeing the DC3's, Ma and Pa planting the garden, and the wrangling. He could not shoot enough footage of his pretty young bride, pretty cool stuff. And just think, the old folks were born in the 1870's and 1880's.

28. FastLivin

FastLivin

Thanks for posting. Eating lunch off the back of a chevy pickup and working cattle the old way. Great to see

29. PICHER-TAKR

PICHER-TAKR
    from N.CA

30. BLAKE

BLAKE

Stelllar find... so cool.