Register now to get rid of these ads!

History A Letter From Hell

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Ryan, is the JJ story the only reason you got the letter, or is there more of a connection?

2. johnnyboy76

johnnyboy76
    from Sparta, WI

I lived about 1,000 feet from the gates to his community and remember walking to the bus stop that morning and seeing all the L.A. County Sheriffs cars everywhere. Found out when I got home what had happened. I was super bummed. I thought that guy had lived the dream. Gotten to race in everything with wheels and done well at it. He had done all the things I wanted to do.

3. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

It was truly a very sad day when that happened ! Good people shouldn't have be taken away like that . His name and what he stood for will live on forever as it still is today !
    As for the letter , I would leave it just the way it is .

Retro Jim

4. Ryan,
    You aptly named this thread. That letter is from a hell-bound source. If it were me, I'd BURN it (like in hell) and never share it. Like a rape victim, don't let it rent space in your mind. If you don't share it and it doesn't exist anymore you've denied him space.
    Chuck

5. Tim Jones

Tim Jones

Wow heavy morning for all. Some really interesting responses. Thanks for sharing, you'll make the right decision.

6. LXbuilder

LXbuilder

I've lurked here a long time and never post, but I too remember Mickey and the awful day he and his wife Trudy were murdered.
    Burn the letter and don't let that scum that sent it take up even a moment of your life.

7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I know Micheal G was convicted of hiring the hit men, but did they ever determine who the two guys were who actually did the shooting ?

Don

8. chevyburb

chevyburb

I got out of racing in the late 50's and back into cars in the late 90's so this did not have a big impact on me, but I think wingspread7 is right on about the letter.

9. Fenders

Fenders

The letter is what it is, you don't destroy it because you don't like the person, or because the person is despicable...

We didn't destroy everything that Hitler or Charles Manson laid his hand on -- what they did, wrote or said is who they are, and it may benefit us to know who they are so we will recognise others of the same ilk in the future.

If you don't want the letter send it to the prosecutor in the case, or to one of the authors of one of the books or articles on the incident.

For better or worse, it is a little piece of history. Those who don't remember, or will ignore, or destroy the past cannot learn from it.

10. dmikulec

dmikulec

Wanted to refamiliarize myself with the case and hit Wikipedia, only to find that Michael Goodwin's entry there (linked from Mickey Thompson's page) had been deleted, for some cryptic reason.

As for the letter, I'd burn it.

11. bamaheel

bamaheel

In doing 30 minutes of research on this guy he has a website where he actively is soliciting donations and getting out his "message" of innocence.

Due to his megalomania he likely googles himself and saw Ryan's earlier piece.

I think his goal is to get his message to as many people as possible seeking their attention and sympathy.

12. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

Jesus that is heavy. Like Marty Mcfly heavy... kinda creepy in a way.

13. 51 Hemi J

51 Hemi J

Being a Pontiac Guy, I have been forever a fan of Mickey Thompson and his accomplishments. That CBS Coverage was chilling as would recieving the letter you recieved would be. I'm glad they finally put that Crook/Murderer behind bars.

I look forward to what you write about this.

RIP Mickey and Trudy Thompson

14. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

""Personally, I would wipe my ass with it and mail it back to him. No one else on this planet had a motive but him to kill Mickey Thompson and his wife. End of story""

X2

15. KaiserM715

KaiserM715

I agree. Publishing it would not bring anything beneficial. Ryan, good luck with deciding how / when to write about it.

16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeeow...that must be creeping you out. A scenario with way too much money, drugs, power, etc. for a regular working guy...just too much. I don't agree with burning or keeping the letter. It may be a form of evidence. It may be unlawful for you not to share it with authorities...immediately. I believe your only responsibility is to hand it off to someone who's responsibility it is...probably police. Do this, and you can rest easy, knowing you've divorced yourself from this convoluted, high-stakes bs. You can then forget it and go on with your own relatively peaceful, happy life.

17. Some are saying its a small piece of history"keep it". But so is Hitlers used toilet paper! Historical or not, GARBAGE is GARBAGE! Burn it and dont let this creep rent space in your head.

18. Ryan,
    WOW! Now that is a HEAVY LOAD dude. But I am sure you will do the right thing in the long run.

19. return to sender....

he must have known the number of people that you could possibly have any influence with.... he is out a a few paragraphs on paper that could effect his life positive or negative it is a reaction to it that is being sought ..

just this post is prolly volumes of notice in his world ..

good luck

20. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Pretty pathetic that these dirtbags have access to the internet,they shouldnt be able to be any part of life outside the walls,that said, im sure everything in that letter could be told to his lawyer .shitcan it Ryan and forget it.

21. sololobo

sololobo

Micky was a hero of mine, I saw him drag race the dual engine Toronado in California and thought I had gone to heaven. He was very approachable in the pits and seemed to be a gentleman at its best. Greed and ugly thinking behind those untimely deaths, still makes me feel sick. ~sololobo~

22. You got a penpal, send him some soap on a rope and forgettaboutit.

I am going home and look at those pistons that came from Mickeys place after he was murdered. They are just old NOS pistons but they MEAN SOMETHING to ME.

23. I remember very well when I heard of the murders. It hit me very hard as I not only knew Mickey, Trudy and Danny, but I was part off a team running a truck in the Mickey Thompson Stadium Series, and also worked for a guy who raced one of the factory Toyota's in that series. I had met Mike Goodwin, as he had talked to me about building a Rally Car for him. I didn't like the vibe i got from him and turned it down.
    When this happened my first thought was Goodwin. I don't really know why, it just popped in my head at the time.
    The letter doesn't really have any historical significance since it is just the ramblings of a convicted felon - the case is closed with no possibility or parole or appeal. It could be an interesting footnote to those who want to study the case and the results of the trial. Other than that, it it really insignificant to anyone but Goodwin. Don't let it weigh heavy on you Ryan, as he only sent it to you as the ravings of a convicted man. Personally I don't see why people like this have internet privileges to begin with. Convicted murderers are lucky to get 3 meals and a bed as far as I'm concerned.

24. Maybe you should try and contact the Thompson family attorney and let him deal with the letter as he sees fit.

25. What you hear in all prisons:

1) "I didn't do it."

or

2) "Yeah, I did it, but it wasn't my fault."

What a continuing tragedy for the Thompson family. God be with them.

26. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Being that the case was solved and the guilty party sent to prison, I'd keep the letter, but not make a big deal over it. In most prisons, prisoners have some computer access. This guy probably sent a letter to every hit he got related to cars.

If I had it, it would be a "hey, check this out" type of keep sake and nothing more.

27. 68vette

68vette

The pistons in my vette are Mickey Thompson pistons...he was the only one producing 60 over with 11 to 1 compression at the time of my re-build....he had put a little note in the box...your new compression is now 11.15 to 1.

28. Ryan, i wish you the best in dealing with this situation you have been put in,
    one that has so much gravity.
    I am sure you will be able to process it,with time.

29. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Mickey Thompson was one of the bigger-than-life personalities (like Don Garlits, A.J. Foyt, Richard Petty, etc.) found in the motorsports world and he was someone that I greatly admired. It was truely a shock to hear the news of the murder of Mickey and his wife. The legal system took a long time to complete its due process, but justice was served and Michael Goodwin will spend the rest of his miserable life in prison.

Michael Goodwin has lied so often and for so long about his involvement in the Thompson murders, he may have started to believe the narrative that he created. There is nothing to gained by giving this scumbag any exposure or publicity for whatever scheme he has concocted while serving his sentence. My suggestion is to drop his cock-and-bull story into the nearest paper shredder, then hit the hand sanitizer hard.

Let's think of the accomplishments of Mickey and the Thompson family, not the weasel that destroyed it.

30. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

I was going to ask why he would send a letter to ryan. Why the hell do inmates have internet access? Prison is suppost to be a punishment.