Register now to get rid of these ads!

a laced flamejob,, haven't seen one!?!?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by the DutchDude, Mar 18, 2010.

1. the DutchDude

the DutchDude

anyone ever seen lace in flames?
    i've never seen it,, ( well not very good ones that is)
    cause i'm thinkin of ghost flames with a lace pattern,,
    think it would look nice?
    let's say ,i have a satin black car,, tape of some flames,, and after that put some lace over it,, and spray a small coat of color over it,, and finally outline the flames,, but with a faded lace edge,,
    make sense?? haha
    cheers perry

2. mac762

mac762

Man, I really want to see some good examples of old school traditional tribal ghost flames. :) Just pulling your pud of course.
    I think lace is best kept to panel type paint jobs, and I really dig em.
    Anything you try, I'd try it on something other than a car first to see if you like it.

3. inkmunky

inkmunky

The problem is it'll be too busy on the eyes. That's why most lace is kept to panels, it's simple (and large) enough to actually see the lace. But who knows do a test panel see how it comes out.

4. I like both styles, but I think they would clash if used together. Lace is "fancy" and flames are "strong".

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I never saw lace flames and don't think I want to. That comes under the "just because you can" listing of things that might not be right in the end result.

In the late 60's when lace paint was hot, most of what I saw that looked great was when it was done in moderation in panels in the paint job. Accent to the design but not overpowering the design.

Can't help any on the flames but examples of the late Bob Hill's (Yakima, Wa) flame jobs would show how it was done right.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  6. MIGHTY

MIGHTY

Ok so what you need to do it mask your flames. Lay the lace over the flames and airbrush silver or gold pearl around edges of the flames lightly. If you like you could hit the center c sections of the flames too. Candy over the flames and stripe edges.
    If you use pearls lightly the lace will apear hologramic (is that even a word) anyway your lace will pop at different angles and apear to be ghostlike.

7. there is often a reason for not ever seeing something...I'm sure it was done at least once and then quickly re-painted. too busy...would look like a bad pair of paisley socks

8. sota

sota

Hope I never do!!!:eek:

9. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I've thought of trying out myself....maybe a flake base, mask out the flames, then lay the lace...the lace either needs to be VERY subtle, or very BOLD...otherwise it may just look to busy and confused.....

The only example I have seen....

10. RichG

RichG

Maybe instead of filling the flames completely with a lace pattern you might try just edges of the flame, fading them to the center... like the lace is the red fading to a yellow center of the flames... just a thought:D

Fully laced flames? That might be a bit much.

11. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I was thinkin' the opposite.....fog yer lace on...then pull the lace and go over the edges with more candy, or whatever ya used to spray the lace, so yer flames have a crisp edge (no lace) and "blend" into the center lace....

12. Ghost flames have come and gone, you missed the fad it peaked a few years ago, seriously.

13. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I'm sorry but that looks like a 50's monster squid movie. Lippy:D

14. the DutchDude

the DutchDude

i'm still tryin it on a panel,, that way we can all see if it's a keeper or not,,
    i definitly wanna flame my car,, but i wanna do something different than just a colour and outline,, so this thought came in my head,, i can't really picture it,, so that's why i asked,,
    but i'll give it a go at a panel,,

15. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

always remember there is a fine line between "Awsome and awfull" Sometimes ya just gotts go for it and see. grab some POS and try it. i always recommend a junk hood-fender-door. If you like it afterwards, go fo it bro.

16. CyaNide

CyaNide
    from Texas

Agreed. See how it looks on anything before you take the time to do the car. You may have to do it several times before you find something that you like.

CN

17. zzford

zzford

Lace paint makes me hurl.

18. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

just as your coilovers do for me

19. 2-TONED

2-TONED

do it. that 60s-70s wild stuff is where its at! that boring painted skinny wheels, flat black, flat colors, no chrome, rust, etc... is gettin real old & kinda boring!

20. I Drag

I Drag

The problem with this idea is that the two design elements really fight each other. Flames cause the viewers eye to curve and flow with the design. Lace is actually a rigid pattern. Lace flames will look like you cut out a flame pattern from some wallpaper and stuck it on the car. See the t-bucket above.

21. Nick79

Nick79
    from Austin, TX

Pulled some images off the web and messed around on photoshop.....like so?....I kinda like it. Call me strange....

[​IMG]

22. 60-early 70's lace paint schemes are cool, but ghost flames are very 2002.

23. the DutchDude

the DutchDude

who cares if it's 2002??? we ain't runnin a fashion show,, it's my car and i have to like it,, some people don't even like flames,, so there's always gonna be haters,,,
    i dig the example,, but we'll see,,

24. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

lace is for lingerie

25. Nick79

Nick79
    from Austin, TX

Zoomies are for rat rods

26. inkmunky

inkmunky

Not nearly as much as the fake quickchange