Register now to get rid of these ads!

A job offer, what would you do?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hackman, Jul 11, 2013.

1. This also has crossed my mind. The owner of my current place has become very tough to talk to about the situation. It would be a shame to see it go. You guys would shit if you saw this place and its tooling.

Thanks guys

2. Jeff J

Jeff J

I would go work for them part time like on saturdays and see how they are ! I had a Hot rod shop and a retail store for 30 years with employees ! Sold it in 2006 , Now I have my hobby back and its fun !

3. clockwork31

clockwork31

yep! Buy the machine shop and make an alliance with the hot rod shop. that's it, go, do it! :D

On a more serious note, if the machine shop is not for sale and your future there is uncertain, make the move and try the hot rod shop but go make the interview first maybe you'll run the opposite way after this interview, we never no.

4. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I'll tell my story. I started out as a commercial artist working at a print shop. Every Xmas, everyone was laid off for 2 weeks. However, my first year, they laid everyone off except me. I was low man on the totem but they didn't want me to find another job, so they paid me under the table. A year later, a competitor hired me for more money. Even though I made great money, after 10 years, I realized that the only retirement I had was social security.

I changed professions and got a government job with a government pension. It was the best move I ever made. 28 years and I retired. I not only get free medical for the rest of my life, I bring home more money now than when I was working. I haven't started to draw S.S. since I don't really need it.

5. Well thats what I will do. Just see what they have to say. It cant hurt. I am the easiest going guy on the planet and make friends easily. So maybe it will be a slam dunk. Or not haha. I will report back after the interview. Wish me luck,

Thanks Guys,

Hack

6. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

i went to your profile and checked out your T, nice and tidy. if it's a reflection of the type of work you do, you'll be fine. just go there with the mindset that this is your livelyhood, your bread and butter, weed out the assholes and just do your job. your young, there are going to be alot of oppurtunities in your lifetime, don't let them pass you by. good luck.

7. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I don't think you sound like a dick..... if you're good, you're good. But remember 2 things (true no matter where you are, and not to sound like a dick either). You're a big fish in a small pond, and there's ALWAYS someone better. They may not be in Butte NOW, but that's not to say someone wouldn't like to get away from the big city and slow their life down a little.

8. You are totally correct. Im not the best but I wont say im a slouch. I appreciate all the advice and thoughts.

If anyone wants to see more of what I actually can do for a better idea of what I would be doing, check out my build thread. 300 days to build a model a.

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup. This is VERY true. I am currently out of work, and seriously considering working in another field.

10. All the questions have been ask,all the replys are pretty spot on,the ball is in your court.

Good luck with whatever you decide. HRP

11. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

12. Thanks a lot guys. Its nice to have a place to go for advice from people who have been there.

Doctor Detroit, thanks for the link.

I will let evryone know how it goes.

Hack

13. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Good luck, man....my 2c....take the job. I think you've already read the writing on the wall, you're just a little hesitant to jump on it because its change perhaps? I'm the same way. You have to take care of yourself first and foremost, unless its church or grandma, know what I mean?

14. Ddooce

Ddooce
    from Memphis Tn

Having read all the pros and cons, there is just one question to ask yourself.

If I don't make the move, down the road, will I ask myself I wonder what would have happened if I had gone to work at the Rod Shop?

If the answer is yes - make the move. THIS LIFE IS THE REAL THING - Not a rehearsal!

Best of luck whichever path you take.

15. jazz1

jazz1

That's a novel way of changing jobs. I have always gotten fired and then moved on to a better job. Fact is your time at your current job is limited, if there is not a buyer to take over the business. I'd jump on the new job and not be concerned about the odd asshole employee at the new place,,they are everywhere, just like idiots they will never be on the endangered species list. GOOD LUCK!

16. hotrodarchaeologist

hotrodarchaeologist
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Maine

What he said!

17. 50 customcoupe

50 customcoupe

Just a thought, what about taking a two week vacation from your job, while on vacation work for the other company on a trial basic, if you don't like the new job, go back to your old job, if you like the new job, go back after vacation and give your two week notice. I did this once, didn't like the new job, so I went back to the old job happy. Good luck, keep us posted. Ray...

18. being a former Montana resident(I still use my Montana drivers license)one thing I always said to myself. SELF:doing the work you do or are going to do is it year round will the weather slow down the work. Even in my street rod shop I had in Missoula in the winter I got slow cause guys didn't want to trailer their cars through the crap to get to my shop. I had to start a online store just to put food on the table through the winter. Now I am in a trade that requires nice weather or I don't work, hence the move to CA. Montana is for Badassess!! wish I was there.

19. If ya like what you do now, like the facility, the bosses and co-workers, and earn a decent living Don't leave. Also a good idea to contact the guy you're replacing for his opinions.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  20. Thanks for the imput once again guys. I'm headed there now. I'll feel em out and fill ya in.

Hack

21. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whenever I think of making a change I think of my rule of thirds. There is roughly a 33% chance that the change will end up being for the better, a 33% chance things will stay the same and a 33% chance that things will be worse. A 66% chance that things will be the same or get better are pretty good odds. But then the job I had before my current job turned out being in the 33% "its worse" category and I had 8 long years in Hell. Do your homework before the change to increase the odds that it will be for the better.

22. If you move to the new job and build a positive reputation, then you will have banked a reference for whatever your next move will be. Sounds like the age and health issues of your current employer signal dead end ahead there. Buying the machine shop without doing a lot of groundwork and getting a businesss plan together is the biggest gamble. Not saying its impossible, but planning carefully would be a greater benefit, especially when you are about to make some other major life changes, like marriage, kids perhaps? Life is getting more complicated, just like it always does. Can't wait to hear what you've decided.

23. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

I'd rather work for a good boss and environment than be around drama queens. Unless you're unhappy where you are now keep the good thing you already have. Hot Rod shops come and go, machine shops stay around forever.

24. nimrodracing50

nimrodracing50

Shoots, go for it. You can always find something else if you don't like it. A change may do you some good. A new scene might make you a happier person.
    Al

25. groundpounder

groundpounder
    Member Emeritus

What's the result!!??...back to the top!...I'm going thru something similar......it's hard to make the leap....but sometimes you win, sometimes you loose...it's life.

26. if YOU HAVE BENEFITS......
    I would assess that angle well and really think before getting in the hot rod game.
    If your current employer is stable ,better stay there....Resturants are the most common businesses to fold, hotrod shops aren't far behind.

Look at it from a reality standpoint......
    On the list of things customers need,where is the hotrod?sure there are a few loaded customers but by and large we cater to average americans,and there is a priorty of where the family budget is spent and usually the car is pretty low on that list.

Machine work is more mainstream and more diverse so it should weather the downturns in the economy better than a "luxury" item =like fixing our cars will......

27. You are totally right.

So they told me that I could pretty much name my price, so I did. 5 dollars an hour more. They didnt even flinch. They have 80 20 insurance and a profit share/retirement program that comes from the oil money.

They are really chill guys outwardly anyway. The body shop guys were where I saw the problem. There was a 35 Ford PU in there with some pretty sad body work going on and it kind of sounded like it was gonna be my baby to "fix" it right. They obviously are not fab guys that is obvious.

But all in all it went well. they have lots of work and mor on the way.

I concluded that if I were able to get more out of my current employer, I would stay. If not, I may have to move on.

28. Jerry Rice

Jerry Rice

If you're interested in opening your own hot rod shop one day, I'd take it. If it's just another, albeit better paying job, I'd look around first. I'm sure this hot rod shop isn't the only one who thinks you've got a lot to offer.

29. Fenders

Fenders

I don't understand....
    You are a machinist.
    Their chassis and engine guy is leaving, who you would replace.
    But they want you to do bodywork?
    If you are a first class body man, go for it.