Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical A.I.U Hemi parts Orange CA history

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by milwscruffy, Jul 20, 2022.

1. Hey, picked up a tunnel ram for a 392 Hemi yesterday produced by A.I.U. and found very little on their history or production runs. Was told there could be fewer than 100 of these produced, that they also made cast aluminum oil pans and water cross-overs for Hemi's. Anybody have any history on them, when they were in business and why they disappeared? Just trying to educate myself about them, thanks. IMG_0411.JPG IMG_0412.JPG

robbins, slayer, j hansen and 6 others like this.
  2. Bump for the afternoon crowd, anyone ?

3. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I saw you snag that on Facebook! I'd have bought it in a heartbeat, but didn't see it until evening and it was marked sold. I have wondered how it would do compared to my 8 carb set up and compared to the HotHeads "tunnel ram". I'm going to be doing some dyno testing soon On my Drag Week 468" 392. Plans are to test the edelbrock X3 8 carb, the Arias 8 carb, and the Hot Heads tunnel ram. I'll ad your intake to the test as well if you are willing.

slayer, 51 mercules, j hansen and 2 others like this.
  4. Hey, you are only a state away, let me know when and where. It could prove interesting for sure.

Hemi Joel likes this.

5. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Sounds like a plan! Hopefully within the next 45 days. I'll PM you when I have a better idea on schedule.

milwscruffy likes this.
  6. MAW

MAW

I have the same manifold for one of my 331's, but it was cast and sold by PAW (Performance Automotive Wholesale). There was one for sale here in the classifieds a year or so ago.

Hemi Joel and milwscruffy like this.
  7. When I saw it I thought of PAW,,,,,,wondered if they were behind the casting ?
    It looks really good,,,and I’m sure it works well,,,,,,at least for a race mill .
    Great score !

I miss PAW,,,,they sold a lot of parts back in the day .

Tommy

Budget36 and milwscruffy like this.
  8. The runners are pretty short, so I think it'll behave pretty well on the street.

9. Budget36

Budget36

I miss them too! Didn’t buy much from them, but loved the prices they had, finally tossed the catalog out a few years back when I realized they weren’t returning.

milwscruffy likes this.
  10. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I(Think) the gentleman who runs Hot Heads(Bob Walker) was the original owner of that company(Or involved)..I remember a million years back, I was at an event in P.A. and had a lime green flyer with all their products.Kept it pinned on the shop wall forever.
    I believe there was a 3x2 plate that was offered on that intake and a 4 barrel one as well(all interchangeable)
    R&C ran an article on them as well...... what issue.... heavens knows.

57 Fargo and milwscruffy like this.
  11. Thanks, the plot thickens... My engine builder said he thought they were only in business a few years and all the molds and tooling disappeared. If Mr. Walker was involved, you would think these would be a good seller now, maybe legal crap got in the way of that though.

12. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I would reach out to Bob.. he has always been pleasant and very helpful...... If I was wrong about his involvement..I think he would definitely know the history.
    I do remember as well..... they did have other parts as well....

13. AIU advertised in the back of R&C magazine, back around 2000-ish or so. They sold assembled early Hemi longblocks at pretty reasonable prices.

R&C also featured a neon fuschia '37 or '38 Chevy coupe around the same time (coincidence?:rolleyes:), powered by an early Hemi with one of their tunnel rams on top.

Amazing the stuff I do remember, then forget what my wife said 5 minutes ago.:oops:

14. Man I bought a ton of stuff from them back in the mid 80s,,,,,,they carried an extensive line of parts .
    They carried a lot of Mopar stuff,,,with good pricing,,,,,it helped me a lot .
    Back then most guys here were really into Summit,,,,,and Jegs was just beginning to get a big reputation here too .
    It didn’t matter,,,,,I usually spent my money with PAW,,,,,almost all the time.
    Milodon,,,,Weiand,,,Richmond,,,and other brands,,,,,a lot of money spent and always quality parts,,,service,,and delivery.
    Great memories !

Tommy

15. Dad and I have the PAW version on his 392 street strip dodge. Its not a bad piece on the street or track. The Automotive Innovation Unlimited version was out in the nineties, and from what I'm told was sold to PAW later. I looked for this intake for at least five years before finding one. 12279.jpg

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
  16. I just rememdered seeing one of these intakes sitting side by side with a Hot Heads dual quad intake for sale the Fallout Drags 3 years ago. The runners on the hot heads intake looked much larger then the AIU/PAW intake. I would guess the Hot heads intake has better flow potential, but the AIU intake looks much nicer to my eyes.

milwscruffy likes this.
  17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man I sure do miss PAW.