Register now to get rid of these ads!

History A how to guide for getting parts.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gasser_Dave, Feb 28, 2022.

1. Gasser_Dave

Gasser_Dave
    from St. Louis

A thought occurred to me after reading the thread below.

Todays messed up takes on how hot rods were in the 1950s n 60s

Let's help the new guys!
    I did a search and could not find anything and since there is so much experience on these boards, why not share your best tips and tricks to get farmers, hoarders and anyone else on their property to look for parts. What did you say, how did you approach it and best of all, did they pull a gun on you and how did you get out of that. I would love to hear some tips as I never ventured onto someone's property with the intent of searching for parts.

Moderators- I was not sure what topic to put this under. Change if wrong please.

2. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Bring a case of beer, a bottle of Jack, and maybe some special brownies... Just saying!

3. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Well just poked my nose in a new Speedway catalog and discovered that Bear Claw door latches are now called Bear Jaw. WTF.

mad mikey, 2OLD2FAST and Kiwi 4d like this.
  4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That may be a trademark thing.

dana barlow likes this.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This has worked for me in the past.

A little recon tip: if they have recycling pickup, see what cans and bottles are in there, and go buy more of that.

Taste-matching starts you on the path to trust.

Also, don't go looking for parts. Tell them what you are building, and ask for advice. That lets them know that you are not looking to "score stuff" but to learn something. You can lament your inability to find stuff later on.

dana barlow likes this.
  6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Also, if they say no, or nobody answers, leave the beverages on the front porch or steps, with a note with your number.

Give them a reason to remember you.

7. BJR

BJR

I might have some parts or whole cars. If I post my address can you leave a case of good beer and a bottle of expensive bourbon at my front door?:D

8. You can thank the Hoffman assholes for that one. Yes, trademark.

hidez57, Ned Ludd and seb fontana like this.
  9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Anyone but them!

Ned Ludd, BJR and seb fontana like this.
  10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a case of Blanton's. Is that ok, or should I level-up?

hotrodjack33, Bandit Billy and BJR like this.
    • It is safe to say that here in South Dakota and the Midwest, that the owner has been asked a hundred times if they want to sell grampas old, "fill in the blank-------------------------". In many places you will be greeted by a mean dog, a shotgun or both. Best way I have had folks open up is to already have something on the trailer to get folks talking.

guthriesmith likes this.
  11. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

A friend of mine introduced me to an old time racer from the Valley, "Piggy" Al Dewey, very early 70's. I was starting to collect stuff for dirt cars, and he knew Al from their home town. He said bring a case of Ballantine's XXX ale Saturday am after 8 or so, and we'd go up to Al's farm. It worked a charm.

I got more parts that day than I knew I needed, and got to drink some of the ale with Al and the friend. Also had a blast (really!!!) as Al had built a basketball cannon. It used acetylene and would propel the basketballs about 100 yards. And Al's dog kept bringing them back.

I really don't know how I survived my teens, twenties, and the early thirties...

12. Gasser_Dave

Gasser_Dave
    from St. Louis

Keep them coming. Good stuff!

dana barlow likes this.
  13. Used to be an old grouch around these parts with a wrecking yard. Hoarding yard might be more accurate. Saw a city boy trying to buy something once and assured the old guy he had lots of money. Old geezer took offence at the insinuation, reached in his pocket and pulled out a whole handful of change and hurled it out into the yard. Told the city boy what he could do with his money. On the other hand, if you wanted to sit down and have some lousy coffee and maybe even play a game of checkers, you could buy anything.

mad mikey, NoSurf, 2OLD2FAST and 2 others like this.
  14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

True story.
    My old high school pal seemed to find what he needed parts wise most of the time when I always seemed to be on the losing end so I asked him one day why that was and he reached up and pulled a pair of old dirty bib over-alls off his shop wall, said you just gotta understand your audience.

15. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Here's a tip. Don't be an asshole. I have gone to someones house and never even brought up the fact of why I was there. And I'll be darned. He was a very cool guy and just like me he was a gearhead. Hell most of the time I forgot why I was there. :D He showed me his stamp collection, his beer can collection, plus everything he had. Introduced me to his whole family and said, come back anytime it was a pleasure meeting you. That's when I told him my hobby was cars. They say well before you run off come look at this old car I have. :D:cool: Bingo.

16. Dedsoto

Dedsoto
    from Australia
    1. Aussie HAMBers

Good old stuff is getting so hard to come by down here that I prefer to trade for what I need rather than sell. If someone wants/needs something I have, I'll tell them I'm looking for X parts if you can find them, cash if you can't.

Asking people what they're looking for is a good way of getting what you need, even if the favour's returned 6-18 months later

17. Reidy

Reidy

Another way is to ask using words as a human, not online. If you buy a part off someone ask them if they have another part that you need. Often the answer is no, sometimes yes and sometimes they say no but try old Bob Jones, he lives here. Bob may not have the part but if you go, have a chat as a human you may get the next lead.

Some of these old guys are more than happy to sell if they think the part is going to the right person. If you are genuine and tell them what you want it for, you might be the right person. If they think you just want their parts to make a profit or use on a project they don't like the part will not be able to be found.

Steve

18. And don't roll up to the place in your shiny new $65K pickup, then further the insult with a highbrow, low buck offer!

19. I mainly find cars and parts anymore without really looking. Seems the best deals have sort of fallen in my lap because I try to drive old junk every chance I get. By doing so, most know that I am into this stuff. My kids do even better because us old guys like to help young guys get started in this hobby. It’s not every day that you see a 17 year old driving a 59 Edsel or even a 75 vette daily. I can’t count all the free stuff or great deals that folks have given to my boys for their cars and pickup projects.

Oh yea, and I saw a craigslist ad the other day for a motor and transmission that I needed for my car. After talking to him, I asked if he had other stuff off the same car and ended up with all kinds of parts thrown in on the deal.

20. manyolcars

manyolcars

Thats the way it is with real Indian parts. Its hard to set a cash value on Indian parts from the 1920s and 30s but if you have a fender I want and I have a brake drum you need, everyones happy

alanp561 and lippy like this.
  21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Swap meets! Don't go too early. Take your time, wait for everyone to get their Bailey and coffees down. Count your cash in front of the stall. Big bills on top. I'll probably burn in hell but I have pretended I was deaf before and wrote down offers for stuff on a note pad I had on me. I'm not proud of that, but I did get some damn good deals. I've gone mostly deaf since then, karma's a real bitch! :cool:

BTW, I'll be at Portland Swap meet in April. Hope you stop by and bye something. Bring your note pad.

22. Gasser_Dave

Gasser_Dave
    from St. Louis

Man, these are awesome tips! I love it!

dana barlow likes this.
  23. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Bring pix of cars you have currently or have owned. Also of the project you're working on to show what parts you need. Don't come across as a flipper trying to turn a quick buck. Lots of old timers don't really need the $$$ but they will respond to someone who wants to finish a long term project.

dana barlow, Tow Truck Tom and 56don like this.
  24. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

4939F1CE-A5D0-445B-BAB8-52785DC6609F.jpeg While all that buying beer and bullshitting people may work on some folks, but not me! Tell what you are here for and show me some cash….the Benjamin types. Then I will show you some of my 75 vehicles I have collected for fifty five years. I have all the beer I need!

Bones

25. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

There's never enough beer! And where's the single malt?

Boneyard51 likes this.
  26. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's another trick. I use the USPS...United States Postal Service.

Make friends with your mail person and let them know you are into old cars...and ask them to "keep an eye out" for you. I have all three of my post office drivers looking for me;)

Mailmen/women (urban) and mail route drivers (rural) see EVERY address in the area everyday...including that day when a barn/garage door happens to be open:). And they are probably already aware of every old car/truck sitting outside.

Once I get a lead, I show up in my old car and say "I was talking to my friend XXX, your mailman, and he said you might have an old car/parts, etc..." Now you have established that you have a known person in common...and you are not just some complete stranger.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2022
    Just Gary, 40FORDPU and Boneyard51 like this.
  27. Pro tip:
    I’ve used this many times.
    Be nice and talk to folks at shows, display an interest in their ride. Strike up a conversation.
    Even cars you don’t care for. That LS swapped old ride? Well, the original parts are somewhere.
    Use social media. The govment know everything about you anyway.
    I bought a standard bore 283, vintage finned script edelbrock valve covers, power pack heads, late 60s aluminum intake, aluminum bell and 3spd trans.
    $100 from a LS swap.
    I guy overheard me at a show talking about needing a th400, guy offered me a guaranteed good one for $150. I have over 30k miles on it so far.
    Young guy in a “poser” hot rod with the rolled up jeans and greaser hair, had several cool pieces.

Being a super nice guy has benefits

28. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

BTW use cash. The old saying is still true: money talks, and bullshit walks!

Boneyard51 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  29. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I see an old car or something that suggests there might be treasure hidden in a shed, I drive there in my almost stone stock '37 Buick. I park in the driveway, pull out the fast idle speed knob on the dash, and add enough choke to make it run rough and belch some black smoke. Then I ask if they have a screwdriver I can borrow, pop the hood, pretend to adjust the carb and while I'm under there I pull the idle and choke cables back into their normal running position from under the hood. The old Straight Eight settles into a smooth almost noiseless idle, and we chat.