Register now to get rid of these ads!

History A hot rod book you've never read

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Comet, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Released earlier this year with little fanfare, despite heavy HAMB involvement, the book "Harrell Engines & Racing Equipment" is a must read for collectors of early lakes and drag racing history. I just read the book, this is my review.

I enjoy reading stories, especially stories about the early days of hot rodding. Even if the intent is to create a documentary, I prefer to read it like a story. It encaptures me more completely, and if the writer is good, it makes the story that much more compelling. This book is not polished, not a documentary, nor a story book, and therefore disappoints in it's approach. Too often I felt like I was reading clips from all the period magazines (maybe because I was). Having said, it is an important piece of the early lakes and drag racing tapestry and if you enjoy that genre as much as I do, you will enjoy this book.

Jim Harrell is not what I would call a household name in the world of racing, except to those who were there, or afficiandos like me of early hot rodding history. He was not a shameless self promoter-the antithesis of George Barris, if you will. But arguably no less important in his area of hot rodding focus. Jim's Auto Parts was one of the earliest speed shops, his reputation at the Lakes was that of a hard working and effective tinkerer that served him well up through his days with Willie Borsch and the Winged Express. The names he helped put on the map were very loyal to him and for good reason. His Harrell LA heads were (and still are) highly sought after. He was a true pioneer and the record books help cement his place in history, whether Jim wanted that or not. This book helps a broader audience understand the Harrel legacy.

I've read a lot of books, magazines, web blogs, etc. about the early lakes days and it's always interesting to me to find new material about stories I have heard about, but from a different person's perspective. Of course this is not an autobiographical piece, but was written by family members and a lot of help from friends. Understanding now a little more about Jim Harrell, I doubt he could have ever written an autobiography. I get the sense he would think no one cared. Well, there are a lot of people that do care and I thank Roger Harrell, Richard Harrell and Alec Harrell Carlson for sharing with us an important piece of the roots of hot rodding. Go find this book and enjoy it for the sake of Jim's place in hot rod history.

I would be short sighted if I didn't mention Nick Harrell here. It is not my intention to snub Nick. He, in many ways was the face of Jim's Speed Shop. This book discusses his part of history as well, but for all intents and purposes, it was Jim that made Harrell engines what they were. It was Nick working race day making sure customers were getting the most out of the Harrell engines that Jim built. I actually learned more about Nick than I did about Jim, but Jim's story is what interested me most-not to take anything away from Nick's contribution to Harrell engines or hot rodding history.

2. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.