Register now to get rid of these ads!

A HAMB Member is passing away....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by McGrath, Jan 24, 2006.

1. atch

atch

steve told me today that tommy will be carried in a '55 chevy pickup that belongs to a guy i've heard of but never met. i understand it's a real hot rod of the caliber that tommy would approve of. actually tommy told me a couple of years ago that it is what he wants to be carried in, and that if that fell through for some reason he requested i carry him in clarence. i'm really glad he's going in the '55. i'll have a hard enough time just being at the funeral without adding the worry that clarence might break down with him in it.

2. McGrath

McGrath

And Tommy would have found much humor in that situation...:D

His brother John called me a while ago and asked if I would mind being a Pallbearer. I told him I would consider it an Honor, so I guess I'll get a first hand look at that '55.

3. Cshabang

Cshabang

my prayers go out to him and his family..please pass the word

4. 00 MACK

00 MACK

For those that read this and didnt know this ruler,Just picturing that Henry coming out of the hole will be a good peice of inspiration when a doctor gives a bad diagnosis! This guy was a winner!

5. CANCER SUCKS.

Reverend Jake

6. demonspeed

demonspeed

Didnt know Tommy but its always sad to hear of a real hot rodder's passing. I'm Glad I got to share some of his knowledge on the Hamb...r.i.p.

7. 30roadster

30roadster

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm sorry to hear about his illness. My prayers to his family and friends.
    I thought you might like some pictures from the HAMB Drags in 2004. - Kyle

8. Muttley

Muttley

Man that car is cool, I hope it will continue to be used the way Tommy did.

9. Roothawg

Roothawg

You should print this and give it to his family, that way they will know how much impact he made on his community. A lot of people have passed away in this last year but this one really bothers me.

10. CHOPSHOP

CHOPSHOP
    from Malden,MA

Tommy- let there be a fleet of Henry Js for you to use on the other side.
    Check it out up there for us first man- you can give the tour when we get there.We need to know the best drag spot, car show and cruise night...We know you'kll be OK.

We will miss ya!

11. He will be missed by family and friends,,,,it is never easy to let a loved one go but Tommy is in a better place now,,,,Having never met Tommy I fell cheated by not hearing his storys first hand,,,,,To the McCray family,,I know things seem their darkest now and I too have experienced the loss of both my mom and dad within 4 month time period to cancer,,,,,,,,,It's hard to let them go and life seems to lose it's luster,,,pray,talk to each other,cry and by all means tell the storys that make you laugh,,,,As my mom use to say,,,,,," Sure it's a dark and stormy day,,,,and it just might be that way for a good while,,,,,but, I can assure you that the sun will return,,,might not be tomorrow or next week but it will shine again,,,I PROMISE". She was right,,,Rest in peace, Tommy,,,,Danny aka, HOTRODPRIMER

12. atch

atch

for those of you who don't know (and that could be lots of you), the J really does have a perfect yellow hood, but tommy wanted the scoop stickin' up last year so he cut a hole in another hood in order to not "ruin" the good one. see the pix of tommy and jerry on the line at mokan in '03...

Attached Files:

13. Assdragger

Assdragger

What a loss, I`m so floored that I`ve been walking around in a fog just trying to get my thoughts together.

Tommy was a class act!!

If you ate watermelon at the 1st HAMB drags, it`s because Tommy brought it.Tommy wasnt even registered at the time but he was a selfless man.

Tommy was always good for a smile,a joke or just friendly conversation.
    I dont know how many times I`ve talked to Tommy about rods while his wife Chris (god bless her) just stood and waited, we torchered that poor girl.

I`ve been out of the loop lately with the murder of my sister, a house addition and other of lifes little surprizes. I didnt realize that Tommy had takin a bad turn. I wish I would have went to see him and tell him how much we love him..... Tommy, you are missed buddy!

Your Friend- Tony Sessler

14. Tony, I forgot about the watermelon. Ironically, it was Jerry who brought the firewood in his HenryJ for the BBQ that year. Neither of them were on the HAMB yet but wanted to help out.

15. McChevy

McChevy

Robert- I am borrowing your password- I am Tammy, Tommy's daughter. We left the funeral home this morning after making the arrangements. I left there with a smile on my face because we go to watch the guy pinstripe his coffin. Yes, I said pinstripe the coffin. It was so cool. (Very tasteful, no flames) It is pinstriped all the way around. Across the front panel he painted the Henry J emblem, across the bottom lid he did a really neat embellishment, "Weekender" with a little halo.

I am 38 years old and have always said He would get rid of me before he would get rid of the Henry J. But I never thought I would have to do the same with him. I have held this altogether very well, until yesterday when my brother pulled up out front of the house and did a "McCray" burnout in the Henry J. That was all it took.

Anyway- A Huge Thank you to you all. Tammy McCray

16. McGrath

McGrath

Hey Tammy, were you able to get M.K. Johns to do it? Tommy had mentioned having M.K do it in a post he made here a while back. And what makes you think that flames would have been in bad taste...?;)

17. Whitey

Whitey
    from T-Town

My condolences, God be with the family.

Whitey

18. God's speed Tommy..........................

19. Offy

Offy

God bless you Tommy and your family and friends.

20. atch

atch

holy smokes!!!!!

i just got home from the visitation. i don't know how many people came through that line, but it was the most i've ever (and i mean EVER) seen at a funeral home. we waited in line for over an hour before we even got TO THE DOOR! there were pix of tommy's various rods he's had over the years all over the place. tommy's brother wrote a really cool letter to him that was framed and hung right over the "sign-in" book. and the henry j (you know he bought it in 1961, don't you) was parked in front along with several other hot rods. i bet there were 300 people in line in front of us and prolly that many behind us by the time we left. the family was celebrating tommy's being here and not boo-hooing like most folks would have. every one was in jeans except me (had nothing to do with tommy; it was what i was wearing when i left tulsa this afternoon to get back for tommy). i didn't have any time to change. it's also good that all the patrolmen already had people pulled over when i went by, otherwise i would have prolly gotten another high speed driving award. but i digress. if ever there was a person who's life is/will be celebrated it is tommy. i knew he was a friend to everyone he met, but i didn't know that he knew so many people. he really was the guy who never met a stranger.

well, anyway, for those of you who never got the chance to meet tommy it's too bad for you. i wish you all could have been here tonight; and i wish you could all be here tomorrow morning. i'm expecting quite a parade of hot rods stretching from the funeral home to the cemetery. that's about 15 miles and if everyone who was there tonight shows up tomorrow in a hot rod there will be enough to fill up the whole 15 miles.

21. Assdragger

Assdragger

Couldnt have said it better myself.
    The Hamb was well represented and held in high regard. Tommy`s family felt that the friends he made on the HAMB were a great thing.
    There was one large framed picture that was chalk full of quote`s printed from the HAMB.

I can only hope that I have half as many friends at my visitation.

We miss you Tommy.

22. hotrodglass

hotrodglass
    from Fulton, MO

I have known this guy since I was born, I been up and down the highway in or behind that henry J years ago. God bless Timmy, Missy, Tammy, and everyone else. Tommy will be missed!! There were more friends there tonight than most people have in a life time!! Kevin and David Family

23. MoRooster

MoRooster
    from Missouri

Well wow! I have been reading all this for the past few hours and I just want to say thank you to everyone. Coming up in a few days it will be two years from Tommy's death. Makes me think how many people from here I saw but did not know at the time I hope to meet all one day even if it is just over a little watermelon :)

24. Kustom64ford

Kustom64ford

I do not know the man, but our thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

25. prayers for a fallen brother,sad sad news

26. HOT ROD DAVE

HOT ROD DAVE

i wasnt part of this forum at the time but the more i read on on any subject the more i relize were a little family here and im glad that im part of it now, I was real close to my grandfather who i lost around the same time

sorry to hear bout your loss,but the memories live on and that on thing that never gets left behind, sounds like he was a real class act

27. We should all hope to live a life that positively impacts so many. Thoughts and prayers from Montana.

s.

28. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

29. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Jan 24...2006.

This is an old post brought back up...just so people won't think its current news.

30. redrico1

redrico1

may god bless him and his family,he will be in a better place.