Register now to get rid of these ads!

A good reason to get pissed!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olddrags, Apr 29, 2009.

1. NoFun

NoFun

Bobby, glad you called the police, I've been burned by a lady who want to settle and send a check. That is a sad picture, good thing your alright and the 37 is not too messed up.

2. olddrags

olddrags
    from ky

Thanks to everyone for the kind words and advise. I'm a little calmer today. Worse part of the whole deal, veh is black base/clearcoat with no breaklines anywhere on the quarters or roof. No biggie. I'm going to turn it in on my coverage and let the Ins co go after her!

3. I found this on a NJ website that promotes insurance:

"The mandatory penalties imposed for driving without insurance in New Jersey is greater than the first offender penalties for drunk driving or possession of marijuana. Mandatory penalties include automatic loss of license for one year, $300.00 fine and a period of community service to be determined by the Municipal Court. N.J.S.A. 39:6B-2 The no car insurance statute is one of the few strict liability statutes. "Every owner or registered owner of a motor vehicle registered or principally garaged in this state shall maintain motor vehicle coverage, under provisions approved by the Commissioner of Insurance." N.J.S.A. 39:6B-1 There are also court costs and insurance surcharges of $250.00 per year for three years. Failure to produce at the time of trial an insurance card or insurance policy covering the date of the offense creates a reputable presumption that the person was uninsured when charged with the offense."

And in NJ they will also impound the car on the spot and only proof of ins. will get it out of the impound yard after fines are paid. They don't do much right here in jersey but this is one issue they're on the ball with.

4. racer756

racer756

I like where your going with this......tradeout.

5. HotRodWillys

HotRodWillys
    from California

Thats one of my worst fears!!! I cant tell you how many times Ive had to jerk my steering wheel or slam on my brakes to avoid some tick turd from running into my car!!!! Anything like this is bad but by the looks of your little bender you can count yourself lucky that is wasnt worse.
    I feel for ya!!!:mad:

6. duste01

duste01

Your too kind to call her a lady. Unfortunatly I have seen too much of the inside of the justice building myself. I can tell you that what will happen is that she will go in and plea, then you will either settle or come back for a pre conference hearing to plea bargain, and she will end up paying your deductable...whatever it is and then your insurance will have to cover the rest unless you have some other way to make her pay your way. Good luck with it.

7. That's always a concern when driving our hot rods because "joe public" can't see our tail lights because they aren't as big as trash can lids! I have had major pucker factor many times when stopped in my 40 because some hammer head comes sliding up behind me, brakes locked up because they were not paying attention. Then they want to tell me my tail lights aren't bright enough! I tell them to put down the god dam phone and pay attention!! I have added a pair of ugly "tractor" lights under the car so it's more visable when I'm on the brakes. You can't really see them unless I'm on the brakes, but my buddies still give me ten pounds of shit about them!:eek:

8. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Am I missing something here? I fully support the fact she should be carrying insurance, but insurance really should be just that, insurance for when the worst happens. This looks like just a tiny fender bender at the most. Even though I have insurance, if I was in her shoes I would have preferred to just man up to my mistake and offer to cover your damages out of my pocket to avoid to keep the insurance comp. out of it as well and pay for the mistake. I realize she could have given you bogus info. and might have and then you would be left with nothing. I probably would have asked for definitive proof of her ID, phone number, credit card #'s, etc. and then tried to work it out with her.

I crashed on my bicycle once and the bike dented up a guys tailgate on his pretty new looking truck. The crash was the result of my own carelessness and fortunately I wasn't really hurt. I contacted the guy and paid him for a new tailgate - problem solved and decided I won't be making that mistake again - lesson learned and paid for.

I might be reading this wrong and again, she definitely should have had proper insurance regardless. But besides that, I see nothing wrong with trying to settle this kind of thing off the record. In fact, I think that is the way it should have been tried first and then go with the insurance if that isn't suitable or working out for some reason.

Frankly, I think people shouldn't really be using insurance to cover things they should be able to and should just cover out of pocket from the very beginning. I have high deductibles on all my insurance for that very reason. Small mistakes or accidents I cover myself and leave the insurance to cover big things.

Same thing for medical. If people would stop using med. insurance for every little thing, maybe a hell of a lot more people could afford to have it for at least the major stuff. Having insurance pay for going to the doctor to fix a hang nail is pretty ridiculous.

9. Hot Rod Bob

Hot Rod Bob
    from T-ville Ky

Sorry to hear about it,hope you can get it fixed quickly.

10. BISHOP

BISHOP

Here in Texas, The police can run your plates and tell if you are insured. Im not sure how this works, but I was on my motorcycle, got pulled over, didnt have my insurance card. The cop said ," Its alright, I dont need it, Ill know if you are covered when I run your tags".

I was surprised they could tell if you had insurance by running your tags. Of course I had ins. Anyway, the penalties for no insurance in Texas are pretty steep.

11. This happened to me once. 4 Iranian dudes in a mid size(terrorist, I'm sure) slammed into the back of my my 39 Ford coupe and did worse damage than that. They had insurance and I got to fix the damage myself with the insurance money and shave the decklid all at the same time. Worked out ok for me. I got lucky, but boy was I pissed.

12. Pitbullgoingpostal

Pitbullgoingpostal

Ten pounds of shit is better than three thousand pounds of scrap iron that used to be a nice forty!

13. GlenC

GlenC

I know they're not 'traditional' but NO WAY would I be going out on the street in a pile of vintage tin (or glass) without a head high third brake light. Put it on the back parcel tray inside the back window so it can't be seen from outside the car until you put your foot on the brakes and it lights up.

'Modern' drivers can't see brake lights low on the rear quarters of an 'old' car, expecially when they're blue dots or similar, so why risk your car, and possibly even your neck?

Cheers, Glen.

14. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

As a general rule " uninsured motorist and underinsured motorist" only offers coverage for Bodily Injury. You must have Collision or Comprehensive coverage to cover the damage to your vehicle.

B:DB

15. How about trying some sentence structure and punctuation!!! :mad:

16. ratdaddytattoo

ratdaddytattoo

Last summer I was driving my 65 stepside. I backed out of a parking spot at Wal-mart, stopped and put it in drive and started to pull away. This lady comes up along side my truck screaming that I had smashed into her.

I got out and looked at the damage. It mangled her fender on her Honda and there was a tiny little scrub mark on my bumper but the damage to her car looked worse than what I thought could have happened. I didn't even feel any impact! Well I was one of those people who didn't have insurance and I asked if we could settle on the side. I gave her my business card and asked her to get me 2 estimates. I knew I was going to get raped but cheaper than insurance in the long run (so I thought).

She showed up at my place 3 days later with the estimates. $2200- and $1700 she said she would accept the $1700. I told her I didn't have it all at once, but if she would stop by every friday I would pay her $600 a week, for 3 weeks. An extra $100 for time and trouble.
    She agreed.

The first weekend she said the car was in the shop and that she had to pay for a rental and thought that I should cover it. I humbly nodded and coughed up an extra $75.

The second weekend she showed up and was real bitchy saying she should have just called the cops. I pointed out that then she would have had to prove that I hit her in the first place. I also pointed out that it took place on private property not a public street so the most they could have done was wrote an incident report. I was starting to doubt if I had even hit her or not because thinking back on it, there was alot of damage. The estimate was for a fender, hood, door edge repair, strut, and a replacement rim. Plus paint and labor. And again with the $75 extra for rental and I asked when her car was supposed to be done and she said the next day.

The third weekend she comes by and I pay her my last $600. She asks for the $75 for rental and I asked why because her car was supposed to have been repaired by then. She claimed that there was hidden damage and that they had to put it on a frame machine and that it took a few extra days. I had her sign a receipt and gave her the extra bucks, glad to finally be done with this............ Then I get a phone call on the next monday. It's her. She has been seeing a chiropractor all this time and feels that I should pay for it. I hung up on her. This wasn't a collision it was a parking lot fenderbender.

Her boyfriend shows up and makes an ass of himself and I convince him that in the interests of his personal safety he would be better off leaving. ((I'm much bigger and meaner than he was))

So a few weeks pass and I get a letter from a lawyer claiming injuries and more repairs to the car. Lost wages for not being able to work yada yada.

I lose it! I get in my truck and go to this lawyers office. I still hadn't even touched the mark on my bumper. I show him my receipts from her. He walks out to the parking lot to look at the damage to my truck. He just stands there staring and looking puzzled. As I am explaining to him in very colorful language that this woman is a rip off artist and that I am being screwed guess who pulls around the corner......in a smashed up Honda Del sol?

She slowed down like she was going to pull in and saw me. She squealed tires leaving! Her attorney looked at me and said " I'm dropping this one."

Now I admit I should have had insurance and have carried it ever since. But this lady was scam artist from day one. I went to the Wal-mart but they claim they had no video of the day in question.
    I went to the police and they not only laughed in my face for settling out of court but asked to see proof of insurance! ( I had gotten it)

I see this chick every once in a while. I was recently at walmart and she was there and I thought......."I'm fully insured.....I could just wait for her to get out of the car and get a safe distance away and just relocate the rest of that car into another parking space."

GRRRR:mad:

17. olddrags

olddrags
    from ky

Okay , so I'm either a nice guy or an asshole!
    Facts, Ky law requires mandatory liab ins. not enforced unless your caught at a ck point or in an accident. This lady provided a valid proof of ins card. There a several ways to get one, write a bouncy ck at the agents office and get your card on the spot. Pay for 6 mo coverage get your card , call and cancel, get your refund and keep the ins card.This is used widely in order to get your car licensed ! I spoke w/a friend at the Co. Atty office. Here's how it will play out, she goes to court w/a current valid ins. card. Pleads guilty, judge fines 500.00 plus around 200.00 court cost, orders her to pay restitution. Guess who gets their money FIRST? Your right the court does!!! Mean while the judge sets up a pay arrangement that fits her income and I'm the finance company gettin paid 50 bucks a month! I agree the damage looks minor, 2 est for around 3k.

18. My '37 got rear-ended back a few years ago with the trunk lid being pushed in. It was repaired by a local rod shop, who, by the way, did a shitty job and had to re-do part of it. I never was able to find replacement Master Deluxe bumpers though. Had to get some aftermarket bumper replacements.

19. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

In Oklahoma 25% of all drivers are uninsured and right now they are trying to pass a law that if you get in an accident and don't have insurance and it's not your fault you won't get any money.
    It's not much but it's something

20. H3O

H3O

that sucks man. and here they say you need 5mph bumpers. doubt that would've held up like yours did. at least you're still able to drive your car. good luck with it.

21. 3Deuce40

3Deuce40
    from Colorado

If they are uninsured, your insurance company cannot go after her personally. That will be up to you. At least thats how it works here in Colorado.

22. Joatha

Joatha

A lot of states (Georgia included) have set up a database/reporting system where the insurance companies send a file of all the VIN numbers they have covered. And, then they update the databse as coverage is dropped or added. So, the cops can look your status up via the license plates. In Georgia, they will also pull your registration when the coverage is dropped and they are also not allowed you to get a license plate without coverage. If you buy a new car, you can go in with the insurance paperwork binder to get it registered and then the electronic info from the insurance company will follow with the next update. I don't know how well it works. But, that's how it is supposed to work.

23. h2omonkey

h2omonkey
    from vegas

After reading through this (and other threads like it) it amazes me that someone mentions that it's somehow the governments fault because of the lack of some regulation or law. Yet these same people will be the first to bitch about any new regulations or laws affecting their "freedoms".

What a few have alluded to here in a round about way, is that at the problem here is about personal responsibility, which I think is one of the biggest problems in our country today, no one wants to take any. So if some ahole bashes into your car while texting his bff, either he has ins. and it pays for your damage or he doesn't have any and pays for it himself. No amount of laws or regulations will make someone take responsability for there own actions, that's just human nature. Either your a decent person or your not.

Sorry your car got bashed, that really sucks

24. HD74

HD74

That really blow's man.

25. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Must be going around. Yesterday my wife pulled into a station for gas and some bitch in a 4 wheel pu started backin out and just kept coming. Nailed the front of her prestine Monte Carlo SS. Bitch got out of the truck and just laughed it off. 1500.00 damage later, her dam insurance company said that they don't pay parking lot crashs because my wife shouldn't have pulled up to the pumps with their client parked there. 250.00 deduct. High priced tank of gas.

26. 16 Dodge Bros

16 Dodge Bros
    from MO

Depends on what she looked like i guess!

27. Wicked50

Wicked50

You should of kicked her in the baby maker

28. Billet

Billet

It's always a drag to have your shit messed with. Good Luck

29. Zurekbrau

Zurekbrau

It is your fault insurance. If you get in an accident your rates go up. Does not matter who is at fault.

30. You could sue the bitch. When she finds herself in court facing a civil suit that could cost her the house and the dog before her lawyer gets his money, she will cough whatever it takes to get you off her back.