Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods A good Lil Coffin article.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Larry, Dec 20, 2019.

1. 34Larry

34Larry

I' m a lil coffin nut, believing it is the best of the best ever built. Somehow in all my searches and reading I missed this one, http://customrodder.forumactif.org/t2869-dave-stuckey-s-lil-coffin . It tells the real story, actually quoting Stucky word for word. I've seen most of the pictures there also, but not all they had in one article. I lived a couple of blocks away from Starbirds shop in those days, driving by morning and on the way home from the air base.
    After going through this article, I got to wondering if any of the so talented car modelers ever thought of modeling every one of the different configurations of the deuce sedan while on its way to becoming the Lil Coffin? (I really dislike very much that name for it.) :eek:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  2. 34Larry

34Larry

mmmmmmmmmmm Guess I'm the only one here that has that opinion of the Coffin. Sorry for bothere'n ya all.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

a true wild child

4. I’d like to think that it’s Dave Stuckeys master piece.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I remember the car and kit very well. And I haven't had the time to read all of your post. I probably had 2 or 3 kits and think it is one of the best ever in that era.

chryslerfan55 and mad mikey like this.
  6. Larry, I wouldn't say its the best of the best as I'm an Ala Kart fan BUT as I have a couple of Lil Coffin models on display at present and built one way back in the day I'll happily see as many pics of both the models and the real thing any time you want to post, I'll make it #2....lol......and BTW, that pic of the model is I'm pretty sure one of the original issues by Monogram as the body colour is the metallic crimson/ burgundy rather than later reissues which have a more purple coloured body..........the Monogram kits from back in the 60's were beautiful kits that with coloured body parts, white plastic and beautiful chrome were just perfect for us young kids getting into models and by definition real cars........bring on any and all Lil Coffin pics .....many thanks, Andy Douglas

chryslerfan55 and Lil32 like this.
  7. 1940Willys

1940Willys

Very cool fogging on The Undertaker also! You build that 34Larry? Mine is falling apart. I did a Li'l Coffin as a Kid also. Got a picture here somewhere? image (1).jpeg IMG_4606.JPG image (1).jpeg

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. 34Larry

34Larry

I'm knda with ya on the Ala Kart, its a toss up for me. If I was forced into deciding which is #1, I'd have to go coffin because of Barris being so big time and Dave not so much.

[​IMG]
    upload_2019-12-20_15-35-55.jpeg Really dig this shot, just to kool for words!
    [​IMG]
    Just so damned kooooooooooooooool!!

9. 34Larry

34Larry

No 40, I didn't build the model. I built one of the coffin a few years back and I just this week found one that is still sealed in the original box and wrapping out in my garage that prompted me to look her up again and read and see her once again. I also have the Danbury Mint die cast of the Ala Kart.

chryslerfan55 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  10. 34Larry

34Larry

Is this one the remake of the original or is it the original re worked by starbird? The lakes pipes are dofferent than what Stucky made on this one. Also the rear Stude pans look weird.

11. jailbar joe

jailbar joe

absolutely loved the coffin and ala kart.... would have to be the top hotrod show cars of all time...
    i built the coffin model but never did find ala kart to make....
    i recently finished building a chopped and chanelled jailbar truck and sort of copied the ala kart nose...
    having troubles with pic host so no pics at the moment

12. Going with the Coffin....as a kid in the model section....and as I got older and knowing what it took to get there - Coffin baby.....although we/my bro - built the Boot Hill Express when it came out and my buddies said - what !!! Also we built that early Garlits - see thru dragster - with the clear pan and belt because that soooo cool.

13. bchctybob

bchctybob

I've always been a fan of both of those Show Rods. There's just something about the Ala Cart that grabbed me and the Coffin had a slightly "meaner" look that us young'uns really liked. I have a Lil Coffin hero card stuck up on my shop wall along with a handful of other dream cars from my formative years.
    Rumor has it that there's a guy in the SF Bay area whose had a show rod under construction for a while, more pix along these lines just might help motivate him.....;)

14. The Lil Coffin and the UncertainT are the only two model cars I never blew up as a kid. That says it all for me.

Spooky likes this.
  15. Jailbarjoe.......if you ever find the AMT 1929 Ford Roadster kit it has nearly all the Ala Kart parts included as originally the AK kit had a 2nd model include which was the 29 Roadster......and Stillrunner....the Garlits Wynns Jammer was issued as the Hippy Hemi which has also been reissued quite a few times, it has all the Garlits kit parts, engine, chassis, wheels etc except the body panels....also worth checking out is Daves Show Rod Model Kits website......www.showrods.com ...........andyd

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Somewhere I think I have a photo I took that I at the time thought was that car at Tulsa at the street rod nationals in 73. It was just sitting in a row of cars kind of out back but I don't remember if it was at the fair grounds or at the drag strip on Sunday. I never heard of anyone building a clone so was sure hat was it.

17. jailbar joe

jailbar joe

thanks andyd but model cars are something i just don't have the time for anymore....still have a few unopened models that are untouched.....spend all my time on the real things

18. aircap

aircap

The Lil Coffin is a hot rod AND a custom, and as one of the first cars modeled for Hot Wheels back in the 60's makes it a very important influence on car lovers of my age. It's absolutely a Top 5 All Time Fave of any era or type of car for me.

chryslerfan55 and Spooky like this.
  19. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Couldn't agree more!

20. Shon Wittenbarger

Shon Wittenbarger
    from Georgia

I had posted some days back on an other topic about a story Elden Titus told me a about cutting the top off the Lil' Coffin.

21. 34Larry

34Larry

I have often had the same sentiments aircap.
    These are a couple of the versions I passed by while coming and going from my apt. to and from McConnell AFB morning and afternoon. Some times it was parked in the street and some times in the parking lot next to the RR tracks where Starbirds shop was located in that time. I also was able to get up close to it when Dave would enter it into the indoor shows down town.

[​IMG]
    Seen as a channeled deuce before the sectioning that came later and
    with the nerf bar and head lite combination.

[​IMG]
    Here it has the scallop job and the "Edesel" grill. I don't recall seeing it parked to much at Starbirds shop that much, just sometimes (sorry, 80 yo memory), but it was at the indoor shows Darrell sponsored in downtown Wichita.
    I left Wichita January 9th, 1962, never to see it again.

Getting back to which one deserves the #1 Spot. IMO having built my 34 myself, and now understanding the immense amount of work, design, and engineering is involved, (again IMO), the coffin has it all over the Kart (not putting the kart down in the least). I count myself very lucky to have witnessed the building as Dave progressed on the 32 and regret not stopping in just to meet the guy building.

I was driving a '51 Chev. more door slant back lowered by heating the springs, with a lumber truck ride, dark blue with gray primer spots and a split dual exaust, three on the tree, 216 c.i. six banger, red rims with slap on white walls and no hubcaps. That was as kool as I could be on Airman's pay. Was kind of embarrassed to pull up into the parking lot. :eek::eek::eek:!!!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  22. Mysterion is the greatest but 'Coffin is pretty nice too. Definitely the most controversial custom ever. Here is my version.
    coffin.jpg

23. 34Larry

34Larry

Controversial How so???? Because of Starbirds claim of building it?? Wouldn't be so IMO.
    No offence my friend but your Mysterion doesn't even move the needle on my scale. But to each his own.
    Roth was a big A-hole in my book. When I asked him to do my 66 factory dual quad Rivi GS asking him to do a shirt Rat Fink style of it saying, He said "I don't do no "F"'n Buicks. Made me look cheap and stupid in front of the crowd at his booth. I disliked him to his core after that. His cheap comment was inappropriate, rude and vulgar. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: !!!!!!!

24. Sorry about that.

25. 34Larry

34Larry

Hey jailbar, I have a die cast of the Kart made by Danbury mint I think it was. Detailed down to the seatbelts. Opening doors, removable hood and top, engine side panels, under side detailed out to the nines. Had it quite some time, its the top die cast of 17 others I have . If I recall correctly at the time I bought it the cost was right at $120.00, but bound to be more now if you could find one. E bay maybe or googling for one.

26. 34Larry

34Larry

In Fact there is one on ebay as I post this. Kinda steep though now. $239.00.

27. wvenfield

wvenfield

Clearly the inspiration for Hot Wheels, The Demon.

28. 34Larry

34Larry

Did not know about the Demon. Found them on line--$50.00. Gonna have to give that some serious consideration. What I saw will have to be modified by cutting out the A &B pillars and reworking the front and back ends to get it lower. Then paint it. [​IMG]