Register now to get rid of these ads!

a gentlemans agreement kinda!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mrconcdid, May 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Maybe I'm getting old but I gave a deposit of $5,ooo for a OT car that would be serviced and repainted before delivary the sellers said he needed 2 weeks to complete the job now I called him 10 days into the task and he hasn't even started yet and is telling me he will need more time and we would be lucky to get it by the end of the 3rd week. Its a commercial car and I understand holidays and weekends but what has happen to honesty in a deal. I have every right to ask for my deposit back and yes there's a written contract but it rubs me the wrong way to find out he hasn't even started on it yet. Any thoughts?
    MrC.

2. Mattilac

Mattilac

I wouldn't waste any more time with this guy. If he can't have the car done in the time you two agreed on (on paper no less), then he probably won't after the 3rd week, or 4th, or... But then again, just look at the dude and decide for yourself if he's tugging your chain. People can get behind sometimes, that's understandable.

3. F&J

F&J

my opinion, you are stuck. I'd bet the money is gone, so he can't refund.

Why put up 5k deposit in really BAD times? Maybe 500.

4. As a fellow Floridian and HAMBer, it saddens me to hear this friend. My advice is keep track of every correspondence, dates, times, etc. This is $5000, not $500, I pray you dont have to but this could require State Attorney help worst case scenario. Keep an eye on this guy and his shop, like Pool company's here in Florida, here one day, gone the next. Happened to my neighbor for $30,000, and now he has to fill the really big hole in the backyard too. Most of all, be vigilant and professional.

5. brad chevy

brad chevy

What exactly does the contract say anyway. Hope you haven"t put that much cash out and the fine print didn"t get read. Where in Fla are you and as. already asked Why would you lay that kinda cash down anyway?Is this deal with a certified licensed shop or not?

6. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The first hint you should have gotten was the $5K deposit, the second clue you were in trouble was the delay in starting, so it's time for a lawyer if he balks when you come for the car and the $5K...do it quick don't let him get started or he'll claim whatever he has done covers the $5K and you'll end up with a vehicle apart and scattered if you're not ready with truck and trailer when you come to get it!

7. It saddens me how a persons "word" used to mean something..but rarely does anymore. Good luck with this, I hope it work out for you.

8. badshifter

badshifter

I think you made a big mistake. Your ONLY goal should be getting your deposit back (if possible). Money up front is almost always an invitation to disaster. If it gets ugly, it could take years and twice the deposit money in attorneys, court costs, legal service etc. to get back your deposit. Good luck.

9. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I've had a lot of people try and give me money up front. I say, nope, when it's done you come get it and pay me. Lippy

10. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

you've just been taken by one of the oldest cons in the car business. Like has already been said don't waste any time getting your money back and/or the car. I'll bet the money has already been spent and it wasn't on your car.

Frank

11. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Wow That was fast, Well your all right in a manner of speaking the deal is with a licensed dealer and the reason for the 5 large was to paint it my companys color so I didn't think it was that out of line any half way decent paint job would cost that. As for the fine print there's plenty of that to go around. tomrrow morning we will come to some new terms. He is still with in his window so I can't bring up lawers and such till he is late. I had a feeling about this but wanted a second opinion HAMB approved of course.

12. mrconcdid, do you have a town you call home or are you a roving undertaker??????
    Contracts work both ways. If it states he will repaint and service it within the two weeks, he is in violation of the contract. You might want to talk to a lawyer (free consultation 1st hr) in whatever town you live in.

13. badshifter

badshifter

You're arguing both sides here. A licensed dealer can still be a bad guy. Might be an argument there that he is in a better position to give you the runaround as he knows the business. Plenty of fine print to go around? That goes both ways. 5 large for paint? You know how hard it is to deal with paint and you are having the seller do it for you? How will YOU come up with "new terms" if he is still in "his window"? Why would he agree to "new terms" if he has not met the "old terms"? You know a screwing is coming or you wouldn't have posted. This is not a HAMB topic at all, can't see why you need a HAMB approval. It's a drag, but YOU need to play hardball NOW.

14. Willy301

Willy301

Ufortunately, I think this makes you the exception unless the shop is associated with a car dealership, most independant body shops around here want a deposit as well.

15. brad chevy

brad chevy

What the hell did you even come on here and whine about it for in the first place?A contract is just that.Don"t know what kinda business you are in but I damn sure wouldn"t deal with you.

16. RichG

RichG

I buy stuff at the dollar store because of their dollar replacement policy. If for any reason your product is defective or fails, simply bring in another dollar and they'll get you a new one immediately... now that's good business!

17. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

I took delivery of my new coach over the weekend, I am very pleased with the out come of the deal, other than being later on delivery the dealer has made up for it in every other way.

I posted this because a had a bad feeling in my gut over a deal I had made, Im thankful to have been wrong.
    MrC

18. Weasel

Weasel

19. Joey7319

Joey7319

Glad it worked out for you. Just goes to show There are still good people out there. Delays happen.

20. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

All worked up and threats-o-lawyers.
    POPCORN! and a beer.
    Brad Chevy gets the nod.

21. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

OK OP you now have the right to feel like a real knob.

22. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Heck 15 days or so. I'm sure that's a hell of a lot faster than the state will take sending me my title. That was paid in advance too.:mad:

23. Thanks for posting. I for one am glad you shared your experience, and that it came out in your favor. I wonder how far we can trust those so quick to flame?

Doug.

24. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

I'm in need of your trust as much as I'm in need of listening to whining bitches complaining about stuff that happens everyday in the 'Real' world.

25. metalshapes

metalshapes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.