Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical A gear drive question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roger Sundfors, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Roger Sundfors

Roger Sundfors
    from Sweden

I wonder whats the difference between a noisy and a quiet gear drive? Except for the sound...

2. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Angle cut gears and clearance.

Bones

pitman likes this.
  3. Roger Sundfors

Roger Sundfors
    from Sweden

Thanx for your answer

4. Slopok

Slopok

If you go with noisy, I bet after a while you'll wish you didn't!

5. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a noisy on a V8 vega. Lasted a little over a month . VERY noisy

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. pitman

pitman

'Proper' clearance runs quiet & long.:D

7. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Any gear drive I've ever seen...ALL are straight cut teeth..!
    Angular cut teeth will load the cam in one direction or the other, a very bad thing..! NO such thing.

The "quieter" sets are hand picked for a better mesh between the three gears.

A good chain drive is a MUCH better drive choice, especially for a street driven engine. No (VERY little) noise, no crank to cam harmonics (vibration).

If you want the "best" drive method...a belt is the way to go.

Mike

chevy57dude likes this.
  8. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

The quiet ones are in a box on the shelf. The noisy ones are installed in engines.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

raven, crowerglide, '51 Norm and 4 others like this.
  9. 327Eric

327Eric

The amount of time it takes for you to hate the sound is slightly longer with a "quiet "gear drive

Hnstray likes this.
  10. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

When Roger asked his question, he did not specify it was a gear drive for the camshaft of a sbc.
    I was referring to any set of drive gears.
    The world does not revolve around the sbc.
    I rarely think of them at all, being a Ford man and all. Lol

Bones

cadillacoffin and mctim64 like this.
  11. Gman0046

Gman0046

Gear drives suck!

da34guy and Bandit Billy like this.
  12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Wait...not so fast! Millions of engines were built with gear driven camshafts..Chevy 6's probably being the most numerous in the US. And they have angle cut gears.....the cam gear has a thrust surface for that.

Now, I think most negative responses here are about gear drive conversions. That is a horse of another color. Years ago I was heavily into V6 Buick swaps into Jap pickups and the odd fire Buick V6 ate up cam chains faster than the average engine. I tried a gear drive conversion and found what everybody here is saying to be true..NOISY! It did sound like a blower drive though....but that soon lost it's appeal....and I returned to a chain drive...buying the best quality I could find (Cloyes ?) I think it was.

Ray

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

You DO NOT want the noisy one, take my word for it.
    After I bought mine (dumb shit), I did a little research, by my memory, found the noisy ones just didn't have a finish cut on the teeth during the machining process, seems it was like .005.
    Mine is a Pete Jackson by the way, not sure if anyone else offered the noisy version.

14. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Had a Pete Jackson gear drive in my 56 Bel Air in the 80s , What can I say? It was the in thing back then. After about a month or so every time I came to a stop light I found myself reaching for the volume knob on the radio to turn it down. It wasn't on:rolleyes: . Shortly after that it developed a hairline crack in the oil pan sump...Its the only time I've ever had that happen . Harmonics? My buddy uses a Milodon 3 gear setup with the cast aluminum front cover on his willys. Has worked like a champ for years , and you can't hear it over the whine of the 671. I have a brand new Pete Jackson for a BBC in the shed if anyones interested?:rolleyes:

15. bundoc bob

bundoc bob

Way back when I was doing a lot of 440 business I built a fair number with gear drives, using early 361-413 premium engine parts. Angle cut, no noise, no problem.

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Aftermarket gear drives are for making show trophies.

17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Milodon fixed idler gear drive in my roadster engine.

[​IMG]

Roger Sundfors likes this.
  18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The only acceptable gear drive.

19. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used to put cards in the spokes on my Schwinn, kinda like a gear drive for young'uns.

20. If you need a gear drive the fixed gear milodon is the way to go. If the set up directions are followed it can hardly be heard. A blown engine that has some real power needs a gear drive. They run big cams and alot of spring pressure. A chain will stretch out in no time. Belts for this type of application stretch also. The Pete Jackson floating type have their power limitations. You get what you pay for.

21. Roger Sundfors

Roger Sundfors
    from Sweden

Thanks guys for all your answers. I m going for the chain drive. Engine is a 1959 Chevy 283 with a v-belt driven 4-71 blower.
    Thanks again for your tips.
    Best Regards Roger... from the winter cold northern Sweden

chevy57dude likes this.
  22. Fordors

Fordors

Isky offered a two gear SBC drive years ago, it was not straight cut, but the helix angle was not very steep either. Even Chevrolet used two gear sets in reverse rotation SBC’s built for marine use and I believe some of the tall deck 366 and 427 truck engines had them too. A two gear drive requires a reverse ground cam.

23. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Balloons worked great too, deeper, more mellow sound....shorter life span though.....:(

David Gersic and i.rant like this.
  24. I put a Pete Jackson gear drive in a 64 Nova I had. I was 20, so when I fired it up I thought it sounded awesome. The next day I drove it to work at the Chevy dealer I worked at, about a 30 minute drive. That night, I took 4 Advil for the enormous head ache that the gear drive had caused, and then tore it all back down, and put the timing chain back in it.

Gman0046, Roger Sundfors and Hnstray like this.