Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A Full-Fendered Side Project

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

A Full-Fendered Side Project

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Curse? No way bud, it's an affliction. Just bask in the idea that you're not alone. In fact you went so far as to provide a "halfway house" for a hoard of folk similarly afflicted. Some call it an addiction but I disagree. Addictions can be cured, exorcised even. Some manufactured rehab and it goes away, but rehab is for quitters, right?

So now we need to decide if you and that other enabler are doing good or not. Some may see this as an exploitation of a psychological defect, a mental affliction that can't be helped. Maybe you could convince the inmates that it's therapy. Unless it becomes a shrine of unobtanium speed parts you guys could pull it off from that perspective. In fact maybe y'all better get that schtick down in full. Rehearse some text, provide insight, lots of pictures, etc. And don't forget to keep mentioning the pain and suffering and the sacrifices you'll be making in order to help the rest of the members deal with their own affliction. Only then will the danger of the spousal misunderstanding be avoided.

Ok, on with the show! Uh, I meant to say therpy. Oops...:cool:

3. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is cool to hear how your mind works @Ryan . I am sure the car will be bitchin' with you and Tardel on the case.

4. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll take it when you're done .sounds fun!

5. moefuzz

moefuzz

Careful, Model As are addictive and they can breed like rabbits

6. 97

It's a simple case of *OCD I am sure ! as for selling it once it's built....yeah RIGHT!!!

Until then , I am along for the ride.

* Old Car Disease

7. As a founding member of the "I Iron My Undies Intercontenental Auto Club, or IIMUIAC (pronounced "emu-e-ack" to the layperson); welcome!

Hard to pick which one I like more...anything from the 40's speaks to me in the most soulful way, so it's hard not to adore that coupe with the Lyons covers, mild chop, and minimalist 'rubber rake'. Mechanical brakes and a Winfield or Cragar-headed banger would be the ticket for such a hot rod...damn!

That being said, the "Hammered A" in the Henry's Speed Shop pics is hard to beat; raw in form, but (likely) perfect in function...I can imagine a full-house V8 (flatty, of course - just as Henry and Jesus intended), "late model" juice brakes, 'Dago' axle, and tube shocks all around. Love the massive 'rubber rake' there too. If I had the opportunity to build an A coupe, this is the one I'd build. She's glorious.

Now the question of the hour; which way you gonna go?

8. Hell it sounds like a great project to me, but I am a little unsure if you will sell it (at least for a year or so) as you are going to love it and want to drive the crap out of it......signed up for the ride....

9. brady1929

brady1929

Looking forward to this build.

10. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

My head works like that too. My wife says I missed a step in my maturation process but that childlike visual obsession thing is sumpin' she loves about me. I think some cool stuff has grown out of it.

Outback and brad2v like this.
  11. Great detective work, Ryan. Looking forward to the work on the full-fendered "A".

12. louisb

louisb

Can't wait to see what you do with this one.

--louis

13. Seems logical to me! Will you guys be aiming for the stance and chop on the coupe in front of "Hot Rod" Henry's? That coupe nails it in my opinion.

14. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Nice piece, cool photos, great idea, excellent path to motivation and justification. When the car was found, perfect proof given that them stars are aligned!

So, is the opening shot the one your friend found?

15. Danekejt

Danekejt
    from Pa

Dude get out of my head. i have been obsessing for almost on year on this exact thing. This is the exact direction i want to go now with my car addiction. How i wish i was a fly on the wall for this build. what is an estimate on price for future selling price when done?

Everyday at work i look forward to reading your article for that day. Thank you for posting them.

16. Spooky Two

Spooky Two
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

correct me if I'm wrong... but your "Henry's Speed Shop A" appears to be sporting '29 fenders and splash aprons. NICE CHOICE with a chop and drop

fenders on a fendered "A"? ...but what fender style, that really, sets the build. The early '30 with the apron split and one piece apron/running board gives you that 1940 Tardel pic look.

keen to see a merge of what's in both your heads ..from whatcha got to whereya go!

S2

gwhite likes this.
  17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

And here I thought full fendered side project ment the 38 ;)

Glad to know your brains as broken as the rest of us. Haha you know when you get a call or text at 4 am from a car guy friend that they've been up all night with there brain building faster than a "reality" show episode.

18. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

That idea of building something you see in your head just so you can get things right and move onto the next thing is something that haunts me every day. I'm looking forward to seeing progress!

Outback likes this.
  19. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Cool start to an already neat A. Never seen those old photos. They are really something.

20. Rand Man

Rand Man

I'm interested.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  21. when strapped for time and money, the solution is to focus.
    playing marriage counselor and financial advisor: bad idea.

22. tony starr

tony starr

23. I need to see more of this one!!!

kidcampbell71 and Jungle Jalopy like this.
  24. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

kidcampbell71 and Jungle Jalopy like this.
  25. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

We just picked up the car... This is point where you go, "What hell have we done?"

01.jpg

But actually, the damn thing is pretty nice. The body, in particular, is cherry... and the fenders are as solid as you'll find these days.

It's gonna be cute.

v8paul, Outback, kiwijeff and 7 others like this.
  26. YJ4000

YJ4000

That car is sweet! This should be fun. Lookin' forward to following along.

Ryan.

27. more pictures please

28. Blakmerk

Blakmerk
    from St.Joe MO

In the good graces with the other half, come on. We know better.

29. oldcargary

oldcargary
    from devore, Ca

When you no longer have thoughts like this in your head, you will be very sad....car guys keep building cars. (looks like a fun project)

30. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Just add some cowl lights and you'd have a Rod&Custom cover car ala 1968, ha, ha :)

Jungle Jalopy likes this.