Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical A Frontenac Mystery

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Are you going to Hershey?

You might get some answers there, especially if you have the radiator/shell in hand?

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

If you are going to Hershey and need a spot to display the radiator or photos of it and a question and and answer request poster feel free to use mine C4J 41-42. :)

3. Harms Way

Harms Way

Thanks guys, but Hershey is out of the question this year,.... I have a ton of work to do on and in the shop before the snow starts to fly (which will be way to soon),...... I really would like to reunite this radiator & shell with it's history,.... I was invited to take it down to the Brickyard Museum to see if I can do some research,.. maybe sometime this winter if there open.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. The37Kid

The37Kid

If it is the radiator from the pit wreck photo be sure find that spot and take a photo of it there.

5. Harms Way

Harms Way

This thread is back from the dead !

Just thought some of you would like to know,.............

Well the ol' Fronty Shell & Radiator was just sitting in the office of the shop,... a pal that worked for the GM Archive, said he knew a few guys that should be able to get to the bottom of it. after perusing it pretty closely for quite a while and comparing it to what ever information they were able to find,.... The general consensus is,...........

They feel very strongly, (based on there research) that this is almost certainly the radiator from Louis Chevrolet's Car# 3 Frontenac/Monroe, 1920 Indy car that had a accident, and went out on lap#94 due to steering issues. The reason they can't tell us 100% for sure,.... is there is no other parts from any of these Frontenac / Monroe cars known to exist,... At this time this is the ONLY piece known to have survived of any of the 1920-21 Frontenac Race Cars,.......... So there you have it !

To the best of my knowledge this is the word on this really interesting part of Auto Racing history. Thanks guy's,..... it's been a wild ride !

SS327, Outback, bowie and 1 other person like this.
  6. The Hitch Hiker

The Hitch Hiker

I love how the pace car driver is wearing a suit!

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for the update! Nice to have a confirmation on my thoughts from the early days of this post.:)

8. GARY?

GARY?

Well hot damn! Thanks for the update.

9. Harms Way

Harms Way

Actually,... you and your thoughts, along with the picture from the Fox book were my driving motivation to keep going on this,..... I spent the last week thinking about what to do with it (read that worrying about it, How could I display it?, leaving it hang on the wall at the shop would be risky at best),.... it deserves to be seen,... so my pal in Canton is going to find it a new owner,.... I was actually nervous around it after finding out what it was.

The guy's from the brickyard wanted me to donate it,.... but my Son is struggling to buy a house, My Wife and I are currently in no position to help them....... So whatever it brings, will go toward there down payment and help put a roof over there heads.

I hate to let it go,.... but it's kind of scary keeping it,.... someone else needs to maintain, show, and conserve it. take care of it like it should be taken care of.

10. Harms Way

Harms Way

I need help,... does anybody have a clear Scan of this picture from the Jack Fox INDY 500 book ?

11. Harms Way

Harms Way

Anybody ?????

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

I watched the auction end, sure hope it goes to a good home.:(

13. Phil Moore

Phil Moore
    from California

Sure Has!!!!! Yahoo!

14. Harms Way

Harms Way

Hey Phil,..
    I thought it was going to Australia,... either way. I was sorry to let it go, but were trying to help my son out on closing on his house,.... When it comes to rare parts, this is the rarest of the rare,..... congratulations !

I felt honored to have owned it for the time I did, and excited to have had the HAMB Brotherhood help return it's history to it. Could you Imagine what might have happened to this Unique piece of auto racing history, if it's past remained a mystery ?

All HAMBers (especially Ryan) deserve a pat on the back for this one,.... and now are truly part of it's ongoing history,... As it turns out, I just about "Broke even" on it,.... But I get to help out my son, and see this Fronty part enjoyed and preserved.

Very Best Regards,..... Dennis (a.k.a. Harms Way)

15. Phil Moore

Phil Moore
    from California

It is going to a good home in Australia and will be preserved and very much appreciated by the new owner.

Phil

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Congratulations Phil, are you the owner of the Fronty clone?

17. Phil Moore

Phil Moore
    from California

No I'm not the owner of the Clone. Just into Frontys

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

The neat roadster with the DO Fronty? :confused:

19. Phil Moore

Phil Moore
    from California

Dont have a DO Fronty Roadster, do you have anty pics of the DO Roadster you are speaking of?

20. ZigZagZ

ZigZagZ
    from LA

Ancient, but fun thread that I thought would be worth another look.

Note the curvature at the bottom of the radiator:
    [​IMG]

Now look at the curvature in the bottom of the radiator in this picture:
    [​IMG]

The size & shape of the cooling fins appear to be correct also.

Opinions???

21. Harms Way

Harms Way

I have little,.. if any doubt that it is the genuine article,.... and a significant part of racing history,... just glad it went to a good home.

Outback likes this.
  22. ZigZagZ

ZigZagZ
    from LA

Another interesting tid bit of information:

[​IMG]

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

Crossmember and THE radiator. Bob

Attached Files:

24. Col Pudgebutt

Col Pudgebutt
    from IN

what color is the 1920 winner of Gaston Chevrolets? I have seen conflicting info on the color of the car: some have it a medium to navy blue with a red nose and others show it almost as a grass green with the red nose.

which is it????? I'm thinking of making a model of it and have seen some models in blue but a more recent one in green. I"m soooooo confused.

Attached Files:

25. jimdillon

jimdillon

I had thought the 1920 Monroes were green and the 1920 Frontenacs were maroon. I have seen red but I seem to remember reading that they had a shade close to maroon. I seem to remember some reporter saying they were "marooned in the pits" referring to the color although I cannot swear it was 1920 (maybe late teens but Louis may have been partial to maroon-who knows). In that William Small was putting up the bankroll if may be that he wanted some differences between the Monroes and Frontenacs

I had a model of the 1920 winner and mine was green and I have seen some with a red flower pedal front. The Coburn photos seem to show some differences in the shade on the front so it may be red on at least Gaston's car.-Jim

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

I have an unbuilt AURORA model around here somewere and the box art has a blue car with red nose for whatever that is worth. Bob :)

27. SteveLines

SteveLines
    from England

I came across this great old thread and wondered if any more information was ever found out about the Frontenac radiator please?!

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

I think it went to Australia. Bob

29. SteveLines

SteveLines
    from England

Thank Bob, yes I think it did. Just wondered if any other history or a positive ID have happened since.

30. Phil Moore

Phil Moore
    from California

Coming soon..............

zb.jpg