Register now to get rid of these ads!

A "friend" spent my deposit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mint Julep, Feb 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dyce

Dyce

I'm not up to date on what is accepted today either. In my own expearience I've found it's a free for all. Gas prices, food prices, housing, utilities, and car repair have all gone sky high. The cost of living has gone up, but wages have not kept up. People are looking everywhere for extra cash just to pay the bills. You post a theif on this site and you here alot of shit. I'd wait and see. He just might come through. Then if he does, a freindship you have can be just a little stronger. You know he is struggling, and if he can pay you back he went to some effort (or he screwed anouther freind)

2. grf-x

grf-x

It amazes me what friends think is okay or acceptable behavior. I agree with Ratrod37 a true friend would ask for help. I would like to think that my best friend would not do this to me. I hope things work out for you and any one else who may find themselves in this situation.

3. Gator

Gator

I had a 'friend' clip me for about $350 - about half what he promised me in labor to help him get one of his paying customer's cars done for a show deadline.

I just figure that's what my 'friendship' was worth to him - I haven't been to his shop or helped him out since. Saw him at the swap this weekend, he still won't look me in the eye.

His loss.

4. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Maybe your requirements for accepting a person as a friend need to be tightened up a bit. I have had a few "friends" like that myself. Remember that the only successful con men are the ones who can make you trust them.

5. 327Eric

327Eric

Lose the guy. Slick associates like that will only come back for more and more. I lost a 51 ford coupe because a guy i trusted sold it for me. Never saw the mony. The only compensation was that when he did it to another friend of mine, that friend beat the crap out of him.

6. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

There's an old saying... When it comes to sex or money, sooner or later you'll get screwed!
    In your situation, he's taking advatage of your friendship. In other words: He's shitting all over you! I'm saying this because he wouldn't take a stranger's deposit and spend it because he knows that he'd get his ass kicked or shot.
    Demand the money back, and "If" you get it back, call him up and tell him that he's a Lo-life....." Don't ever contact you again!"

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  7. bjinatj

bjinatj

Not cool... Lose the buddy.

8. Mooseandsqurl53

Mooseandsqurl53
    from N.J.

Glad it worked out for you. Can't trust anyone these days, buyer, seller, friend, anyone. When I sell a car, aside from having been paid for it, my policy is "it doesn't leave this property until the title is in your name". I've seen it where they don't flip it, put a set of phony plates on, have an accident, and guess whose head is on the chopping block? If they don't like the terms, my retort is "Keep looking" for someone elses car. PS: I'd frame that note he gave you.

9. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

IMO, when you loan money to, or otherwise try to help just about anyone you know, you stand about a 50% chance of ending up being an ASSHOLE in their eyes whether you help or not.

I have lived my whole life not borrowing anything from friends or family, (aside from a little from my parents when I was young). I have NOT exercised the same restraint when trying to help family and friends.

I have loaned money, given gifts that were seemingly NEEDED, sold cars I wanted for myself CHEAP, and almost every time I have ended up being an asshole for doing it.

Unfortunately, human nature just sucks....

"but like a fool, I keep on trying... " :D (not so much anymore)

10. Really depends on the situations of both people, me and a good buddy are throwing money back and forth all the time with no issues, been in for thousands before but generally just $50 here and there.

It always balances out, it's always paid back and we've never had to speak about it. It goes both ways which is probably what makes it easier. We've been friends for about 15 years now and I have no idea who owes who money right this second but it all comes out in the wash.

Now most friends, you are right, I would never loan money to. But for me, a friend is someone that I can trust implicitly regardless of the situation - and I have 2 of them.

11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

A favorite phrase of mine is "no good deed goes unpunished" !

Though I have plenty of experience to support that somewhat cynical motto, I nevertheless still do good deeds when I feel inclined to help out. However, I also keep that admonition in mind so that I am not too upset when things don't work out quite like I had hoped.

Ray

12. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

That was no "friend".

13. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

Every time I got screwed it has been from a "friend" when it comes deals cash is king and get every thing out front!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.