Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A few pics of the Caddy Flathead '32 loadster project

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Pete, Mar 21, 2011.

1. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Good eye!!! I would have never found that which would have led me to either welding the doors up or burning the entire car. Glad you found the culprit. NOW GET US PICS DAMMIT!!!!

2. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

pics or it didn't happen. ;)

3. Can't wait to see the pictures. How did you mount the motor? I'm really think about putting my caddie flathead in the 32truck. Thanks george

4. Petey baby, I miss your seductive texts. Did we break up?

Sounds like you have an early 32 roadster with the sucked in quarter? Hahaha. I do... Most people never even notice the fatory flaw, which was later retooled and fixed for the end run of the 32 roadster. Your roadster looks sick!

There is a running 40 Cadoo in my neighborhood for sale for cheap, I had to pass. Trying to get rid of stuff not collect anymore.

5. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

That's some amazing stuff right there......very cool looking ride Pete

6. Pete

Pete

Iv been working as much as possible on the car after work and on the weekends but between work and other obligations its just hard to get a full days work in. I was able to get some valuable time in last night and tonight. The body is pretty much ready to come off the frame and be blasted and metal finished, all the rinky dink shit that seems to take the longest is finally done....fuel tank mounted, battery tray mounted, all of the fuel line, battery cable and electrical lines have been drilled and dressed. Seat and seat belts are mounted and done, column drop was cut and re-angled. Clutch linkage and brake linkage are all done, dash has been fitted and filled with all the gauges and doo-dads. Taillight mount has been made, trunk hinges, latch and handle are finally done,,,,that really sucked.

I made the upper radiator tubes....when I ordered the new radiator I failed to get it with 2 ports, so I just made a stainless "Y" for now.....I cut and rotated the factory cooling tubes on the heads to better align the rubber hoses with the new "Y" tube. The lower tube was a "you know what"!!!! The water pump and radiator connection were close enough so that a one piece rubber hose wouldn't fit so I had to make a "Z" tube and couple it with rubber, all and all it worked out and doesn't look like total shit.....

Pete-

Attached Files:

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I thought about doing a "Y" in my '35 as well but ended up capping one port off and doing it conventionally. I like the way you did it though, That's looks pretty cool but I wouldn't blame ya for wanting to change it if it's not what you want.

I'm stoked to see the entire project. What's the thought on color?

My '39 Cadillac Gauge cluster would have looked really rad in this car. You should have bought it :D

8. I kinda like the "Y". This thing is gonna be rad!

Mike

9. Pete

Pete

JJ.....

Dude, you never told me you had a caddy gauge set???? What gives???

10. Pete

Pete

I also found a generator that fit the motor...sorta....If you look close you can the original caddy generator mounts which were cast into the front cover of the original unit. I cut the mounts off the caddy one and used them as spacers and slide adjusters on the Ford pick-up generator....it worked slick and beats paying $1,000 bucks for a flathead caddy power gen! and, the original flathead pulley bolted right onto the Ford body...

Pete-

P.s.

Cactus...I didnt forget about you....

11. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Sorry buddy, it was in the classifieds. Nobody wants it though so it sits on my shelf waiting for that special someone. I think it's such a cool gauge set because it's a sweep set but the type on each gauge looks very much like 1939. I think it would be killer center mounted in a roadster or early custom car like a '40 Merc with a Cadillac engine etc.

[​IMG]

12. I am diggin the Y rad hose too...........unique!

13. myke

myke
    from SoCal

That's a totally cool project, I just noticed this thread. Nice work!!

I have been playing with a '47 Cadillac sedanette myself. Just picked up these parts for it.

Maybe I will see you guys this time when you come out west. I hope to be driving my Cadillac then.

Mike

[​IMG]

14. Pete

Pete

Myke,

You suck!

Pete-

15. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

hi pete.

looks good.

16. brady1929

brady1929

17. Pete nice work on the radiator hoses they look great!

18. gonzo

gonzo

Dang Pete it looks like hard work making that radiator and flat Cad motor play nice together. How long did those lower hose adapters take to make?

19. Unforgettable, that's what I are....

Sweet buddy! Just lemme know.

20. Pete

Pete

I made a few small changes to the hose set up. I really didnt like the way the tubes looked so I cut them shorter and added more rubber radiator hose on both sides, looks a lot better. I made some copper fuel lines with isolation rubber, I bent them to avoid running the lines directly over the headers, the headers will be wrapped to keep the heat down.

I added a few shots of progress, with the recent storm and the lack of power for 2 + days and the cleanup its been a little difficult to make time for the roadster...but I did manage to get a few things done.

Got the seat and seat belts mounted, got the dash somewhat populated and finally got the tank and battery mounted.

Front shocks mounted.

Pete-

Attached Files:

21. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

22. Pete

Pete

Indeed!

I have this week off...what a surprise a pretty intense storm rips through the east coast! I was hoping to use this entire week to work solely on the roadster but...oh well.

Pete-

23. gonzo

gonzo

Getting all fancy and shit with your interior. Next thing you know you'll have a latching deck lid. This seat is killer!

[​IMG]

24. lorodz

lorodz

looking awsome ...

25. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Man, this whole build is great... so many cool old parts and thoughtful details. Nice work!

Where did you get the seatbelts? Are they old or something you found new?

Malcolm

26. Pete

Pete

Malcolm,

I bought those from a dude here on the HAMB, they are original WW2 pieces. The seat was stitched by a friend who collects old leather couches and reuses the material.

Pete-

27. Pete

Pete

I'm hoping to get a gasket kit next week so I can pull the pan and clean the pump along with the lifter rails. I really wanted to pull the body and blast the frame before the Jamboree but there just inst enough time. I haven't finished boxing the frame yet either but everything has pretty good tack welds which will be ok to drive it off a trailer.

Pete-

28. Lookin good!

I have a set of belts identical to those thats going up for sale shortly

29. Looks great Pete. Now i have to start looking for old couches!

30. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Cool. ...and funny (great idea) that your seat is old couch leather. I also looked around for old couches to use the leather on my Roadster seat. Ended up finding some decent looking distressed leather on Ebay.