Register now to get rid of these ads!

A few pics of my 56 Chevy survivor!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barnfind 56, Nov 24, 2009.

1. colorado51

colorado51

Hmmm, well just because CC liked it dosen't mean the LS engine was a good idea....BUT its your car and you can build it however you want.

I DO love the look of the car though, and I can respect the work that went in to it.

2. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

What ladder? Oh you meant latter. More new guys need to Read This First!

3. wild willey

wild willey

I am VERY GREEN with envy!!!! My Dad had one like yours that was his prize hot rod. Unfortunately my father passed away when I was 17. You have a BEAUTY!!!! Enjoy the POWER TOUR and you and your Dad have a blast!!!!!!

4. BLAKE

BLAKE

There's something about having that modern, hi-tech powertrain feeding into white fenderwell headers that I REALLY like...!

5. CarGar

CarGar

Barnfind,

Nice car. Mind sharing what tranny and rear gear you've got? Presume it's got a posi; otherwise you'll be taking 3 seconds to get out of the hole. ;-)

What's it taching at 75? Done any MPG checks yet?

Cheers -- Gary

Real joy comes not from ease or riches or from the praise of men, but from doing something worthwhile.
-- Sir Wilfred Grenfell

6. wvenfield

wvenfield

Just to play along. So if he has a few gallons of pastel blue and a new set of sawcut wheels laying around, he should just use them?

I'm all for being frugal, but I'm pretty sure one could make out trading the drivetrain he has for a 327. (just for discussion)

7. novadude

novadude

Love it, INCLUDING the powertrain!!! :)

8. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

I'm really about hotrods. Period. Hotrodding is making something go faster. This car would smoke probably 80% of the cars on here. I hang on here because I love traditional styling but I still believe in the very roots of building a hotrod.... to go faster.

This car is the best of both worlds...and one hell of a sleeper. Just like all of you are saying, people would expect a 327 or stroked 283 or something to be in there. Then he blows them out of the water.....LOL

I'll bet with the mods on the LS he is pushing WELL over 400 horsepower.

Love this car man....perfect dead nuts styling with a hell of a sleeper engine!

9. Barnfind 56

Barnfind 56

Trans is Tremec 6 speed with stock clutch. I am running a 12 bolt rearend (posi) with 4.10's in it for now, I have a set of 4.56 gears sitting here waiting to be put in. I need the 4.56's for this cam and tire combo, the cam doesn't like cruising in town under 2000 rpms very much. At 75mph it is turning 2200 rpm's. It averages 23-25 mpg.

10. Damn thats very cool,I just took my 56 on the road to good guys with 4:11 gears and a old school 327/4spd set up (may add a 5 spd)and at 65mph it was 3000rpm and 15mpg.....so you have something going for ya,the ONLY reason I wouldnt do it to my 56 is it was built "in the day" but my merc will follow your lead

11. rgaller

rgaller

Exactly my point! I am young, all I know is EFI and how reliable it is. Cars go well over 100,000 miles nowadays thanks to all the upgrades and enhancements with computer controls. Nowadays it's easy to get over 300HP yet still get nearly 20mpg....you simply couldn't do that "back in the day". Oh well, to each his own:)

12. CarGar

CarGar

Woof. That's some cam you have there. Have you given us its specifications?

Sounds like you've balanced the street/strip scale a couple bubbles toward the strip side. Way cool with your highway MPGs but I wonder whether it would be funner on the street with a little less cam and the 4.10s. You're gonna need a cage if you can get it to hook. I'm thinking 11s and 120+.

Stay safe!

Cheers -- Gary

I have yet to see any problem, however complicated, which, when you looked at it in the right way, did not become still more complicated. -- Paul Anderson

13. All the Hot Rodding and Customizing I've ever know over the last 50 years has been about one thing, and one thing only. Making "your car" YOURS...That's what it will always be about. Ignore the Eliteists whether they're 60 or 25 who have the small balls to tell you how and what you should do with your own ride. Personally, I love the look AND the attitude under the hood, and that's as much right as I have to express..it's an opinion. You seem like a young man who really has it figured out. Build it the way you like it Man.... Leave it as it is, or Chop it, Prime it and Bag it like a thousand other guys who think they're "style leaders" ...it's your car. I'll never understand how anybody on the Forum especially, being all "original and Traditional" could ever in a million years stifle the creativity that makes this hobby and its Icons what it is...These weasels should tell Winfield, Roth, Oz and the rest that they did it and are doing it "wrong"....like they would know.... Congratulations on a fine ride now, and whatever you do with it...you are the true spirit of Rodding....Centurion9

14. Rusty Junk Ranch

Rusty Junk Ranch

You guys need to stop taking our California cars outta here !:D
    Nice job though!!!

15. CarGar

CarGar

Oops. Sorry. My bad. Apologies

I see from your profile that it's an 'MS4' cam, which seems to be at least, 239/242 .649"/.610" 111°

Some LS guys say it's a little ragged for a street application, which I think you've sort of agreed to.

Which brings up the question about the PCM tune. Your attention to detail suggests to me that you've sorted this out, as well. Has it been on a dyno or did you get a mail order tune?

Inquiring minds want to know, and my awe is increasing by the minute.

I suspect the idle doesn't make it a sleeper any more. ;-)

Cheers -- Gary

There is nothing to it,. You only have to hit the right notes at the right time and the instrument plays itself.
-- J S Bach

16. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Lol, and you are wrong. MPG has not gone up that much. And there were plenty of cars that went over 100k reliably with carbs. Hell my Rambler regularly got mid to high 20's on the highway with a pretty stout SBC and a carb. Just because you are ignorant of what came before do not immediately condem it. Computer controls have added nothing to the longevity of cars.

And ignore that this is the HAMB while you are at it. :confused:

17. Barnfind 56

Barnfind 56

Actually this car drives really nice on the street with the exception of a little buck to it at 1800 rpms's in 4th gear cruising. That's why I am going with the 4.56's. The tune is REALLY good, I sent my computer to Texas Speed and had them do a tune on it. I have had cars in the past that were built a little too much for the street and I did not enjoy driving them. This one is definately not the case, it is a blast to drive and I never get tired of driving it EVER!!
    When I get home tonight I will try and post up a start up video of the car so you can get an idea how it sounds.

18. Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by Centurion9 [​IMG]
    Ignore the Eliteists whether they're 60 or 25 who have the small balls to tell you how and what you should do with your own ride.
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    And ignore that this is the HAMB while you are at it. :confused: <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

So maybe he should show his car somewhere else....? Tell him so then.......Your attitude is what I'm referring to. Nice....East Coast VS West Coast builders, Kustoms VS Lowriders....Everybody seems to be an expert.....Like there's no freedom to think outside the box on the HAMB??? Half the cars posted here would be gone for the sake of some of you experts on tradition. Look at some coverage from those days and you'll see exactly what I'm saying....plenty of variety...:) Stuff for all of us to enjoy....

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  19. Big Tony

Big Tony

Dig the patina...enjoy

20. Django

Django
    from Chicago

The packaging is awesome! The creamy center is not so creamy though... :D Hahaha!

Maybe you need one of those fancy Chip/Troy/Boyd engine covers, but give it some matching patina. That would be pretty funny. :D

We have an LS-1 that is going into one of our '67 Chevelles that my Dad wants to build for my Mom, if we ever get to that one.

And in closing, I'm pretty sure that your car would kill all of mine (and several other's too) at the strip, including my big block chevelle. :D

21. impalabuilder

impalabuilder
    from NJ

White is the new black, LSX is the new 350/350

McMotor is what I call it, you see them in BMW track racers, Mazdas, and I think I saw a guy build a chainsaw with one...

This car is like a semi-hot chick on TV...meh, but I wouldn't kick her out of my bed!

22. roadsterman32

roadsterman32
    from wi

What, am I the only one that connected the fact that he shot pics of his survivor in the cemetary?? I guess some are to busy getting upset with the engine. Nice car.

23. photoman

photoman
    from Texas

Everything on the outside is perfect except for the Caltracs.

24. dannyego

dannyego

I would put that in my garage. IF it runs and drives Phuq it...

25. 32fenderless

32fenderless

wow Scott! 6 pages-it has gotten more attention than some "traditional posts" haha.

I dont see how this car is any different than a custom with a triangulated 4 bar with air bags. or a flathead with a T5 behind it.
    You and Jim are going to have an awesome time on power tour. That will be a great expierence.
    This car is awesome. period

Jason

26. wvenfield

wvenfield

Many noted that it looked great as long as you kept the hood shut. One doesn't generally see a t5 or upgraded suspension as long as you keep your car right side up.

Most would suggest that you do that also. :D

27. Dig the car...I do like the LS motor and the fender well headers...where did you put the O2 sensor?

I like the fact you kept the killer look with drivetrain for driveability. My buddy who has a 540 lingenfelter motor from the late 80's-early 90's in his 70 chevelle has wanted to do the power tour forever...but the car has a th400 and 411's....does not like the highway. For a big car it gets up! But not for crusing long distances......so what i am getting at....you did the drivetrain right for the long haul. Well planned. True Hambers would probably let a sbc with the a six speed fly but "computer bad" is what I am hearing....hell, it is a hot rod...your personallity...

The good thing about cars is that you can evolve them (or devolve them?) as you see fit....maybe next year you add a tunnel ram sbc...

I dig the car...like driveability after breaking down so much!

28. 66Coronet440

66Coronet440

I love the car and the motor. I'm all for traditional, but it's the perfect blend of classic and modern. I can't imagine many LS1's have fenderwells bolted to them.

29. Barnfind 56

Barnfind 56

Those are not Caltracs, they are the old style traction bars that I bought thru Danchuck. Not very effective though :D.

30. photoman

photoman
    from Texas

OK. Kind of like Traction Masters I guess.